TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since our power grid is on the internet it is vulnerable to attack. Are you prepared? I was reminded this morning watching SundayMorning Show with Charles Osgood that this is a real possibility. The last time we had a power outage in our area it was out for two days. We hardly missed a lick since I'm prepared. I wasn't able to get K1 for my heater because all the gas stations that sold K1 also had no power. That did make me think if there was an East Coast power outage for an extended amount of time, how would I get gas. I need a battery powered fuel pump setup...Any Ideas?

Survival Thread. Survivalist don't normally brag about how much they have stock piled so we will say what would you stock pile and do to prepaid for emergency situations?

·
Registered
394 Posts
And telephone for many would be out as well. With the push to an 'All in one' system from the CATV companies lots of people get their phone service over the cable line. No power = no phone as well. Those standby batteries only last at best 6 hours and that's if they've been checked/changed recently.

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
My generator will help untill gasoline is exhausted.
Top- look into a hand cranked barrel pump perhaps. I've used one refilling helicopters from fuel dumps out in the bush a few times, good exercise and no dependance on batteries.. images-32.jpeg

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
We have quite a few power outages "a week". Well not that bad but does go out a lot for the modern era. It is very annoying that our power company, I will call them Bagdad Power Inc., can't seem to keep the power to us little ol Sand Hollow residents. We even get the same message with the exact same number of people out of power every time we report an outage. Did you notice I said "message" and not us talking to a real live voice? Conspiracy I say, conspiracy!

We can live for over a year at our house without power too, but I ain't gonna tell you how, other than we have a map to Twilights house!:p

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have lived completely offgrid before, and will probably do so again eventually. I have a couple of diesel generators and some solar (PV) panels. I do need to build a new battery bank, though.

·
Registered
474 Posts
When the power goes out, and usually it does a few times a year where I live, due to high winds, and branches knocking down power lines, or accidents, my entire house is re-energized in 10 seconds, due to a whole house generator, propane powered, and I have enough standby propane that I can power my house for over a year. Every switch, every outlet.
I will bring a few cans of Spam....

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Two words...power pot!

It's a thermoelectric generator. I just got one. It won't run major appliances but the technology is a good indication of wasted energy you can tap into from a woodstove. I plan to build my own larger scale one to try and run the house on. Maybe even heat my water with the same stove. I would love to be off the grid.

We rely on technology too much. One big solar flare or EMP and no more digital info.....I'm slowly weening myself off reliance of digital technology. It's a great tool in the meantime to learn how to be more self sufficient.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talk about EMP what would a person need to do to protect the parts required to run the TW? Buy spare electronics and bury them in a lead box?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Daaaaaang...a year huh...that is impressive...power goes out...not scared...wood heat...water just feet from the house, the only fuel I need is for the chainsaw...and I could really get by without it...hand saws work fine too...just takes a bit longer!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have lived completely offgrid before, and will probably do so again eventually. I have a couple of diesel generators and some solar (PV) panels. I do need to build a new battery bank, though.
You might consider this
Tesla Powerwall
$3000 for 7kwh is an amazing price for LiPo's Unless you have connections I'm not sure if you could do lead acid for that price. As you might expect there is quite a waiting list. My brother, who has PV on the roof, told me that if you already have the solar cells you go higher on the waiting list.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
When the power goes out, and usually it does a few times a year where I live, due to high winds, and branches knocking down power lines, or accidents, my entire house is re-energized in 10 seconds, due to a whole house generator, propane powered, and I have enough standby propane that I can power my house for over a year. Every switch, every outlet. None of my neighbors have the same system, so when power goes out, usually my place is the only one lit up for a distance. Of course, we will in the woods, so it is hard to tell how far away the next generated house is.

Funny, my next-door-neighbor, got more money than anyone.....has a wimpy 5K generator he has to wheel out to the end of his driveway and plug in...operates only 1/2 of the things he needs.
A year? How much propane do you store?

Im curious because i have a 20kw ( top of the line generac) whole house that has a dedicated 500g(400g of propane) tank. Mine runs ~50% load using power like i normally would( said to be ideal buy the guy that installed it) and burns ~2 gallons of propane per hour at that load. At the rate it burns it i go thru a tank of propane in 200 hours or about 8 days if left running all the time. My generator would need almost 18000 gallons of propane to run 24 hours a day for a year, at today's propane prices that would be almost $50,000 of propane .

I have quite a few neighbors that have similar setups to me and they use similar levels of propane. In my experience generators whizz thru fuel. Before i had the whole house put in i had a 7.5kW gasoline generator that used like 15 gallons of gasoline running for like 8-12 hours a day just running the fridge, deep freezer, a tv and some lights. We lose power in my area a good bit and sometimes for days at a stretch when the weather is bad. Early this year a had a couple multi day stretches in the snowocolypse 2015 we had in the north east and almost 2 weeks when hurricane Irene pummeled my area in 2011. Irene is what pushed me to get the whole house installed after running the old gas one for two weeks.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
And if you can last a year and there's no propane available then what? This is why I prefer thermo-electric energy from a woodstove. Unless firewood isn't readily available. plenty around here though. I guess propane would be better in the warmer months though.

·
Registered
746 Posts
You might consider this
Tesla Powerwall
$3000 for 7kwh is an amazing price for LiPo's Unless you have connections I'm not sure if you could do lead acid for that price. As you might expect there is quite a waiting list. My brother, who has PV on the roof, told me that if you already have the solar cells you go higher on the waiting list.
Last battery bank I bought (lead acid, Trojan T105s specifically) cost me right at $500 for a bit over 10 kwh. It's about double that now, and preferably I would go with L16s this time so double again.

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
"one has Wing generator"- Twilight, did you deliberately mis-spell this so or is your neighbor some sort of mad scientist genetic engineer?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Fair question, and...good post by you, explaining use of propane on extended use. As previously stated "somewhere" on this forum, I have a 5000 gal underground tank, and a 500 gal above ground tank.
I know all about consuming a lot of propane if the Generac is run 24/7. Been there, done that. I have learned that for extended periods of time...I have no need to be running the generator after 10 pm, and before 6 am, so that saves 8 hours. And if both of us are not home, then I have it on a timer, to be run intermittently, which saves another 6 to 8 hours each day. One can usually tell if the loss of electric power is a local issue, or a regional issue, or a national issue, and adjust accordingly. If monitored correctly, with full tanks of propane to start with, I can make it last a full year, or longer.

Reality check: I never expect that situation to rear its' ugly head. This house came with the underground 5000 gal tank, and I added the 500 gal above ground tank, so it didn't cost me any extra.

Trail Woman, I agree that thermo-electric energy from a woodstove is a great way to go. Some folks up here have that system. And I have all the wood available in my own yard, as I have 1000+ trees. If that need arises, I can make do.
That's a big tank.... how much does it cost you to fill it? Around here to to fill it to max(80% of liquid capacity) would be like 11 grand from dead empty. Ouch.....

Around my parts a 5k gallon tank is unheard of in a residential application. 1000 gallons are common if buried. In my case the town would not allow me to go underground with my tank so i was limited to 500 Gallons max per tank and i had to argue for that. The fire chief doesn't want any bigger than 250. They wont let me bury it because we have a really high water table in my area and they are afraid of it heaving out of the ground. Someday i may install a second 500G tank but not really needed at the moment. Someday when i convert my heat and cooking to propane i will need to get another maybe two.

If i could have a 5k Gallon tank in addition to the one i have the quick math says i could run for ~6 hours a day for a year. That would be pretty impressive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts