TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I custom built a trailer hitch carrier for my tw200. It has some different design features that I thought would be of interest here. Overall, I have about $100 in it for materials which includes all the steel, paint, and fasteners. I did the cutting and welding myself so that part just cost me my time. The carrier has fold down wheel chocks that box in both wheels so the bike cannot fall off the carrier even if all the tie down straps fail. Here are some photos of it.

Photo showing wheel chocks folded down.

Here is a photo showing the wheel chocks lifted up.

The tie down straps anchor the bike rock solid to the carrier.

The hitch tightener takes all the wobble out and I got it from http://www.hitchclamp.com. A bolt was used as a hitch pin and drilled out so a padlock can be inserted through it to prevent theft.

A also made the tail rack and mounted an action packer box on it. Plans are to mount a rifle case on the tail rack next to the box and install a 12 volt power supply inside the box.

The bike is loaded onto the carrier from the right side and pushed off the carrier from the left side.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
that is styling! looks very functional and stout. what does it weigh? i have a double carrier and it is a bear to manage.

·
Registered
572 Posts
That's very nice work and design. But honestly; these type carriers would give me a worry rash. All that leverage from both ends; twisting and turning. I think I would have to have some type of support on at least one end that hooks to the bumper. I suppose you could run straps from the eye bolts on the back of your bed; but that would probably rub on the body, and ruin the paint. A fellow like you could come up with a simple fix; I'm sure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the compliments everyone. The whole thing weighs 75 pounds including the loading ramp. I built this as a hobby project and did not have any intentions to make more. Never expected to get a missing link award....HOLY COW! That really made my day. I have learned a bunch from this website and it was rewarding for me to contribute a new idea here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's very nice work and design. But honestly; these type carriers would give me a worry rash. All that leverage from both ends; twisting and turning. I think I would have to have some type of support on at least one end that hooks to the bumper. I suppose you could run straps from the eye bolts on the back of your bed; but that would probably rub on the body, and ruin the paint. A fellow like you could come up with a simple fix; I'm sure.

I had those same concerns. The amount of twisting and turning with the bike on the carrier ended up being so slight that I changed my mind about putting support brackets under the ends of the rail. When the TW200 is on the carrier, it takes about 75 pounds of force to get about 1 inch of movement (up/down) at the ends of the rail. The hitch tightener takes all the wobble and play out of the trailer hitch receiver. The hitch tube is 1/4" thick steel and the attachment of the rails to the hitch tube was done by plating and bolting, not welding.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I hauled 2 motorcycles on a similar type rack from Ohio to Missouri balls to the wall all day and didn't have any issues. This one looks more stable than mine too.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I also like the built in wheel chocks, and the ability to load/unload from either side is a great feature, too. Awesome job with the design and fabrication!

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is absolutely what I am looking for, but I have a question. Do you you think it would be safe to allow for a ball hitch to be placed on this rack so the bike could be cradled between the vehicle and a towed trailer? My gut instinct is that it would definitely need some torsion reinforcement...any structural engineers out there?

great work on this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is absolutely what I am looking for, but I have a question. Do you you think it would be safe to allow for a ball hitch to be placed on this rack so the bike could be cradled between the vehicle and a towed trailer? My gut instinct is that it would definitely need some torsion reinforcement...any structural engineers out there?

great work on this.
The hitch tube is 3 feet long. If a ball hitch was put on the end, I think it would cause stability problems for the vehicle doing the pulling. I would not try it. An alternative might be to unbolt the rack from the hitch tube then mount the rack on top of the trailer tongue if there was enough room.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Looks great!

I would add some mud flaps to the truck because I've seen many nice late model TW's totally sandblasted with just a mile or two of dirt road or any road with sand blown over /onto it is a killer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts