TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Rear Rack) ... Yamaha OEM rack on ebay $100 ... Cyclerack $200. I imagine the mounting positions of the Cyclerack give it more weight potential? But is it really worth +$100 over the OEM one? Kinda looks to me like if riding a passenger the Cyclerack bars would get in the way a tad, and/or be more uncomfortable for the passenger? I've read a lot of the rack threads, just curious if I really need to spend the extra $$ or just pull the trigger on Yamaha OEM and spend the extra money on handguards & such.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
That depends on your needs. Cyclerack is bigger, stronger, and more versatile. But I also have an OEM rack that came on my TW when I bought it, and it is adequate for putting a lunch box on or strapping some gear to. It's all about you friend.

p.s. I'm pretty sure you can get an OEM rack for less than $100. Try the classified section first. I think you can even get it as a Yamaha part from somewhere like partzilla.com for better than that. IDK, worth a try.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
(Rear Rack) ... Yamaha OEM rack on ebay $100 ... Cyclerack $200. I imagine the mounting positions of the Cyclerack give it more weight potential? But is it really worth +$100 over the OEM one? Kinda looks to me like if riding a passenger the Cyclerack bars would get in the way a tad, and/or be more uncomfortable for the passenger? I've read a lot of the rack threads, just curious if I really need to spend the extra $$ or just pull the trigger on Yamaha OEM and spend the extra money on handguards & such.

Depends what you want to carry. IMO CR is WAAAAAY better.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
The Yamaha rack is junk it's a flawed design that tears two spots on the back of the seat and can barely support it's own weight, The Cyclerack while it could be improved on (see forum user Toyanvil's designs) is far more functional and much better supported than any other rack on the market. Watch Cali Craigslist and you can snag them like new between $100 & $150 fairly often
SAM_5031.JPG

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Bought my TW with OEM rack. If it hadn't had a rack I'd be asking the same question. But I'm happy with it. If my needs change than I'll change it. I'm short and have some mobility issues so a hard case won't work for me so I added this tool bag.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hands down...CR. Protects you and the bike, carries A LOT, looks cool, makes it easier to lift up in case of a spill too. Plus, it's much more sturdy.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the OEM and it was fine. I had a milk crate on it and held plenty of weight. I did end up upgrading to the CycleRack and it's very nice. Specifically, I wanted the ability to carry saddle bags. I have an OEM rack that I would sell you for $65 if you want to try it out! You won't lose money on that deal because you can sell it when you upgrade to the CR!

IMG_1765.JPG
IMG_0843.JPG
IMG_1465.JPG

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I was carrying koplin fuel pack on oem rack. rack broke. It was just too much weight for a small rack like that. if your going light weight, your fine with oem. Want to pack gear and weight. cycleracks is way to go. I have two used oem racks for sale. one has been welded back up....lol. used oem rack $25

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The cyclerack is tougher than the bike and makes a great handle if your stuck or you need to drag it up a hill. Nice camera mount :) Admiral..

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
The cycle rack is great but not perfect since load is cantilevered entirely beyond bolts under seat. Overloading, vibration and/or crashes can cause CR mounting tab failure at buddy peg mount or crack crossmember of subframe under seat. Both are easily welded back up, I have repaired a few. Certainly any rack damage in a crash is cheaper/preferable to the damage that would have occurred to turn signals, taillight, plastic, etc had the rack not been there. And the rack is handy for picking the bike back up after that fall.Cycle Rack also provides solid location for tie-downs in pick-up, trailer or hitch carrier when transporting. Cycle rack is wide though, and makes swinging a leg over pommel a bit more of a challenge. It will carry a tremendous amount of gear.
Cyclerack will even replace/repair any damaged rack which is amazing customer service.

·
Registered
193 Posts
cyclerack will be the only rack you need to buy...I bought a Nomad which was too small I should have just bought the CR first off and I would have been satisfied.

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
Is that double loop an option when they build you one? $

1 - 20 of 25 Posts