1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
821 Posts
Crows are fine targets and tough to hunt. You hang a dead crow in a tree. The rest the flock will come check it out and fly away. They
then will send scouts to scan the orchard before landing. That's where scarecrows sometimes work.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

They're also handy for cleaning up dinner scraps ;)
I liked that one!! Thanks for sharing Sista!!... :D

LT, Can we get the crows to teach the seagull's to stop dropping clams on my wife's windshield?

Probably... bummer though bro... seen that one happen a lot of times living at the beach!!

A buddy had crows for pets when he was a kid. Said he would steal a baby from a nest and raise it. Said he even taught them to talk.
They can do it. A crow would be my second choice for talking; but only because I had seen myna birds first as a kid. :)

Crows are fine targets and tough to hunt. You hang a dead crow in a tree. The rest the flock will come check it out and fly away. They
then will send scouts to scan the orchard before landing. That's where scarecrows sometimes work.
I kinda tried a few times in Colorado deserts, but with a sidearm, and having to sneak up on them, after getting off a bike; and of course they had already heard me from way off long ago... I'd park a quarter of a mile away or more and try to sneak my way in; seemed to me, that the sentries would sometimes just act like they didn't see me coming though; and make me go through all that effort, then laugh and all fly away just as I was almost there!! Smart birds.

Since I'm too fat to crawl; and if I had tried to do that back then; my arms and feet couldn't have reached the ground. I figured the best way for me would been to dress up in a ghillie suit and just roll on in like a tumbleweed.

Maybe then I would have had a slight chance; maybe. :D

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
When I lived on a sailboat in the PNW there were three large trees next to the parking lot. 2 to 3 hundred crows would congregate in those trees every day to hold a crow congress.
They chose my white ford van as a place to crap. every day I would find my van covered in crow crap. It ruins paint and is very corrosive to metal. I declared war!
The next day I bought a large plastic owl and fastened it to a "1 X 2" that i could insert in the rear door handle so the owl was posted on watch at the top of the van. It only kept them away for one day, then they learned that it would not chase them. The crapping went on. The next day I posted the owl then drove slowly into the parking lot and into my space.
Instead of getting out of the van, I climbed into the back and slowly opened the rear door about one inch. The van had no windows so it was dark inside, but I had clear vision out through the one inch opening. I loaded the Feinwerkbau pellet rifle and waited. The Feinwerkbau was an incredibly accurate pellet rifle with in excess of 800 fps velocity. From inside the van the soft pop of the muzzle was not heard outside due to the racket of the crows, one of whom flopped to the ground and died. The rest began a horrendus cacaffeny screaming about their dead comrade.
Another crow flopped to the ground near the first, dead. About 20 % of them left and the rest screamed even louder. I dropped a third and half of them left with the rest making an insane racket obviously enraged at the owl who they blamed for the death of their friends. When I dropped the fourth they all went away into a nearby forest. I picked up the dead and threw the bodies into some dense bushes and trees for the night scavangers like coons and such. The next day when I drove in and parked with the owl posted on watch, about half of them, maybe 150 crows immediatlely left and the rest began screaming at the owl who of course just sat on his perch unpreturbed which enraged them even more. I opened the door a crack and dropped two more crows. They all left for the forest. I never had to shoot any more so long as the owl was posted on watch. They did not know how the owl did it but they knew that the owl meant dead crows when it was there. For the next year that I lived in that marina I never again had birdshite on my van. Crows can be trained to not crap on your vehicle. A realistic looking rattlesnake tied to the handlebars of the TW kept them from perching on or crapping on it too. I would see them on a nearby roof of the harbormasters office about 10 feet away cussing out that snake but would not approach closer.
Crows are one of the smartest birds ever but they are like bullies and will try to get away with anything they can just because they want to. You have to teach them respect.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I lived on a sailboat in the PNW there were three large trees next to the parking lot. 2 to 3 hundred crows would congregate in those trees every day to hold a crow congress.
They chose my white ford van as a place to crap. every day I would find my van covered in crow crap. It ruins paint and is very corrosive to metal. I declared war!
The next day I bought a large plastic owl and fastened it to a "1 X 2" that i could insert in the rear door handle so the owl was posted on watch at the top of the van. It only kept them away for one day, then they learned that it would not chase them. The crapping went on. The next day I posted the owl then drove slowly into the parking lot and into my space.
Instead of getting out of the van, I climbed into the back and slowly opened the rear door about one inch. The van had no windows so it was dark inside, but I had clear vision out through the one inch opening. I loaded the Feinwerkbau pellet rifle and waited. The Feinwerkbau was an incredibly accurate pellet rifle with in excess of 800 fps velocity. From inside the van the soft pop of the muzzle was not heard outside due to the racket of the crows, one of whom flopped to the ground and died. The rest began a horrendus cacaffeny screaming about their dead comrade.
Another crow flopped to the ground near the first, dead. About 20 % of them left and the rest screamed even louder. I dropped a third and half of them left with the rest making an insane racket obviously enraged at the owl who they blamed for the death of their friends. When I dropped the fourth they all went away into a nearby forest. I picked up the dead and threw the bodies into some dense bushes and trees for the night scavangers like coons and such. The next day when I drove in and parked with the owl posted on watch, about half of them, maybe 150 crows immediatlely left and the rest began screaming at the owl who of course just sat on his perch unpreturbed which enraged them even more. I opened the door a crack and dropped two more crows. They all left for the forest. I never had to shoot any more so long as the owl was posted on watch. They did not know how the owl did it but they knew that the owl meant dead crows when it was there. For the next year that I lived in that marina I never again had birdshite on my van. Crows can be trained to not crap on your vehicle. A realistic looking rattlesnake tied to the handlebars of the TW kept them from perching on or crapping on it too. I would see them on a nearby roof of the harbormasters office about 10 feet away cussing out that snake but would not approach closer.
Crows are one of the smartest birds ever but they are like bullies and will try to get away with anything they can just because they want to. You have to teach them respect.

Now; That's my kinda story!!! I loved that braa!! ;)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I really doubt that crow flew in there like that and just figured that crap out. I call BS. Where's my red flag.

If that crow were really that smart, #1 he wouldn't be in that cage in the first place having to perform tricks to get fed, (he'd be out eating dead rotting deer carcasses off the side of the highway)

Even Alfred Einstein had a class or two in arithmetic first.

....#2 he wouldn't be wearing fancy shmansy ankle bracelets like he had on.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really doubt that crow flew in there like that and just figured that crap out. I call BS. Where's my red flag.

If that crow were really that smart, #1 he wouldn't be in that cage in the first place having to perform tricks to get fed, (he'd be out eating dead rotting deer carcasses off the side of the highway)

....#2 he wouldn't be wearing fancy shmansy ankle bracelets like he had on.
I think he had worked himself through the problem already, then they just video'd it. They really are smart though.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I had problems with them a few years ago getting into my garbage on pick up day but for the longest time I thought it was cats.One day I was home sick and put out the garbage and before I made it back to the garage there was a crow tearing up one of the bags.I went and got my Diana .177 and shot the bugger and put him in the bag and again before I got back to the garage there was another one on it so I popped him too.Four dead crows later and they figured it out and went crazy for about fifteen minutes but I have never had a problem since.My neighbours have though.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Me and my dad hunt crows and it can be really exciting. Dumpster ducks on the other hand are for some reason protected. Go figure. Damned Canadian's!!! :D

Tom

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone
1 - 18 of 18 Posts