TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
its a personal choice for the buyer. But a couple thoughts. Flat allows for more options as far as top-boxes go. Humped secures a soft-sided load better.
up to you really

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I recommend flat because it gives you more flexibility in positioning the load. This is especially true if you're mounting a box or case to the rack. When I got my rack I mounted a water and dustproof case to it because I wanted to be able to carry electronics securely. The case was large enough that it extended over the seat, which I didn't like. I rotated the hump so it was flat, moved the box back some, and I'm pretty happy with the result. I also like that the flat hump sticks out past the taillight, giving it some protection.

The downside of a flat cyclerack is that if the load isn't secured very well it can scoot right off the back. Also, some people mount a Kolpin gas can rack vertically, and as I remember that uses the vertical hump. Obviously, without the hump it would be more difficult to do this.

·
Registered
21,224 Posts
I wish mine was flat without hump most of the time. My seat is 2" higher than stock so oversize items on rack cannot be readily shifted forward onto seating area.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
It really depends on how you are loading it up. I have one with the turned up hump and for my needs it works perfectly. I have a SW Motech Racepack EVO II soft bag on the rear and with the hump it works out perfect. I also mounted a tool tube to the rear hump, its a nice easy place to put it.

Here are a few pics of my setup.

Its reflective too.....

·
Registered
814 Posts
I've got the hump but don't really know what I want?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
If I ever buy another one, I'll get flat.. More options..

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
........ I also mounted a tool tube to the rear hump, its a nice easy place to put it.
I'd be interested in how you mounted the tool tube....I've tried several mounts and they always failed within a few weeks of washboard.:mad:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Had I known flat was an option [I think GaryL's is the first one I saw a picture of], I would have gone that way.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I'd be interested in how you mounted the tool tube....I've tried several mounts and they always failed within a few weeks of washboard.:mad:
I used three stainless wire loom clamps that I got at Sears hardware to mount it to the rack. I got ones that were for 1/2". I used two on the cover side and one on the other end. The are attached with a 1/4" bolt and nylock nut. The clamps are very strong, I think the plastic on the tube will fail before they do.

Here is a pic of the cover end of the attachment. If you want more/ better pics let me know.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406595763.508597.jpg

The clamps look a little like this.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I am a defender of the traditional hump.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have one of each type. Like others have said, it depends on what you want to put on your rack.
An Action Packer mounts perfectly with the hump. However, the hard trunk on my other bike will only fit on the flat rack.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
GaryL has a flat one cus he didn't want the hump and sold it to me...lol
Yup! The flat was made special for me, I think, by Cycleracks. It just allows for strapping stuff further back on the rack. Bigger boxes sit better on the flat while other loads might be more secure with the hump to hold them from sliding back. It is a personal thing but I will always believe the flat is more versatile.

GaryL

Reactions: Texas TDub

·
Registered
175 Posts
image.jpg image.jpg
I chose flat, I like the extra little bit of protection for the taillight. image.jpg Along with being able to move the load back a couple of inches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts