TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Here in Florida, country like that is so foreign. Looks like a fantastic place for exploring.

Such a large area to explore. I'll be going back, so much more! Speaking of foreign, the name Owyhee (Idaho's Owyhee County, Mtn Range, River etc) is from some Hawaiian fur trappers in the early 1800's. Apparently "Owyhee" was the early English spelling for Hawaii. Click here for a brief meaning

·
Super Moderator
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Awesome report and great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

AT

I do miss riding through hardwood forests once in a while though! Something about green and summer going together!

·
Super Moderator
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
awesome trip! and for the first time i recall we see the admiral! georgie's always there, your lovely wife second.... but never the chief himself!

...well, not all the photo's of me show my good side...or do they!

Reactions: Fred

·
Super Moderator
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
What kind of heater you packin' ??????????? My wife packs a 8 shot 17mm.... OMM.

.357. Like an American Express Credit Card - I don't leave home without it!

Tho I'm thinking of adding a can of Bear Spray to the arsenal.

·
Super Moderator
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmiepBT3X74[/media]

·
Registered
3,737 Posts

Great video and sound track, Saddle Tramp!
No one could hardly express better what Southwest Idaho is like...(well, maybe Bruce Reicherdt.
)

Desolate but beautiful in its own peculiar way.....not much different from what it was like in 1850.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
.357. Like an American Express Credit Card - I don't leave home without it!

A friend of mine from Idaho that now lives in Calif. is talking about moving back and one of the really big reasons is a ton of new gun laws coming down the pike. It wouldn't surprise me if they demand revolvers be registered as "assault" weapons.

I watched your video twice -- the first time small and second time full screen with the headset on. It has got me a psyched up for the coming Sheetiron 150.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Excellent video, Admiral! I was a little surprised, however, that your wife didn't make a bigger splash going through the water crossing.
Interesting rock formations at about 8:20. I'm a Marty Robbins fan, but can't say I have heard that song before. It fits the video very well, and I enjoyed the instrumentals, too. Thanks for taking the time to put the video together and share it with us. It was very enjoyable.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Excellent documentation, Admiral!

I need to just get a camera and quit trying to use my dumb smartphone, cause I only snap 2 or 3. and they are not usually very good at that. Anyway Thanks for Sharing! : )B

·
Super Moderator
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks. It sure was a fun time. There's a ton more area out there I'd like to ride one day, maybe next year. Lots of old homestead's, which are something that interests me. At least for a destination anyway.

I know what you mean about the phone camera's. And if you buy a new camera or have a camera, don't do what I do...forget it at home. Sometimes I have to use the phone camera. Oops! Some smarties take really good pictures though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Love the pictures and the history. Looks like a fun time in the great wide open. I hope to explore some of those wide open spaces, one of these days.

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
31 Posts
Day 1 continued:

Continuing west after lunch towards Bull Basin, we dip down into Red Canyon. Really pretty this time of year

Of course we've been geocaching along the way. Here is one after we left Red Canyon. Georgie trying to keep cool in the shade of the tree

Peter Creek. Not as deep of a descent as Red Canyon, but still pretty

From here we made it to Bull Basin Camp where we couldn't decide if we were allowed to go through the private property. So, at the time we decided

to keep heading west and eventually ended up at the C Ranch (no photo's).

At this point weren't not lost lost, but we do end up on a dead end spur and had to double back before taking a different trail back towards the east.

So after a few hours of riding in the middle of some Juniper tree's, we come to another marked intersection. Well, wife said it was only 5:30 so we

headed to the Middle Fork of the Owyhee River

As the wife approaches the river, Georgie guides her into were I parked

Jessie Dog takes a little break in the water to cool off.

So does Georgie and my wife

Here is the Middle Fork of the Owyhee River. I bet it's close to bone dry during the heat of the summer. Not to deep at the

end of May

Neat rock formations in these canyon's

I realize this ride report is years old but it brought back some memories. I rode my KLX300 down to Crutcher's Crossing in about 2003. The long story is this. In 2002 I bought a KLR650 and was intent on Dual Sport riding. However one of my first trips was up to the Selway Bitteroot and Gospel Hump wilderness areas. While there I rode down to Mackay Bar on the Salmon River. While there I watched a group of rafters come through and that brought back childhood memories of river trips on the Green and Yampa Rivers. So I bought a cataraft and started river rafting. That decision led to me selling the KLR and buying a KLX300 because I felt more comfortable riding the smaller bike down into places like Crutcher's Crossing to scout them for potential river trips.

When I was at Crutcher's Crossing those buildings were still standing and in one of them I found a newspaper from 1963 with an article about JFK. Very cool stuff to find in such a place. I left them there because I figured other visitors would be equally happy to run across them. Too bad the fire destroyed it all. Maybe someone took them home for a treasure though. I hope so.

These days I kind of feel like I've had my fill of river rafting and am finally going to focus more on dual sport riding, or at least my version of it....which is as little time spent on pavement as possible. Dirt roads rule and are much more interesting. I have a road bike for pavement. My TW will be fabulous for everything else.

Something to consider....if you ride in areas where people float rivers then it is very likely there are people/companies that run shuttle services for the vehicles of river rafters. Those shuttle companies are happy to shuttle your vehicles to any locations along their usual routes. For me this means that any riding I do in the Salmon River area, or Selway River area gives me the option of beginning a ride at one location and meeting up with my rig at another location where the shuttle company drops it off for me. Just ask any rafting company in your area and they can help you track down any such services if they exist.

·
Registered
31 Posts
(I am reposting this reply to test something out. Sure I can do my own TW upgrades, but figuring out these online forums still evades me :))

I realize this ride report is years old but it brought back some memories. I rode my KLX300 down to Crutcher's Crossing in about 2003. The long story is this. In 2002 I bought a KLR650 and was intent on Dual Sport riding. However one of my first trips was up to the Selway Bitteroot and Gospel Hump wilderness areas. While there I rode down to Mackay Bar on the Salmon River. While there I watched a group of rafters come through and that brought back childhood memories of river trips on the Green and Yampa Rivers. So I bought a cataraft and started river rafting. That decision led to me selling the KLR and buying a KLX300 because I felt more comfortable riding the smaller bike down into places like Crutcher's Crossing to scout them for potential river trips.

When I was at Crutcher's Crossing those buildings were still standing and in one of them I found a newspaper from 1963 with an article about JFK. Very cool stuff to find in such a place. I left them there because I figured other visitors would be equally happy to run across them. Too bad the fire destroyed it all. Maybe someone took them home for a treasure though. I hope so.

These days I kind of feel like I've had my fill of river rafting and am finally going to focus more on dual sport riding, or at least my version of it....which is as little time spent on pavement as possible. Dirt roads rule and are much more interesting. I have a road bike for pavement. My TW will be fabulous for everything else.

Something to consider....if you ride in areas where people float rivers then it is very likely there are people/companies that run shuttle services for the vehicles of river rafters. Those shuttle companies are happy to shuttle your vehicles to any locations along their usual routes. For me this means that any riding I do in the Salmon River area, or Selway River area gives me the option of beginning a ride at one location and meeting up with my rig at another location where the shuttle company drops it off for me. Just ask any rafting company in your area and they can help you track down any such services if they exist.

·
Super Moderator
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
(I am reposting this reply to test something out. Sure I can do my own TW upgrades, but figuring out these online forums still evades me :))

Very cool that the buildings were still at Crutcher's Crossing when you visited. The only thing we got to see was the metal grain bin and rock foundation. I'm afraid the 1963 newspaper was long gone. I remember the fire but not the exact year it swept through the area. Many of Juniper forests were destroyed as well. The skeletal remains of the Junipers were very eerie. I'll have to remember the rafting company shuttle services if I ever do a ride like that.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts