TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just over 10,000 miles on my '13 and the original rear tire is showing it. Still legal but not good in the mud anymore. Changing tires is not my favorite thing to do but the thought of paying someone to do it motivates me.:p

Made a tire stand from part of a junk piece of equipment I found at work. A wide base and weight of 75 lbs. makes it stable and about the perfect height. Just added some 2 x 8s for the top and 1/2" all thread to hold the wheel.. No more getting on the garage floor and wrestling with a rim.

My "balancer" is an old bicycle wheel truing stand with some added bearings. Seems to work well enough, just add weights to the lite side. Still need to check the valves and install the Seat Concepts seat then I'll be ready for the riding season.

1.JPG

2.JPG

This is how I break the beads down, soapy water and the tire iron. Pry the bead down a little, soapy water, keep working a 12 inch section. A minute or less per side is usually all it takes on tube tires.
3.JPG

Rim protectors and tire irons, small bites at a time.
4.JPG

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet, except that new tire looks exactly like the OEM one! :p

Good job getting 10K on a 2013 already.
Up close and in person, you could really see the difference in tread. The original tread was about 75% gone. The TW is the only bike I have ever had that could go 10,000 miles on an original rear tire and still be legal. Having only 13hp has its advantages!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Nice tire stand.

I just sit on the low rolling seat in the garage and do the tires right on the floor. Did the TW tires, PC800, R1100R, K100, Fatboy, etc. Just go slow and steady and use the soapy water.

I have a HF balancing stand and a box of stick on weights. Offroad bikes get Slimed (TW, CT90s) and the rest of them get dyna beads for the final balance after the tires are run in for a few miles.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Wow, that is a lot of serious miles on a bike such as a TW.
Great.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Nice set up. I first used a big C-clamp to break the beads lose on my first tire change. The next tire I bought the bead breaker and balancer from Harbor Freight. Either way sure beat the tire irons breaking the bead.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a lot of miles in a few years, well done. I had no idea a stock tire would last that long. How about the front tire?
The stock front tire is crap off road from day 1 but I did manage to get 3,000 miles on it. It was well worn by then.

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Awesome repurpose! I need to try and make something like this. I've been wrestling the tires on a shop table for far too long!

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
And don't forget to have someone hang off the back to make sure you have the correct color line on the tire like Wrench-Puller did with his wife. He used bungee cords to hold her in place...once she calmed down! :p

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
...give all the credit to Wrench Puller for this um sketch. If I did it, I wouldn't have used colored sketching devices! Notice the Red Bungee Cords. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts