TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Curiosity regarding 250cc / 6 speed conversions

15K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  Derrick Adams 
#1 ·
I was reading a thread (below) started in 2014 that listed a number of parts required for the 250 conversion and had a few questions for those of you who have done it.
1, Is the YA-5679 cylinder sleeve the same OD as the various 225 compatible heads he has listed, or will the head its self need to be opened to the correct tolerance?
2, Does said sleeve need to be trimmed for height?
3, Will Yamaha piston 3C5-11631-00-A0 fit perfectly, or does the sleeve need to be opened up some? Also, could the sleeve be bored for a sized up piston down the road?
getting ready to start ordering parts, and am hoping to avoid costly mistakes. Thank you for any input.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/perform...l-need-upgrade-your-tw-214-225-up-250-cc.html

#2 ·
Pretty good subject for Bench racing, but one that has rarely been attempted, and even much rarer, actually accomplished. Just buy a bigger bike and turn that into a larger TW style bike.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cornelis
#3 ·
Pretty good subject for Bench racing, but one that has rarely been attempted, and even much rarer, actually accomplished. Just buy a bigger bike and turn that into a larger TW style bike.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

There are a few people running (successfully) various larger displacement bikes, with 6 speeds on the forum. I enjoy tinkering on the tw (and I already own it), so the idea of just getting a bigger bike doesn't really appeal to me. still interested in the information from people who have done similar mods. thanks

#4 ·
Since there are a few guys that have made 6 speed and 250cc TWs and several new guys looking to do that it would be cool if there was a dedicated sticky thread for this topic, maybe a list of people who have done it and a consolidation of different threads. It would be an awesome resource.

#6 ·
I've read about all I think there is on all the conversions, I just find it difficult to decide exactly what used parts are compatible. I like Tweakers idea to put all the info into 1 thread. If this conversion works out maybe ill have learned enough to do a write up. without one person building every combination I imagine it would be nearly impossible to have all the knowledge. maybe we could start a thread where people who were over bore could post exactly what is in their engine so we can see what is proven and what works.

#7 ·
One person has - Macbig21k - any definitive parts thread has included comments and input from him - but that primarily covers 200 to 225 conversions

I understated that he races a TW250, but there's considerably less detailed info on that one

If someone want's to start a build thread with details, pictures and part sources for the 225 we can sticky it - same for anyone doing the 250

Makes more sense to document a single build with input from others rather than try to combine build threads .....

#9 ·
just read all 34 pages. Lots of information. So far im looking at an 04 ttr225 bottom end, 87 moto4 225 head bored out to take a 74mm sleeve, modified tw output shaft, tw left engine cover, matching year and make head to the bottom end, left side output shaft bearing, and a gasket set. might add the kick starter depending on cost. would like to build the engine and swap it in just in case it fails...

#10 ·
Im gonna take a whack at answering your questions bases on current and growing knowledge. Also you mention you're looking at a moto4 225 head and mention head in your first list and because of wording I think you mean cylinder. Also to state my marginal credibility I do have a current 225 6 speed with 15k or so on it now and a 250 on the bench in the works. I have a thread currently going as I make progress. So........ the la sleeve 5679 will not drop into any cylinder you choose. It has a larger OD than the 225 cylinder sleeves by a fair bit. The height is almost spot on so Im not thinking it will need to be trimmed. The one issue I see is that the lip at the top is also a fair bit larger and will be over the holes that the dowel pins go into. When I spoke with LA sleeve last week they said they prefer to let that happen and rebore the dowel holes. The piston will never be the perfect fit when you're doing this. Sleeves come undersized a bit and don't have an internal surface finish until they are done. This is because pistons vary slightly and once installed into a cylinder things can distort slightly. So the process goes remove old sleeve, machine bare aluminum cylinder to fit new sleeve, install new sleeve, FINISH BORE AND HONE SLEEVE TO PISTON SPECS. I don't see at this time a larger oversize piston for future bores and personally don't care to much about that. Now also understand that you're going to have to machine the case mouth as the new sleeve is also larger than any 225 sleeve. Ive had this done before multiple times and its no big deal. you already know about the output shaft, left cover ect. Fair warning my current ttr225 cases 01 model I believe didnt come bored for a kicker. I had it done and its possible but your 04 cases may not either. By this I mean the right cover AND the actual right side case. I am waiting for a piston and crank pin and things are all headed off for final work. I am having LA sleeve machine and install the ya5679, ken occonor is rebuilding my crank shaft, case machining done local by a friend for beer, some one in California (twbrians recommendation) machined the output shaft, and I will do all the wrenching. LA sleeve quoted me 250 for the sleeve itself and all of the machine work to install it and ill tell you that's more than fair. Do yourself a favor and send it to the place that makes the sleeves and does it all day every day. Now a closing statement then Ill include some pics past and present....... Your TW will never be fast and this isn't cheap. If you want significantly more power buy something else that has more power and better chassis/brakes/suspension. I spent over 1000 bucks last time on the 225 and that's what i'm doing again on the 250. If you're brave and like to play press forward as it is a fun process, but be prepared to shell out and don't cut corners. Unless you know the condition I would (and did) replace all bottom end bearings, valves, valve springs, all seals and gaskets, cam chain guides, cam chain, and have the crank rebuilt (crank pin, con rod, big end bearing). I will be keeping a good thread on the 250 as I go since theres not as much info on it. Good luck

ttr225 cylinder with sleeve removed
Untitled by dolphaxel, on Flickr
heres where the kicker goes and you can see its not machined
after I did the machining

#15 ·
This is going to be a slow over the winter project for me, just to see if I can do it. I am going to attempt to do all the machining myself to save money. Even if it seems like cutting corners, its the learning (curve) I'm after. I've never really done much engine work, so this should be a neat project. Its nice to start with a general knowledge of compatible parts, so I can pick up used deals along the way. Thank you all for contributing, I recognize some of you from the many threads I've been reading. And yes, I did mean cylinder...

#11 ·
I have built 2 six speed/229cc conversions using a 71mm bore, if I recall correctly....All off the shelf jugs and pistons. IE cheap! These have been proven to be very reliable for the last 2 years or so. With the type of riding we do here, lots of first and second gear slow sustained uphill climbs with alot of high throttle settings, I am already running into overheating issues at 229cc....And we generally have mild cool conditions here. We seldom ride much if it is over about 80 degrees here... Makes me wonder if engine has the ability to shed enough heat at 250 cc? I kinda feel we are right at the limit at 229cc for our conditions here. My gut instinct is that 250cc may be a long climb for a short slide.... on the other side of the equation, I think weight reduction makes an even bigger gain for the TW. Mine is down about 35lbs or so and this makes a huge difference off road.

My point is not to discourage you on this, but rather to consider the well beaten path at about 225cc....IMO a real nice sweet spot for these motors! And cheap too!

#12 ·
im curious to hear about the heat issue. mine is 225 or 70mm bore with the 10.25:1 cr. Ive ridden multiple trips of over 300 miles in a day in temps above 90. lots of WOT on the highway and gravel roads. I use an oil cooler and a trail tech voyager to keep a watch on temp. cylinder head temps usually 300-350 and never ever breaches 400 which I understand to be dangerous. I might add that I ride all year around unless there is snow or ice. Temps range from 20 to 100 and elevation of 800 to 7000 or so. anything above 5000 it starts to blubber in the mid range. I suspect that I have a richer jetting set up that you. It might help that Im 125# as well.

#13 ·
I am using the Wiseco 10.25/1 piston as well. Also premium fuel. Our climbs often start at sea level and climb to 1500 to 2000 feet or so, all single track with a few technical sections that require full throttle in second gear to make it....Seldom any higher than 2nd gear and a quite a bit of first gear work as well. All pretty slow and somewhat technical. The bikes get hot! I will get some pinging when it is hot, especially if I lug down to low in the RPM band and have the throttle open some to try and regain momentum....this is what I am basing the overheating on. We also ride on the beach where it is much cooler and breezy with deep sand. We do alot of hopping over logs and such and lug the engines just as hard in first and second gear as we do in the hills....The bikes are much cooler and do not ping at all and some of the sandy stuff is wide open throttle in 2nd gear with lots of lugging...

#14 ·
that makes sense. Ive had it approach the 400 mark a few times on WOT steep hills in first. I have yet to find a hill long enough at low speed to be an issue. Ive had a couple times where it would ping when lugging when It was hot but it subsided quickly. Ive never had to shut it down from heat. I always run premium fuel as well. Im hoping dropping the CR to 9.5:1 will help curb the heat a little and keep it from pinging. I am building the 250 as a complete and if it proves to be less reliable the 225 will go back in. I realize im pushing the limit further, but after a few conversations with frank and his kit thats 11.5:1 that he gets almost 30hp out of I think im well in the safe limit. he swears he runs just premium pump gas. I remember talking with you in moab a couple years ago and comparing notes. seems like out engines were close twins.....

Reactions: lbxr and joeband
#16 · (Edited)
just my short $.02:

my motor tw226 6spd is a rebuilt 2003 ttr225. when i bought the motor off of craigslist (the guy pulled it out of a dumpster, he told me after i bought it!) already had one oversized bore and piston installed. it uses the tw left side cover and tw output shaft, the xtra work to get to 250 i can't speak to, but these three observations still hold.

1. the machining gentleman TW-brian i and used to cut the other groove for the 6th gear in the tw output shaft was in washington, though last i heard he wasn't doing more. was around $100.
if i had to say which aspect was better result of this swap, the extra power or the extra gear... it would be close, but i think 6th spd wins.

2. i too used the ttr225 right side cover and had the kicker hole bored out. works great, never leaked, totally worth it.

3. it wasn't cheap, but i've never regretted it.

good luck with you build.

#17 ·
for my personal curiosity did you have to machine the right case half as well? I know you bored the side cover and I assume the bore where you press the seal into, but on my 2001 cases Yamaha didn't even finish up the case to accept the kicker shaft as seen in my photos. Reason I ask is I haven't heard of anyone else having to do this and I was trying to figure out a pattern as to what years were left unmachined.

#25 · (Edited)
Question of the day, as I continue to amass parts... Will a cylinder head from a yfb250 work for a 250 conversion? yamaha part number 4BD-11101-03-00. My research says yes, but I figured better to double check than be sorry at assembly time. Thank you. Bottom end will be an 03 TTR 225, with a moto4 225 cylinder.

#28 ·
For real hot runs I put a little muffin fan on the cooler. For the winter I put a piece of canvas over the cooler that has elastic sewn in.

#31 ·
Curious, doing the straight 225 6 speed conversion will give you what? The new gear range adds what at the top and bottom end of the rpm range? How much HP? 2-3? What is the new comfortable cruising speed? Which sprocket choices are preferred with the 6 speed?

#32 ·
Curious, doing the straight 225 6 speed conversion will give you what? The new gear range adds what at the top and bottom end of the rpm range? How much HP? 2-3? What is the new comfortable cruising speed? Which sprocket choices are preferred with the 6 speed?
If I'm not mistaken there are two different six-speed options, one close ratio and one wide ratio. You can gear for low-end grunt while reducing cruise rpms on the highway. You can also run multiple sprockets on the engine and on the wheel hub to get a similar effect but it requires moving the chain between sprocket sets. Stepping up to the 225 from the 200 will gain a few HP and torque points. Depending on the 225 set up and the use of an aftermarket cam and piston, the torque/HP range can change. There's a lot of varibles to consider. On the TW any HP or torque gain can be felt.

#34 ·
My observation is that it’s a lot of fun! I rode with a friend in the AZ mountains last week at 6000 ft. He has a 2015 XT250 with the smog crap removed and he was slightly faster than me. If we swapped rear tires “26x9x14” he would loose in a race. The build is TW250 SIX SPEED.

ronnydog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.