TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BIKES

OK, so I called these guys last night and spoke with one of the owners. I nearly pulled out my CC and gave him an order for one.

For around $4,400.00 tax, title and license I could be on a new 250cc "adventure" bike and have some fun blasting around with a windshield and luggage to boot.

Not bad for a complete package.

I watched the video.

Anyone willing to beat on a bike for 5000 miles in the desert and across the mountains and West has my attention.

·
Registered
762 Posts
BIKES

OK, so I called these guys last night and spoke with one of the owners. I nearly pulled out my CC and gave him an order for one.

For around $4,400.00 tax, title and license I could be on a new 250cc "adventure" bike and have some fun blasting around with a windshield and luggage to boot.

I watched the video.

Anyone willing to beat on a bike for 5000 miles in the desert and across the mountains and West has my attention.
CSC, like Tank or BMX...is just an American marketer for Chinese-made models.

Now I'm not blindly down on Chinese machines. Point of fact, I HAD one - a Xingyue 300-cc Burgman-clone scooter. Frame and plastic were copied off the Burgman 400. Engine was a Yamaha design. Fuel injection. Thing should be bulletproof, what?

Not hardly. The DESIGN of the engine may have been Yamaha - but the parts themselves were made by Xingyue. And not very well, either. With 2000 miles on it (I rode it to work, 30 miles each way...it saved me gas until it went) the cam chain slipped a tooth on the sprocket.

Warranty work. Took it to the dealer, who had a Xingyue franchise...and there the grief began.

TEN MONTHS of game-playing between the dealer and Xingyue. They kept on sending the wrong parts. They kept on forgetting how to speak English on the phone. They kept on not answering mail. FINALLY it was fixed...I think the dealer just bought the parts to get rid of it and me. I know he got rid of the Xingyue dealer-agreement.

And then, 200 miles later, the cam slipped AGAIN. This time it was a week after I hit a deer and had busted the plastic cladding. It was out of warranty and I didn't have the tools or time to screw around with it. It went in the back of my carport and when I moved to take a new job I gave the hulk away.

I WILL...NOT...EVER again buy a Chinese motor product for anything more than scrap price.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Please don't lump all Chinese motorcycles together.
Some are excellent, some are worthless.
CSC has excellent information on their site about the manufacturer and their relationship (check their blog).

I think they are neat bikes but I never buy a new bike when I know how much used bike I can get for the same money.
Look up actual owners of the bike reviews and then decide.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Please don't lump all Chinese motorcycles together.
Some are excellent, some are worthless.
CSC has excellent information on their site about the manufacturer and their relationship (check their blog).

I think they are neat bikes but I never buy a new bike when I know how much used bike I can get for the same money.
Agreed.

The Chinese plants owned/run by Japanese or Taiwanese manufacturers, for the most part, do fine.

Those run by Chines "companies" - basically fronts for the Chinese government or owned by connected persons given franchises by the government - their stuff is slop.

Xingue is far from the worst. Their Burgman-clone 260 scooter, marketed by Tank in the states, was ubiquitous for awhile. It's telling, though, that when Tank closed down those scooters disappeared almost as fast.

Znen, with their Big-Ruckus clone, the same. They were everywhere, and now they are gone.

As for CSC: They are a marketer. What company is actually making those motorcycles? And if it closed or CSC shifted suppliers, would you know? What if the home company didn't honor the warranty on an issue, as I had the bad luck to have?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Though true show me another 250cc bike set up like that. I like them because unlike quite a few on here I live a good distance from riding areas. Though to be fair I havent yet taken the TW on any longish trips. Once I do maybe my mind will change.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Just for the halibut, I watched one of their videos - with the features.

I see where that's tempting. The price, with those features...and that really does look like a three-quarters scale GS.

But the proof of the pudding is the tasting. I don't want to poor-mouth, say, Suzuki - I've had some Suzukis in the past and they're good bikes, mostly. But not all of them hold together as well as Honda or Yamaha.

I'm just thinking of my poor dumb self with that big Chinese scooter...beautiful and new...70 miles a gallon and topped out at 80...suddenly dead from a busted cam chain. And no parts and people getting sick of my problems and my warranty papers.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
BIKES

I watched the video.

Was this the out the door price?

·
Registered
636 Posts
As they said on the video they ship the bike to your door. I would guess the price is going to vary based on distance from Cali.
Tax and license to be paid in your state. So that will vary as well.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Sure is easy to double the price with their Special Edition models as they value their add-ons accesories at an astounding mark-up that might make even Ferrari blush.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Sure is easy to double the price with their Special Edition models as they value their add-ons accesories at an astounding mark-up that might make even Ferrari blush.
I think the first model is a loss leader.

Against my better judgment...I watched one vid; did some research and read some reviews. Seems when they got the first shipment they cut prices to an introductory $2800 and some change. Now you'd be hard-pressed to find a 10 year-old TW at that price, if it's clean.

It's a slick pachage; and I do love the styling. The engine seems to be tuned to pump out power, for its size. But then...water-cooled...which has advantages but adds complexity. Fuel injection - who makes THAT? You may have to ask that, later. And it's heavy, at 385 pounds. The engine is dyno-tested at 24 horsepower; and reviewers say it's adequate; but would that be enough, day-in, day-out?

The digital speedo is WAY off - 10 mph fast at an 80-mph reading. So the true top speed would be about 72 - better than the TW, but not remarkably so.

I did a check on used ones, and there aren't any on CL/SearchTempest or Cycle Trader.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
No established dealer network is the turn off for me on all of these off shoot designer type bikes. Clearly and as almost all TW owners are aware, the availability of parts is probably one of the most important reasons for owning a TW. We are nearing 30 years of production and many parts from a 1987 TW still fit a 2016 model. I want a motorcycle that I can fix myself and not jump through hoops locating needed parts. Finding a CSC parts bike 5 years from now might be a real problem and chances are pretty good you won't find a dealer who can even get a part you very much need.

GaryL

·
Registered
762 Posts
No established dealer network is the turn off for me on all of these off shoot designer type bikes. Clearly and as almost all TW owners are aware, the availability of parts is probably one of the most important reasons for owning a TW. We are nearing 30 years of production and many parts from a 1987 TW still fit a 2016 model. I want a motorcycle that I can fix myself and not jump through hoops locating needed parts. Finding a CSC parts bike 5 years from now might be a real problem and chances are pretty good you won't find a dealer who can even get a part you very much need.

GaryL
Those are good points; and I'll add to those:

"CSC Motorcycles" used to be, California SCOOTER Company. Where are their scooters? Their other models? Apparently they previously had a chopper model they called the Mustang - looks like what you see cut-up on CL, all the time. Might have been a hard-tail.

It's gone, too. The company's going all-in with this RX-3. Which may speak of confidence in the product - or of desperation. What of the scooter buyers of the past? Is it tough-toenails when they need parts? A company which abandons its previous customer base to go all-in with one product, one they JUST started marketing...is probably not so much confident as desperate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello, guys. Joe Berk here. I write the blog for CSC. One of the CSC folks alerted me to this thread and I thought I would say hello and answer any questions. A few quick facts:

As has been correctly observed, Zongshen manufactures the RX3. It is sold all over the world; the North American version is a bit different and it is built to our specs. We are the exclusive importers for the US and Canada.

I've visited the Zongshen manufacturing campus numerous times. Zongshen builds complete motorcycles for Piaggio, they make parts for Harley and several other brands, and their management systems are as good as it gets anywhere in the world. Quality is my business; I teach it to companies all over the world, and I've been widely published in the field (Amazon me and you'll see).

We stock all of the parts for this motorcycle. Don't take my word for that; go on ChinaRiders.net, ADVRider, or any of the other forums in which this bike is being discussed by people who have actually purchased one, and see what they say.

I led the recent 5000-mile ride around the western US on these bikes, and before that, the 1700-mile ride through Baja. The bikes did well. You can buy this book to learn more...

5000 Miles At 8000 RPM: Joe Berk: 9781517355357: Amazon.com: Books

Front-Cover-For-BW-650-2502.jpg

You can also watch the video Joe Gresh put together on the 5000-mile ride...

Joe Gresh is a columnist for Motorcyclist magazine. They, along with ADVPulse, ADVMoto, and Motorcycle.com all tested the RX3 and gave it high marks. Motorcycle.com actually scored it higher than the Yamaha Super Tenere.

As was correctly observed above, we sell direct. There are no dealers. Never will be. If you need a dealer, this is not your bike. We explain why in the book.

We've been around for about 30 years (the parent company is Pro-One Performance Manufacturing).

If you have questions, please email me at [email protected]. I'll check back here, too, occasionally.

1 - 20 of 355 Posts