TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I daily drive my tw at least 70 miles a day, recently it developed a REALLY bad noise whenever I give it any gas in 1st-4th gear. If I keep the rpms really low then it does fine and in 5th it works perfect. At first I thought it was my chain hitting something, but it obviously wasn't. A friend of mine said it sounds like its trying to come out of gear, maybe a broken tooth on the transmission? I read that these transmissions can take a beating, and mine only has 8000 miles. What else could it be? I also have a parts ttr225, so if its something major I could just make it a six-speed. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I will assume you do check the oil level regularly and change it from time to time? As a rule noise is never a good sign for anything mechanical even if the item seems to be working fine, noise is sometimes the first sign of bad things about to happen. A good start might be have a mechanic have a look at it. If taking it to a mechanic is not possible drain the oil and look for shiny particles, almost like mini sparkles....if you see those sparkles the damage is probably already done and it will fail sooner than later. Best of luck getting her back to normal asap.

·
Registered
20,508 Posts
Crunching is not good nor self healing.
Sorry, but I would not attempt to commute to work on it any more.:(
You risk a total failure roadside somewhere far from home or a sympathetic boss.

EDIT: Getting the transmission fixed now before it grenades might be cheaper in the long run. Alternate transportation, while a hassle, is inevitable either way.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'd drain the oil, look for metal and when it is seen, split the cases.
First, consider SHAG's suggest and check the counter sprocket

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank all of you guys for the replies! I wish I could not ride it to work, but I kind of have to. I will drain the oil tomorrow to look for metal shavings. My front sprocket does seem to be a little worn down! That would be awesome if that's all it was! I'm ordering a new one right now. If it is my front sprocket which honestly it looks like it is, would it be okay to ride it?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Thank all of you guys for the replies! I wish I could not ride it to work, but I kind of have to. I will drain the oil tomorrow to look for metal shavings. My front sprocket does seem to be a little worn down! That would be awesome if that's all it was! I'm ordering a new one right now. If it is my front sprocket which honestly it looks like it is, would it be okay to ride it?
Do you have photos? Are the teeth pulled from chain stretch? The maximum length of 15 links is 191.5 mm or 7.54 inches. If more, the stretched chain will pull the teeth on the sprockets. What is the history on the chain? How frequently lubed? How frequently adjusted.

If not the front sprocket, possibly two of the shift forks are not laterally positioned correctly to the shift drum.

If it is the trans, if the gears are not too badly damaged, it may be tempting to adjust and reuse, but as much work as it is, I would be prone to replacing the shift forks and shift fork guidebar.

The fork thickness is just under 5 mm (specs in manual) and the guidebar must be true (roll on flat surface to check_

If the trans, more likely the shift forks are worn and/or the shift fork guidebar is out of round. The drum also needs to be checked.

HOWEVER, before getting into the trans, you can access the shift shaft/stopper by removing the side case. Whether you go deeper may depend upon what you find in the oil.

I very much hope that it is the front/counter/drive sprocket...but if it is, it is highly likely that the chain needs to be replaced and probably the rear sprocket. Otherwise, the replacement front sprocket will not last long.

If the trans, likely it will go until the gears do not engage.

If the sprocket, once the teeth are worn low enough, the chain may come off and could lock the rear wheel. Best if you have some alternative to riding it, until repaired.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought new chain and front sprocket, already have new rear sprockets. Thanks again for all the help, I probably would have taken the whole engine apart to look at the transmission. Hopefully I wont have to.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts