TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all the post in reguards to tying the 2 racks together so they don't move. I saw the bracket "tinman" made when he was making his. Has anybody come up with away to tie the 2 bagsupports together? The strap that comes with them goes over the seat but doesn't really secure the supports, they still flap around. From what I see is they need something pulling them together on the bottom, any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
I've read all the post in reguards to tying the 2 racks together so they don't move. I saw the bracket "tinman" made when he was making his. Has anybody come up with away to tie the 2 bagsupports together? The strap that comes with them goes over the seat but doesn't really secure the supports, they still flap around. From what I see is they need something pulling them together on the bottom, any ideas?
I made homemade bag supports and I use a bungee cord to keep them from flopping. A more solid rubber bungee like they use on tire chains would even be better to stop the flop!:p

Reactions: jeffrolives

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
Now I have to ask, what are you using for tire chains?
The chain was a stray my father-in-law found along a road. It was a single and not a set. We compared them to the tire chains he bought with his Honda ATV and they were identical. Off hand I do not know what size they are.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well 1st problem I had was there is a left and right side, the one with the inside flap for mounting a rotopax goes on the left which inturn puts the cord to the rear and it now goes under the fender and frame, not over the seat, seems to hold a lot better. I went ahead and mounted my 1gal. rotopax on the inside of the left bag support like your suppose to do(I think) Now both bag supports are empty for bags, boxes or whatever I decide. I'm quite pleased with set up of the cycle rack and the bag supports, only time will tell and a bit of off road riding. The cycle rack went on so fast and easy, great product. I spent way more time trying to figure out the best way to mount the bag supports with my rotopax than the rack. Oh while I was at it I put some 2" Rox risers on, way better standing up, no sweat with the cable length. I'm getting there...

·
Super Moderator
14,298 Posts
Well 1st problem I had was there is a left and right side, the one with the inside flap for mounting a rotopax goes on the left which inturn puts the cord to the rear and it now goes under the fender and frame, not over the seat, seems to hold a lot better. I went ahead and mounted my 1gal. rotopax on the inside of the left bag support like your suppose to do(I think) Now both bag supports are empty for bags, boxes or whatever I decide. I'm quite pleased with set up of the cycle rack and the bag supports, only time will tell and a bit of off road riding. The cycle rack went on so fast and easy, great product. I spent way more time trying to figure out the best way to mount the bag supports with my rotopax than the rack. Oh while I was at it I put some 2" Rox risers on, way better standing up, no sweat with the cable length. I'm getting there...
Very nice.

Just a note on the cycleracks. They are a great product, but over time there can be some metal fatigue. After 11 years mine finally broke on the seat to rack bracket. The weld held but the bracket broke just below the weld. Pops-in-law re-welded it for me and the racks life continues. I've used it very hard over the years from pulling railroad ties to heavy loads. Also, periodically check your rear sub-frame. Some members have experienced broken supports. This may or may not have been caused by the cyclerack but it's a area to inspect once in a while.

Reactions: OM115

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had my first ride with a rotopax hanging off the Cycleracks pannier support. Went down on the left side, strained the supports enough and bent the thin steel Rotopax mount panel, so the rotopax was impacting the chain guard, which ended up with a hole in it from running on the chain. Disappointing. I like the rack, not the pannier supports. Now, trying to find some saddlebags I can use with the rack alone. Anyone have suggestions? Tinman Tim's supports look far more substantial than the Cyclerack supports, but I understand those are no longer available? Other options for the Cyclerack?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Now, trying to find some saddlebags I can use with the rack alone. Anyone have suggestions?
Resurrecting an old thread. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding VTer's question? Wondering about a good way to mount saddlebags to the cyclerack without purchasing the bag support set. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts