TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

crosswind performance

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  kdick91 
#1 ·
When I am riding in a stiff crosswind, right quartering usually, the bike gags, chokes and today it quit twice. But when I turn downwind or a rear quartering crosswind, the bike runs like new. What is going on here?

#2 ·
Ive not had it happen on a TW, but some bikes will either cavitate or even "supercharge" at the snorkel entrance to the airbox if a crosswind is srong enough. Those can lead to a temporary lean or rich condition.

Since yours is occurring when the wind is quartering on the snorkel side this could be one cause.

#4 ·
+1.

The same sorta thing but different can occur through the carb vents, as well. Either would be in the "goofy" category with the stock setup, but possible.

#9 ·
I had this happen often in Kansas. The wind blowing from the right at just the right angle would cause the motor to stumble.

Haven't had it happen since moving to Georgia. No long straight roads where the wind can hit me for any length of time.

#10 ·
yeah, it happened again this morning when I was coming back into town from the ranch. Again, a right quartering wind, once I turned onto the county road and angled away from the wind of about 20 or 25 mph, it ran fine. I am going to try and figure out some way to shield the carburetor and see if that works.

#12 ·
My 97 has done this since the day I got it. I've found that when this happens, if I chicken-wing my legs out, it stops. That is to say, if I bring my knees away from the bike, giving a good air space for the wind to flow straight through, I don't have the problem. Unfortunately, thats really darn irritating. I've got a drilled airbox cover these days, and it *didn't solve it*, so don't bother

Another data point: usually when I come to a stop, no amount of wind will make this happen. I'm more likely to get blown over sideways than to have the bike stall at a stop.

#14 ·
Your bike may need a rejet. It's probably on the edge of 'too lean' where a surge of air causes it to go too lean to run. If you want to do some experimenting, some shims on the needle may offset the condition slightly if this is the issue.

#16 ·
It may be a bit rich
Have you read your plug recently? I'm working on tuning mine now, so I'm not sure if 118 is a very rich jet, though it doesn't sound like it. I'm currently running a 122.5 from ProCycle at sea level. I'm not sure what the conversion is though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.