TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

1.5 Years ago I bought a 2009 TW200 off craigslist and set out to fully tear down the bike and rebuild it into a custom city attack bike. During that time I've found a ton of great information on the bike on this site and just wanted to thank everyone in the forum for all the help and advice. I've never posted before but have been lurking for a while.

This is my first custom bike, been learning a ton and there's still a ways to go but figured I'd share my work in progress shots in the hopes that it inspires someone else to give it a go.

IMG_5495.JPG
All the plastics taken off, was pretty intimidating tearing this thing apart on day one.

IMG_5671.JPG
Bought a $250 lift on Harbor Freight, changed my life! Garage starting to look like a proper shop

IMG_6952.JPG
Started using the angle grinder to chop up the frame, remove tabs etc. Learning to work on metal was a big step for me.

IMG_6936.JPG
Rough fitting a tail loop to the existing frame. Diameter was a bit off, but figured it out with the help of a friend who used to weld for Chevron. He taught me the basics of welding with a stick welder. Not the easiest thing to do but it got the job done.

View attachment 187350
IMG_7162.JPG
Made a custom mount for the new gas tank. Welded it on, again not the cleanest but it will hold!

IMG_7422.JPG
View attachment 187354
Rough seat pan fitted and cut to size. Had to make and weld on new mounting brackets for the seat pan and battery tray.

IMG_0093.JPG
IMG_7423.JPG
Designed a custom Japanese dot pattern fabric for the seat, mixed it with leather sides. I'm a graphic designer so this is the easy part for me.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Hey Mr. 44, welcome to the forum!

"City attack bike"...I love it!
Did you coin that name yourself, or nick it somewhere else?
Either way, I like it.

Customs, modifieds & racers are my favorite types of bikes. I'm always screwing with them.
My current project is what I'm calling a "Suburban Dualsport". Or maybe a "City Enduro". Or something like that.
Part street tracker, part scrambler, part enduro, part custom, part Super Moto, part beer-fetcher for RV camping.
Something to drive the other old-men crazy!
Yeah, I have a weird imagination.
No pix yet, I'm waiting until it's finished.

Can't wait to see more of the "City Attack" bike...got a design brief, sketches or anything yet?

Most of the guys & gals here are hard-core dirt, mud, sand, snow, desert, woods, mountains, single track, hunting, fishing & exploring types...with a world of experience, a few ex-racers and a handful of wildmen. Who am I leaving out?
And there is much, much technical know-how and willingness to help!

Keep us posted...:wink:

Dave

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
One other thing...I think you will need a larger tool box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Part II Post - Custom TW200 Build

Could only post 10 pics on the last post so here is Part Deux.

IMG_7368.JPG
IMG_7370.JPG
IMG_7369.JPG

Swapped out the exhaust with a Supertrapp universal. Always loved the look of these shorty style exhausts and love how it bolts right on to the existing foot peg.

View attachment 187376
Quick gas tank placement here so I can start to see how it's going to sit on the frame, at this point I'm wishing I totally cut the frame and made the seat line a bit more flush with the new tank but I'll find a way to make it work.

IMG_1327.JPG
IMG_1326.jpg
Graphics I designed for the gas tank are applied and sent it off to the painter. I've so many cool, talented people while making this bike. Painting is something I didn't want to do myself but designing the graphics (inspired by Deus Ex Machina) was super fun. I wanted to pay homage to the Yamaha's japanese history with a Samurai crest (Kamon) but also have some fun as I'll be riding this bike to the waves in California a lot.

IMG_1839.jpg
IMG_1841.jpg
Got the frame back and reassembled the swing arm putting in a new bearing kit. Also swapped out both tires and had some custom decals i made applied to the swingarm. (Lost Aloha is a joke between me and my friends who surf a lot)

IMG_2347.JPG
Rough mock up of the seat foam that I made to see how the seat height should look and how it would connect with the tank. Had to plan for a custom cut out to make room for the gas tank bolt. It isn't pretty but got the job done for my seat upholstery guy.

Part III coming soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Part III

View attachment 187390
Custom seat is back from Wally's Auto Upholstery! Leather and custom fabric looking awesome. Decided to build in the LED taillight to clean up the rear. Unfortunately wasn't able to embed it into the leather in the way I wanted but still pretty trick.

IMG_3629.JPG
View attachment 187394
I could do a whole post on the engine upgrades...went way too deep with new clutch, big bore kit (224cc now) and grinded metal seams etc. Again I've met some insane people while doing this build and they took it to an extreme! Probably not worth the power gain but damn it should be fun.

IMG_1858.jpg
View attachment 187398
Had the lower triples trees painted black and worked with Cognito moto to CNC some custom top triple clamps and risers. Has a built in motogadget speedo holder which should look nice and modern.

IMG_3785.JPG
IMG_3782.JPG
IMG_3770.JPG
IMG_3772.JPG
The engine's done and back in the frame, everythings finally coming together and I can start to see how this thing is actually going to look on the road! Been an insane journey so far and still a ways to go on a whole new wiring harness, electronics (motogadget blue going in) and all the handle bar controls.

Still need to figure out jetting the new carb and actually doing a first start up. More to come in the future as this thing wraps up.

Not sure why it's auto rotating some of my pics, if anyone knows how to fix that let me know!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hahah I actually have another one (not pictured). I was doing a lot of work at Motoguild on Treasure Island and finally just bought my own setup. The tools alone have been a learning process here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Mr. 44, welcome to the forum!

"City attack bike"...I love it!
Did you coin that name yourself, or nick it somewhere else?
Either way, I like it.

Customs, modifieds & racers are my favorite types of bikes. I'm always screwing with them.
My current project is what I'm calling a "Suburban Dualsport". Or maybe a "City Enduro". Or something like that.
Part street tracker, part scrambler, part enduro, part custom, part Super Moto, part beer-fetcher for RV camping.
Something to drive the other old-men crazy!
Yeah, I have a weird imagination.
No pix yet, I'm waiting until it's finished.

Can't wait to see more of the "City Attack" bike...got a design brief, sketches or anything yet?

Most of the guys & gals here are hard-core dirt, mud, sand, snow, desert, woods, mountains, single track, hunting, fishing & exploring types...with a world of experience, a few ex-racers and a handful of wildmen. Who am I leaving out?
And there is much, much technical know-how and willingness to help!

Keep us posted...:wink:

Dave
Pretty sure I lifted the name from some moto article but seemed like the perfect term for this little bike. I posted a few more pics showing the final vision, check it out. Would love to see your project one day as well.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Very unique, very cool!
Love the white frame, bars, tank, etc.
Great details
Really cool tank.

Mine is nearly finished...pix soon.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Nice work!!!

For auto-rotating pictures, Admin taught me that if you always have your home button on the right side as you are taking photos in landscape, they will post properly. Left side means they will post upside down.

For portrait mode pictures, make sure the home button in on the bottom, not the top.

This is for iPhone, not sure about other phones.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Epic build!

Do you have any details on the tank for me? I bought my '12 to custom and never did it. Too much fun as stock but I am always plotting and taking notes on what I like on the dubs.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Very impressed. When you said you were going to re build....you were not a kiddin! Bike looks perfect for your planned usage, very nice work - lock the front wheel etc when ever stopped - SF has its share of bike thefts and thats a pretty one that will attract attention!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts