TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new member and look forward to contributing but probably start with questions on how to set up my 2015 TW

Cycle Racks...flat one or the one with the hump. I carry a bunch of stuff on my GS1200 what's the general opinion on either option
Hand guards and favorites
Wind shields

Skid plate I will murder the stock one

Thanks

BodypacTW

·
Registered
637 Posts
Really your call. Both versions have their uses, +'s, and -'s.

Flat gets you a modicum of tail-light protection and some more room to the rear. Hump provides a solid stop point for hard cases, etc.

I would pre-plan your packing method and figure which would be best from there. If you want, we can provide measurements of both platforms' cargo area should that aid your planning and decision.

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Brand new member and look forward to contributing but probably start with questions on how to set up my 2015 TW

Cycle Racks...flat one or the one with the hump. I carry a bunch of stuff on my GS1200 what's the general opinion on either option
Hand guards and favorites
Wind shields

Skid plate I will murder the stock one

Thanks

BodypacTW
We've got one of each

I think the one with the hump allows more room for acrobatics :p

Truthfully, we don't really notice a difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New to this and might have already replied. Probably going flat

What idea's you have for hand guards

Skid plate's

Thanks

BodypacTW

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
New to this and might have already replied. Probably going flat

What idea's you have for hand guards

Skid plate's

Thanks

BodypacTW
I have the Ricochet like CS1983 which I got from Procycle TW Page. I don't think they make a TCI bash plate but sometimes they come up for sale on ebay so keep your eye's peeled if you want one of those. If you're only riding street or logging type roads and not off-road trails, the stock skid plate is just fine as well.

I have Moose handguards but I can't remember what Mrs. Admiral's handguards are. She got my old hand-me-downs which I got many years ago.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If you plan to use a lockable hard-sided trunk, I would choose the flat style.
If you plan to use soft luggage, I would choose the up-turned style.

This is from experience. I have the cycle rack with the upturned back end and wish it was flat. The latch on the hard pack I have (EMGO) hangs down far enough to get fouled by the upturned bar, making it impossible to lock if the box sits back against the bar. If I move the box forward towards me, I can open the box, but I've wasted space . It's just generally awkward.

I also have a large tank bag and occasionally use an over sized duffel-bag, and really like the upturned back end because it provides a great stop for the mostly shapeless bags.

So... Pick your packing style and choose accordingly.

·
Registered
637 Posts
If you plan to use a lockable hard-sided trunk, I would choose the flat style.
If you plan to use soft luggage, I would choose the up-turned style.

This is from experience. I have the cycle rack with the upturned back end and wish it was flat. The latch on the hard pack I have (EMGO) hangs down far enough to get fouled by the upturned bar, making it impossible to lock if the box sits back against the bar. If I move the box forward towards me, I can open the box, but I've wasted space . It's just generally awkward.

I also have a large tank bag and occasionally use an over sized duffel-bag, and really like the upturned back end because it provides a great stop for the mostly shapeless bags.

So... Pick your packing style and choose accordingly.
This is exactly why I went with the flat after having the hump. My rear box is just far enough fwd w/ the hump that I cannot remove the seat without removing the box. Having the flat version now, I have clearance to do what I need to do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts