TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boarder255 and I are putting together a camp-n-ride next weekend but are unsure of current snow levels along the I-80 or SR20 in central California’s Sierras. Anyone travel throughout there lately or otherwise have info?

Boarder255 is coming from the Bay Area while I have to make it over the Sierras. We wanted to go to the Stanislaus area but HWY 4, 108 and 120 all remain closed due to snow.
Current plan is to try the Fordyce Lakes area out of Cisco Grove off I-80 but I fear snow closures above 7,000 ft. Signal Peak with it’s Souther Pacific shed and cell towers would allow us to communicate via cell, a real rarity for places we usually ride. 119133742.jpg

I would invite others to join us but establishing a meeting place remains fluid at best. We may have to retreat down to lower elevations in the gold country off hwy20. Anyone driven there lately?

Canyons down there can be darn steep, but rich in mining history and artifacts. Probably rich in recently mobilized placer gold too. It would be nice to explore some of the numerous old flumes that fed water for processing the ancient stream channels placer mines perched high on the hillsides. This is the remains of the Blue Tent Flume I believe. Anyone been here? 41157631.jpg

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
If it's June and there is snow on the Ground, I'm not going anywhere near the damn place :D Not that anybody asked....;)

·
Registered
20,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some of the flume water was used for small sluice box mining but much was collected to feed large hydraulic operations that processed very large volumes. HydraulicMining.png

This artificial erosion created some lasting scars like the nearby Malakov Diggings. 150Sawyer-GVU-022214-1-2.jpg

The waste rock and sediment introduced into the rivers by hydraulic mining until banned in the 1870’s greatly filled in San Francisco Bay. Several hundreds of square miles of marshland disappeared this way leaving the current San Francisco Bay but a fraction of it’s original size. This sediment and subsequent damming of most of the rivers also killed off what was formerly a pretty impressive steelhead fishery so that a person only needs light tackle these days to go fishing. ft209nb0qn_00001.jpg

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Awesome pics Fred thanks for sharing! With this years record rains in Cali the possibilities for Cali Placer Gold is possibly the best in over 100 years I would love to ride in these areas

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had heard all of the weather stories and seen all of the pictures but it still was over-whelming to see just how much snow was up in the Mammoth/June lake/eastern sierra on Mono/Inyo trout fishing opening day this year.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Problem is these wooden single tracks can be discontinuous and leave you hanging. View attachment 106097
there was one like that paralleled HWY 17 out of lexington reservoir into los gatos when i was a kid.... too many crazy and drunken people tried walking and riding it, falling and injuring themselves. it was completely removed in the 1990's.

The waste rock and sediment introduced into the rivers by hydraulic mining until banned in the 1870’s greatly filled in San Francisco Bay. Several hundreds of square miles of marshland disappeared this way leaving the current San Francisco Bay but a fraction of it’s original size. This sediment and subsequent damming of most of the rivers also killed off what was formerly a pretty impressive steelhead fishery so that a person only needs light tackle these days to go fishing. View attachment 106145
...and let's not talk about the residual mercury in bay area creeks as a result of the gold extraction process.
still fascinating history though.

·
Registered
20,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, the mercury remains a problem but figured I’ld sound too negative had I mentioned it. Too bad because I really like Dungeness crab and I’ld rather not eat any bottom feeders coming out of the bay.

We will try for Woodchuck Flat primitive camp site on Rattlesnake Creek on Fordyce Lake Road @ 6,200 ft elevation and see if we can ride higher into some granites bound lakes. Record high temps may melt away a lot of problems this coming week. Come drop by for a surprise visit or P.M. for details.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
...and let's not talk about the residual mercury in bay area creeks as a result of the gold extraction process.
still fascinating history though.
I had a neighbor in Palo Alto that had a well in his backyard that he used for garden water. I tasted it once and it tasted like the electronic industry waste (aromatic hydrocarbons?) and I didn't feel well for a couple of days. This was 30 years ago. Maybe by now it has cleaned itself or been flushed clean but I doubt it.....the plants in his yard didn't seem to mind and his vegetables were very tasty.

·
Registered
20,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At least we’ll have the full moon this weekend.

Hope others of you can get out and enjoy a warm evening outside.

Here is a screen shot centered around the Fordyce Lake area we will visit. There must be a good 35 lakes visible from half acre puddles to some really nice rockbound lakes in the photo. Fordyce.jpg

·
Registered
20,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
We’ll be camped on the Fordyce Lake Road, not to be confused with Fordyce Trail which leads from Meadow Lake, past Fordyce Lake and follows Fordyce Creek down to freeway. I TW-ed a bit of it once but I broke my clutch perch in a rocky drop and had to carefully retreat sans a working clutch. Nasty trail with several raging river fords and winch hills, not for motorcycles. However Fordyce Trail has seen some recent improvements with machinery like this spider excavator doing some needed boulder reduction: stelprd3816030.jpg Just might be smooth enough for Dale and I to sample maybe a mile or so.:D
But not the Fordyce Creek crossings:eek:

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
HUH?!? a trail even fred won't try??

the end is nigh.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've ridden some "trails" with big boulders. I don't do it anymore mostly because I realized it's easier to hike without a motorcycle. Also I hate to break things that I then have to fix when I could be riding instead. But it could just be I'm getting more lazy as I get older.

That area off the 80 looks like good riding and fishing!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts