TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I try to "soften my heart" a little, lol...maybe I'm just being overly paranoid, I tell myself; maybe it's not actually that big of a deal and not really that common, I say. But then it gets reconfirmed, and I get pissed off again. The owner of the bike in the video below had 3 complete failures and then went to a manual tensioner (I hate those even more than the failure-prone OEM units; they are NOT a solution AT ALL, IMO! I am absolutely not a fan of those Krieger kits: kudos to the guy for trying, but they're no better than OEM!). Yea, this is a rant...I want a perfect world, lol.

I just can't wrap my head around why a massive company like Honda can't get it together and just build a tensioner that isn't a useless piece of shit. It can't possibly be that damn difficult. CBRs, CRFs, NCs...20+ years and still we get failing tensioners. WTF!? Seriously Honda!?!? :mad: Of course it isn't just with Honda, or just with tensioners. I hate that a lot of motorcycle parts in general are often built with such shoddy quality control and/or poor engineering/design flaws. Plastic oil pump gears in the Beta four strokes, for example (spec'd for replacement every 80 hours...that's every THREE THOUSAND MILES, CONSERVATIVELY! But at least they can be replaced with metal gears). I mean...really!? So ends this particular obligatory occasional rant against motorcycle quality.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Time to get a good old reliable t-dub again.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I hear you though. That crap drives me nuts..

Reactions: kj7687

·
Registered
4 Posts
I actually did watch the video. He replaced the OEM unit a couple times, he use ONE of mine. Not three, but one. A bit of oil from the O-ring seal, if he contacted me I could have helped with the issue. Apparently though it does function exactly how it should. Seems he hasn't had any true problem. So how is it "more prone to failure than the OEM unit"?

·
Super Moderator
5,312 Posts
it seems I'm doing a pretty good job instead of "a good try". I have another CRF tensioner being sent out tomorrow along with two KLX orders to Australia and two others for the U.S.
How many of the things do you have to order before calling them a pile of crap ?

(Welcome to the board btw) ......

·
Registered
4 Posts
I watched the video. He replaced the OEM unit a couple times, he use ONE of mine. Not three, but one. A bit of oil from the O-ring seal, if he contacted me I could have helped with the issue, either a slightly bigger cross section O-ring or a dab of silicone seal in with the O-ring. Apparently though it does function exactly how it should. Seems he hasn't had any true problem, otherwise I would think he would have said so in the video. So how are manual tensioners "more prone to failure than the OEM unit"? The only way they will go out of adjustment is if the rider doesn't tighten down the lock nut properly, doesn't adjust the chain slack properly, or the chain has worn a bit. He mentioned none of that.

The TT/XT/SR 500/400 all run a manual unit. They are simple to use and only require adjustment if a bit of ticking in the cam drive comes around.

·
Super Moderator
5,312 Posts
As far as the TW goes, 1987 to 2001 had the manual tensioner, post 2001 to present has the automatic one – no problems reported (though the occasional one or two usually slip through the net)

Dude – take a chill pill and relax – ride a TW, give the adrenalin glands a break lol …..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did they use the one like the SRs? Yamaha had the slickest trick with the hollow adjuster bolt and the pin that fit inside. If the pin tip was "dancing" turn the adjuster in until it just stopped dancing - perfect!

I wish it wouldn't be so expensive to do the same for mine. Great system.

I wouldn't get too bugged, but I found this and it was ridiculous. No problems equals "more failure prone"? Had to say something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
By the way, yes I like the TW, cool bikes. I have to think they are better riding than the balloon tire BWs.

I hope I'm okay here, I have a Yamaha XSR700, a 78 SR500 street tracker project, and a Zuma 125 does that get me some brownie points? 😊

1 - 10 of 10 Posts