TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 TW200
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished up my custom rack for my TW200 by bolting it in place last night. My first ever “custom” motorcycle accessory I’ve created.

There was no goldilocks rack for me on the market.

Manracks – mounts to good locations, nice aesthetics, but too small.
Cycle racks – too huge. Overkill for me.
PM racks – Almost right, but taper reduces load stability, and also mounts to subframe – no-no for strength.
Tusk Racks – Very close with proper mounting, but IMHO god-ugly square design.

And then there are the rest that I didn’t even consider due to mounting entirely to the subframe.

So I figured most racks cost more than a basic tubing bender, so I’d just buy the bender and make my own. I already have a welder. The manual bender I bought has some quirks like not starting the radius where you’d expect, so you have to bend a test piece to figure out an allowance. It also needed a good ol 4ft cheater bar to bend the ¾” .065 wall tubing, but seemed to handle it, fine, but would no go beyond that.

All rack material was free scrap from work. Even the rear bracket was a scrap bracket I cut down to size. The forward brackets (actually the most finicky part of the project) were flat 1” x 1/8” I bent on a friends brake at work. Trimming them to to proper size and positioning them for welding on a jig took a bit of work.

Finished the whole thing off by blasting it at work, and some black enamel paint. Now ready to strap stuff to it.

I’m considering a milk crate and Home Depot Plano 16qt storage crate for hard options, and a molle duffel or backpack for a softpack.

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Metalworking hand tool

Bicycle tire Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle fork

Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
So, is that bracket the only mounting point? If so, what will keep downward force on the rack from bending or breaking the weld on the bracket? The rack should have more than one mounting point.
Sorry to be a negative nelly. Otherwise, it looks great.

·
Registered
2008 TW200
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, is that bracket the only mounting point? If so, what will keep downward force on the rack from bending or breaking the weld on the bracket? The rack should have more than one mounting point.
Sorry to be a negative nelly. Otherwise, it looks great.
It mounts the same way the manrack does. Two bolts behind the seat, and the other two the seat pan bolt mount points. Both part of the main frame.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
OK. I get it now. The brackets weren't shown in your pictures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts