TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: I am not a professional motorcycle rider, mechanic, or painter (or cleaner). And it shows!

Now if I would have washed the TW, the pictures would look better, so bear with the dirtyness. After all, it's gonna get dirty anyway!

Couple of months ago I decided to repaint the TW, thus in my wisdom, I needed to take it appart. Not the smartest thing I've done, nor worst, but once I got so far I had to finish. So, here is my handy work. Please try to smile at my mistakes, and know that I know, I made aplenty. But I got some good experience out of the deal!

Here's my TW before I started. Some would say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I agree! Shoulda paid my son to do it! ha ha.

Here's what it looked like nearing total teardown.

Here's what I want it to look like when I'm done. (Thanks to truelight for providing this color scheme mockup).

Paint done and starting to put it all back together.

Real close to being done here. Ran out of time and have to go to work. Will finish it tomorrow so I can ride it this weekend with the wife on our camp trip.

I did start it and it ran just like it did when I took it appart...and that's a good thing.

What went wrong and things I learned.

1) Problem: Clutch Lever. Somehow during the process, I jamed the clutch adjusting nut and locknut. Of course I didn't find this out until today. Went to the Yamie shop. Didn't have one in stock cost would be $28 for all the parts needed.

Solution: They sold me a YZ80 Clutch mount for $10. Lever fits (I took it with me). Only problem is, I will not be able to use the clutch safety switch as the YZ mount doesn't have a hole for the safety switch wiring. Consider it bypassed. After all I started it with the wiring hanging anyway!

2) Problem: Painting. Painting the frame no problem with spray gun. Painting the plastic...best way to describe-I suck and the plastic paint sucked. Originally, I painted the plastic parts with rattle can plastic paint. Didn't like the look (to dark) or the durability. Scratched real easy. I ended up removing all the paint from the plastic and decided to use vinyl wrap or just leave it original black.

Solution (sort of): When I was painting the frame I had left over paint so I re-re-painted the plastics and sprayed a hard clear coat on top of the paint. Looks ok and much more durable...for a while. I have the vinyl wrap as a back up when the paint job goes bad.

3)Problem: Lost top motor mount bolt. Way to may other projects putting work on the TW on the back burner. Thus increasing the possibility of lost parts and remembering where things go.

Solution: Won't take the TW apart again unless I have too. (remembering "if it ain't broke..."). Bought new motormount bolt. Could have gotten away with it missing for a while, but didn't feel comfortable with it missing. Plus I suffer from CRS (Can't Remember Shit) so I needed to replace the bolt before I forgot.

Since I wasn't able to ride and Georgie couldn't ride and is not capable of helping (no opposable thumbs you know), here is the manadatory Georgie photo op.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Might you be needing a battery for that bike?

Whatja doing this long weekend? If the weather will give us a break, maybe we could do a short ride. If not, a burger and a beer might be fun too. Drop me a line and if nothing else, I can get yer battery back to you.

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why yes, a battery would be good, ha ha. Gonna give you a call this morning to see if we can meet so can get the battery. As for this weekend, leaving tonight with the wife and gonna travel and camp several different area's from Weiser, Midvale, to Council area's. No plan, just sight seeing and not staying in the same place. A little geocaching on the side. Call ya later.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Why yes, a battery would be good, ha ha. Gonna give you a call this morning to see if we can meet so can get the battery. As for this weekend, leaving tonight with the wife and gonna travel and camp several different area's from Weiser, Midvale, to Council area's. No plan, just sight seeing and not staying in the same place. A little geocaching on the side. Call ya later.

Given the weather, you might wanna take your snorkel and fins too...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts