TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Tucson there's a very popular DS route that goes up and over Redington pass then loops back around North over the summit (or near thereto) of Mt. Lemmon at around 9,000', which is all well and good in the summertime, but the backside service rd is often closed due to weather conditions up top in the wintertime.

I've had this idea that there must be a passable route to the South of the Rincons other than the I-10 or more Southerly state highways, perhaps even a dirt route. Yesterday I began my quest to find this route, with my GoPro running on 5 second time-lapse.

This thing on?

Hmm, maybe follow the phonelines?

Not too many "Stay on Road" signs needed through here!

Nice little area to ride, but no routes East. Time to double back and try again farther down the frontage road.

Maybe try the Red Hill Ranch RR X-ing?

Bingo!

This dirt road follows the RR right of way...

…but not always the grade! Looks like something with bigger tires than a TW has been rolling back here.

I followed this road for a few miles or so, but at the rate I was going I had gotten started too late and made too many wrong turns finding my route to see how far this road would take me. Google Earth makes it seem clear, but I've gotten different answers from other local riders. If there is a dead end to that road I mean to find it myself one of these days!

While riding home, I thought I'd take a minute to document a little bit of the engineering that made it possible for softies like me to head West!

Cienega Bridge...

…and it's adjacent Railroad counterpart.

Then it was time to point the fender towards home.

With about 100 more miles and a little more firsthand knowledge under my belt at the end of the day, I feel pretty confident that my next foray to find this route will be more successful. I honestly wasn't prepared to complete the loop this new leg would create when I set out, so I turned back rather than tempt fate. With a few less hours of poking around and some determination though, I think it shows promise.

·
Registered
503 Posts
all I can say is, Come on summer!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I really miss that country. And to think I spent my 15 months out there on a R6 carving canyons. Don't get me wrong, my 01 Wrangler and I had a blast, but if I had my TW back then... Oh what could have been. Thanks for the pics. My favorite memory of Tucson was hiking all the up and back down Rincon in a day. Painful but a blast.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey I've ridden the trails on Reddington. Camped over near San Manuel for about a month. There's some good stuff over there too. A friend of mine just got back from a 3 day DS ride on his DR650 from somewhere near Florence down through there and where ever. He said it was 90% dirt and 10% where he wished he had his 450. He lives in Phoenix. I'll see if I can get more infor from him. Part of it might be stuff you'd be interested in.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey I've ridden the trails on Reddington. Camped over near San Manuel for about a month. There's some good stuff over there too. A friend of mine just got back from a 3 day DS ride on his DR650 from somewhere near Florence down through there and where ever. He said it was 90% dirt and 10% where he wished he had his 450. He lives in Phoenix. I'll see if I can get more infor from him. Part of it might be stuff you'd be interested in.
I've ridden a little (very little) over towards San Manuel. I know there's a ton of open country out in that direction, I just need to get my act together and make a few expeditions a little farther afield. I'd love to hear some recommendations, although I'm no trail breaker like you are!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Did a one day dual sport on Jan 1 with the guy that sent me the tracks for the dualsport around Tucson. He was gonna ride his 450 W/XC FI katoom so I whipped out the KLX so I'd at least have a chance. I believe the entire trip could be made with a TW with stock gearing. Mostly with stock tires but a couple spots might be iffy for stock tires. I only rode mine one or two miles with the stockers so my impressions are a little fuzzy. I'd like to do it on the TW. Any takers?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You had me up until 8:00 or so! That's some hairy business getting down into and back up out of the Santa Maria river valley, huh?

Well done.

·
Registered
602 Posts
You had me up until 8:00 or so! That's some hairy business getting down into and back up out of the Santa Maria river valley, huh?

Well done.
That section going up might challenge the stock rear tire. ATV tire would be no problem even with stock gearing. I never tried the stock tire with severely reduced air pressure. It just might make it up with that. One way to find out..........

Down would be no problem as long as a guy took it easy.

Abort would be an option. Then take the easier way with a little extra McAdam.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts