TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

THIS PROJECT HAS ENDED. 9/10/11

The contest to win a Cycle Rack by presenting the 'BEST' new sticky post is at an end. I am under the impression that we had only 4 entries. The entries are presented here (links) and I would like those so inclined to post an opinion as to which entry should be awarded the Cycle-rack.

Thanks, Gerry

http://tw200forum.co...et-replacement/

http://tw200forum.co...2622-tw200-cdi/

http://tw200forum.co...y-sticky-entry/

http://tw200forum.co...c/2819-tw-tips/

Appreciated all the effort. If I missed an entry PLEASE LET ME KNOW A.S.A.P

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I tried to do some work cleaning stuff up and moving it to the first page of my thread (links, wiring diagram and such), as it sort of turned into a free-for-all of information that one could get lost in...

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I'll cast my vote for Operose's CDI thread. I've never met the guy, but he has to be a very patient and persistent man to stick with the problem the way he has. A lot of research has been done, and a significant amount of time and effort has been spent trying to understand and fix his broken CDI. Thanks also to those who've contributed to the thread. While the problem isn't totally solved yet, I believe much progress has been made. As our bikes continue to age and parts become more scarce and expensive the solution to the CDI problem could make the difference between retiring our older bikes or keeping them in service. I believe adapting a CDI from another source is the way to go, but I hope those with the expertise will stick with it until the solution is found. Maybe in the meantime Operose could sell the Cyclerack and put the money towards a CDI to get his bike back on the trail.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm gonna go ahead and vote for operose as well: maybe its a bit of conflict of interest, but I haven't helped him [much] through his CDI debacle, other than providing a clean running bike/CDI to test his work/results against, and some moral support.

The amount of research he's performed, collected, and provided along with the few other folks that have been assisting with their vast knowledge of strange things may be the ticket to keeping older bikes (like mine!) running for years to come. Folks with pre-1998 TWs may have that particular thread to thank when inevitably the capacitors and thyristors in their CDI decide to grenade. Obviously Yamaha isn't being of much help..

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
I've gotta give my vote to B-dub for his superb tutorial on replacing the base gasket. His pictures are excellent and the detailed instructions are sufficient for even novice mechanics to tackle this job. Your trick of using a closed end wrench to get extra reach/leverage on an allen wrench is priceless. Thanks!

Brian

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
B-dub's base gasket tutorial gets my vote. Great step-by-step with really good pictures. I feel like, even I could tackle this issue as long as I have a copy of his walkthrough printed out. This is why I LOVE this forum!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate the time that many of you are taking to 'evaluate' the entries. My hope is to be able to ship the rack 9/8/11 so please continue to provide feed back until then. Thanks. Gerry

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Thanks to Senor Gizmo for providing the incentive which generated these posts, and to all who take the extra time "while they're in there" to take and edit pics, compose the text and get it out there for the benefit of others.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My vote would be for B-dub as I have a feeling his post may be the most useful to me down the road (though I hope not!).

Dave

·
Registered
614 Posts
I vote B-dub also.

I fully appreciate and applaud Operose's efforts but feel it is perhaps beyond the scope of too many members (that certainly includes me).

Well done to everyone though, it all helps us in the long run.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It is really hard to judge things like this as one tends to put more value on the things that would pertain to them at the moment. Each and every one of the post could in fact be useful to each of us, but the question is which one should win the cyclerack. I hope I never have a base gasket leak, and I would never try to patiently pick through the goo that encases the CDI. I doubt I will ever want to do much powder coating, but that could change. Now, the one thing I did do was print out the list of TW tips. I didn't read them, but I have a copy of them and will like another poster put them in my TW folder. All that said, I give my vote to the base gasket by B-dub.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well, having read through Sorethumb's TW Tips, I reckon that he may not be handy with a camera, but sure is with tools and has accumulated a lot of TW wisdom while hurting his thumb. So judging it on the information I am likely to find the most useful, Sorethumb has my vote.

Malcolm

·
Registered
86 Posts
Each of the four entrants has made a valuable contribution! Each put a lot of time and focused interest in his offer of valuable info.

My vote is guided by my attitude toward the TW — I cannot imagine getting so detail/technically-involved as to try to rebuild my CDI or to powdercoat any parts.

I simply responded to the rhythm and variety of information in Sorethumb's Tips, and I vote accordingly.

John

·
Registered
352 Posts
Whatever the result, the biggest thanks are due to Gerry for putting up that Cyclerack carrot to lure these contributions from the private workshop into the public domain. Gold nuggets one and all and each have different merits to recommend them depending on your criteria. Gonna get my TDub out and take a ride right now while the sun is shining as a reward for having completed a work task just ahead of deadline and am glad that she doesn't need fixing right now.

Malcolm

·
Registered
13,734 Posts
Sorry I can vote for only 1, as they all have their merits. But I will go with sorethumb.

Very big thanks go to all for your efforts!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the hard work folks. The contest and voting have come to an end. The rack will be shipped to Bdub this afternoon. Take care, Gerry

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So all can follow the 'flight of the rack' I will post the the tracking number as I am a man of my word..........

The rack shipped today in it's original package (I never open it). The tracking number is 1Z96X5050346525571.

Enjoy Brent, and thanks. Gerry

1 - 20 of 24 Posts