TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone knows I'm a big fan of Cycleracks. I've bought at least 6 of them. But it's becoming increasingly difficult to stay on board.
I've had a few problems over the years. Broken most of them.
We just got back from a ride down into Baja. While packing up my bike in Catavina, I noticed the rack was broken on my bike. I used some zipties to stabilize it, and we rode Mex Route 1 down to Guerrero Negro.

Guerrero Negro is just past the border of Baja California Sur. Very sandy over the whole area.

It was late Saturday afternoon, but I found a welder who was willing to help me out.

I took the broken parts off the bike while he finished up another job.

Over on his workbench... you can see the break:

Broke in the usual place.

They really should use a gusset or something to strengthen that spot. The bikes in parts and waiting.

He welded it up and got me on my way. The only wrench I had that would fit the 13mm bolt on the footpeg bracket was a crescent wrench...he lent me a socket that fit.

He asked me for 200 pesos.... about 10 bucks. Hell, it's 5:00pm on Saturday, he's saving me from hanging around till Monday...so I gave him 300 pesos. We stayed in a hotel nearby.
Hardly anyone there... maybe a couple cars by morning.

Packed up and ready to go in the morning.

Oh yeah... it was the "Cowboy" Hotel.

We rode down to San Ignacio.... you'll have to read the ride report for riding pictures.... where we stayed at the Hotel de la Huerta. A little while after we checked in, a couple of vans with trailers of dirtbikes pulled in. It was a tour group led by Chris Haines. Chris Haines Motorcycle Adventure Company
Looked pretty cool and I think those guys were having fun.

A bunch of bikes to keep our little piggies company.

Funny watching the guides round them up and move 'em out in the morning...

Also staying at the hotel was Henri from the Netherlands... he's been travelling for over 2 and a half years now.

While we were talking, I told him about the broken rack and stopping in Guerrero Negro. He said, "Oh yeah, I saw that"
"Saw that? I had it fixed!" I said. "No, no, no...I saw the broken one" he said. We walked over and looked at the bikes. On Mrs. Trip's:

I treated him to a few choice American curse words. "You have gotta be kidding me!"

We rode around looking for a welding shop. Stopped in an auto parts store... they gave me directions. South, out of town. The guy said sure, he'd fix it. Same deal, I took off the rack.

A close-up.

It was tough getting it back into place. We both tried pulling on it....no way. He used a small bottle jack to get the pipe lined up. Then welded it.

Then we loaded back up. We hung around San Ignacio for another night...It was too late in the day by the time we got things fixed.

While there were a few other mishaps along the way... lost bolt on my license plate...fixed with a ziptie. Lost the nut on the side of the Clarke tank...found a replacement. Finally severed my left hand mirror in a minor "incident" involving a bottomless pit of dust... limped it back to Tucson with some tape, zipties, and some plastic steel... we had a pretty low incidence of problems.

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
My original cycle rack from 2005 has broken twice in the same sot as yours. The weld repair held but the bracket now broke below the weld. I’ve been using the one I got from you since it arrived. Smaller but good enough for my use. We don’t need to pack like you two do.

Looks like another great tw adventure venture by the Rhodetrips.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Baja! what a beautiful place with people that have always been friendly to us. where did you stay in cataviña?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I love Baja. More envy. I wish I could get my wife to go down there with me. Another cool Rhodetrip.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Apparently you have found (several times you say) the real weight limit for the cyclerack. Do you think it's more about what you are hanging on the sides or on top with the vibrations?
You really don't look crazily loaded. Not like the around-the-world guy. Off-hand what do you think that is?

Man, that is such a great looking adventure/trip. Ride safe and have fun.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Thanks for sharing your trip...love those hotels.
I bought a CycleRack a couple years ago from a local guy. I’ve heard they break a lot but it was a deal so I bought it.
I just installed it for the first time for our Devils Nose ride. I figured I’ll have around 60 pounds loaded so hopefully it holds up.
All my other racks anchor onto the subframe. I wonder if it would help to weld another bracket from the rack to the subframe (turn signals)

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
I bought a CycleRack a couple years ago from a local guy. I’ve heard they break a lot but it was a deal so I bought it.
I just installed it for the first time for our Devils Nose ride. I figured I’ll have around 60 pounds loaded so hopefully it holds up.
All my other racks anchor onto the subframe. I wonder if it would help to weld another bracket from the rack to the subframe (turn signals)
Top, I think some of the problem is the flex in the rear due to many factors some of which I can't think of (weight, flex from weight, stress point etc).

Forum member old w/too many something or other came up with a good solution. I think he modified a hockey puck and placed/secured it between the middle of the rack and the pad on the fender to help support it from flexing. You could probably use something other than a hockey puck but I think you'll be able to visualize what I'm talking about.

I'm pretty sure my rack broke because of the flexing and I haven't even put that much weight on the rack as does the Rhodetrips. Well, I did carry a 30 lbs. dog on the back for many years but the rack didn't fail until Georgie couldn't ride anymore.

I had forgot about Freds wire shelving as a support. I'm gonna have to adapt my racks like he has when I want to carry stuff for more than a day.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Baja! what a beautiful place with people that have always been friendly to us. where did you stay in cataviña?
Yes, the people are always great. We stayed at the Mission Hotel in Catavina. Very nice place, and the only hotel there...as you know, it's the middle of nowhere.

It's one of the nicest places we stayed.... about $55 dollars as I recall.

We had to get barrel gas in Catavina. I love this guy.... make your own Pemex station.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Apparently you have found (several times you say) the real weight limit for the cyclerack. Do you think it's more about what you are hanging on the sides or on top with the vibrations?
You really don't look crazily loaded. Not like the around-the-world guy. Off-hand what do you think that is?

Man, that is such a great looking adventure/trip. Ride safe and have fun.
Yeah, I don't think we are loaded crazy... my guess is no more than 60 lbs, but I have never weighed what we have. I think part of it is the Tinman brackets and the Wolfman Bags. They add weight down low and kind of on the sides which are increasing the stress on that bracket. I think that some supports to the turn signals like on a Happy Trail rack would definitely help. It is the vibration...seems like every failure has been after washboard road. I have not had one break like Mrs Trip's did on this ride before.... the tubing itself is broken. Did have one break at the footpeg as well.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is between Punta Colonet and Camalu.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Now, Henri, the Dutch guy, who seems to know a thing or two about loading a motorcycle... was telling me that the problem is that there is no flex to the rack. He insisted that rather than solidly bolted to the bike, it is better to have a looser connection so that the rack can flex independently of the bike. I know he has had his repaired along the line. We speculated that some rubber washers or bushings where the Cyclerack is attached to the bike might provide enough give.
I don't know but it does make sense.
We have also had to repair or replace the underseat strap on the TW's themselves because they were breaking. The last few bikes were redone with a ridiculously oversized cross member that completely replaced the OEM support. My bike has a piece of 3/8 or so round bar welded in under the OEM bracket, and that seems to be holding OK.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Playa San Ramon. Rode about 15 miles on the beach from Vicente Guerrero to San Quintin.

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
Now, Henri, the Dutch guy, who seems to know a thing or two about loading a motorcycle... was telling me that the problem is that there is no flex to the rack. He insisted that rather than solidly bolted to the bike, it is better to have a looser connection so that the rack can flex independently of the bike. I know he has had his repaired along the line. We speculated that some rubber washers or bushings where the Cyclerack is attached to the bike might provide enough give.
I don't know but it does make sense.
We have also had to repair or replace the underseat strap on the YW's themselves because they were breaking. The last few bikes were redone with a ridiculously oversized cross member that completely replaced the OEM support. My bike has a piece of 3/8 or so round bar welded in under the OEM bracket, and that seems to be holding OK.

Ha, and I thought the breaks were due to not being able to flex. Maybe it ain't flexing in the right area or way. Rubberizing the mount points is a good idea. Until then I'll just weld and ride though you two can get caught with the breaks and the most inconvenient times. Not that there is a convenient time.

The tube break on Mrs. Trips was the first one I've seen or heard of. Weird eh?

I think my 2015 TW is a weakling. I had to use that underseat bracket you sent me on the 15. Had the rack on the 2005 for 10 years and nothing happened to the TW frame or the rack. Yep, I got a TW wimpy frame now. :p

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ha, and I thought the breaks were due to not being able to flex. Maybe it ain't flexing in the right area or way. Rubberizing the mount points is a good idea. Until then I'll just weld and ride though you two can get caught with the breaks and the most inconvenient times. Not that there is a convenient time.

The tube break on Mrs. Trips was the first one I've seen or heard of. Weird eh?

I think my 2015 TW is a weakling. I had to use that underseat bracket you sent me on the 15. Had the rack on the 2005 for 10 years and nothing happened to the TW frame or the rack. Yep, I got a TW wimpy frame now. :p
Yep, they never break when it's convenient, that's for sure. I have never heard of a tube breaking before either. The welder and I both tugged on that and we couldn't get it back into place. Took a bottle jack to do it.
We debated waiting to fix her bike until we got to San Juanico.... good thing we didn't, it was rough the whole way. Here's a bit:

And San Juanico is off the grid. The hotel only had electricity between 5 and 10 pm. Scorpion Bay Hotel:

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
34.JPG i installed supports on mine, never had any problems, but i never carried 60lbs. i also had a top box bolted to the rack and that might have strengthened the rack from twisting. i do know that the extra supports did remove alot of bounce out of the rack and that would have taken a lot of stress off of the under seat support

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's a bummer. I do not own a TW yet but I'm very close to buying one and I was planning on adding a cycleracks rack if I couldn't find a bike that already had one. I had assumed it was the biggest strongest rack because it was the only one that had additional support on the footpegs.

Is there another rack that holds up better?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts