TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i squeeze my clutch lever it does not operate smoothly. It operates, but the action is... creaky. It's on a 2019 tw. Could this be a cable lubrication issue? I watched some youtube videos and it doesn't look too difficult.

·
Registered
805 Posts
The creaky feel is something binding. When enough tension is applied, the bind is overcome and the lever jumps to the next bind. Repeat and it's a creaky feel. It could be poor assembly on the cable route. I'd start there. It could be a lube issue. I don't think they come from the factory lubed, the dealer does it as part of assembly. If the cable is mounted right, I'd lube it. I use Corrosion-X.

·
Registered
336 Posts
When i squeeze my clutch lever it does not operate smoothly. It operates, but the action is... creaky. It's on a 2019 tw. Could this be a cable lubrication issue? I watched some youtube videos and it doesn't look too difficult.
This has been affecting a number of members with newer TWs including my 2019, and I have done evvvvverythang to try and resolve, cable lube kit, lubed the top of the push lever assembly, lubed the clutch lever hinge... nothin.

Talking with my friend we both agree that the clutch push lever spring just might be a weak spring which explains as the clutch wears in over a lot of miles, the friction zone gets further out on the lever, creating less of the jerky/sticky/creaky clutch we are experiencing.

For some reason when I swapped my handlebars this last time, the clutch lever release softened up a bit, but my friction zone is pretty small and close to fully releasing the clutch lever... so who knows!? Some people say put a couple hundred miles on it and it gets less noticeable, some people only have the problem when the bike is cold, mine goes away after changing the handlebars...

You can try lubing (which helped mine a little) but maybe loosening the whole cable at top and bottom then readjusting, and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts
Given the way these bikes are delivered to the dealer, the first thing you need to look at is the cable routing from the bars to the engine. Long sweeping curves are good, sudden changes in direction are not

May sound simple enough, but you need to check this first …..

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cable seems routed correctly. The spring is installed correctly as well. It feels like the creak comes from the pivot point or swivel where it enters the case. Can that point be lubricated with some type of dry lube or silicon or something?

·
Registered
336 Posts
The cable seems routed correctly. The spring is installed correctly as well. It feels like the creak comes from the pivot point or swivel where it enters the case. Can that point be lubricated with some type of dry lube or silicon or something?
I hit the top of the push lever assembly with a little PB blaster just around the spring and a really light spray, and worked the clutch lever a bit. Didn’t seem to make too much of a difference.just an FYI for my bike.

Had a friend of mine look at it and just thinks the spring tension of the return spring might be a little weak, but that’s just speculation.

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts
Can that point be lubricated with some type of dry lube or silicon or something?
Unlikely as you will be going into an oil seal at some point - as it's a 2019, roll with it and see how it pans out. The tolerances on these bikes isn't great, so it may work itself out ....

·
Registered
303 Posts
This problem seems to be commonly reported with owners of 18-19 model TW's. Yamaha also changed the clutch disc shape recently, I'm thinking these are related. There have been several threads about it, but a new one pops up every day or two about someone's new TW with a crummy clutch that doesn't operate smoothly or stalls the engine frequently when clicking into gear.

Problem is the "old" clutch plate part # have been superseded by the new one, so even if you order ones for an old TW, you'll get the new plates. Yamaha claims the new plates have improved oil circulation, but honestly it seems they fixed a problem that wasn't there are created a new one in the process.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2019 does the same thing!
When it warms up, it is a little better.
When I am riding and shifting gears, sometimes I have to push the clutch lever away from the handle bars with my finger to get it to release.
The clutch lever gets stuck at about 3/4 out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts