TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Cycleracks or Happy Trails rack systems

9K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  te008742 
#1 ·
I'm trying to decide between rack systems, a Cycleracks or a Happy Trails. When I say rack system I mean rear top and side racks. They both seem to be very reputable with Cycleracks seeming to have a bigger top rack but Happy Trails side racks being much more robust than Cycleracks hanging Bag Supports.

The Moto camping setup I'm thinking of is to have saddlebags (probably Wolfman E-12) hanging over passenger seat area for smaller and heavier items, duffle bag on top rack for bulky light stuff (tent, sleeping bag, etc.) And then rotopax fuel/water cans on side racks.

Pro for Happy Trails is side racks seem much more robust, pro for Cycleracks is I could remove side racks easy when not using them.

Would love input on both these racks, particularly from those who have used the side racks from either source.

#11 ·
Hell of a deal here if you decide to go this route. No affiliation. —> https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/323785332507
the auction ain't over til it's over but maybe the guy had a buy it now before bids were placed and thats why it looked like a deal

it's something to watch though !

I have a slightly used (aprx 200 miles riding) full HT rear rack set with side racks and turn signal extensions etc as well as an unused HT front rack I'll be posting in the classifieds this weekend

#5 ·
I just recently removed my Cyclerack and went with the full HT SU side rack and tail rack. I couldn't find a set of panniers that I liked since the ones everyone raves about aren't being made anymore. I am much happier with the HT rack since it has more points for me to attach tiedowns to without having to stretch the bungees to kingdom come. I also have the inner tool rack mounted on the left side to carry a rotopax when I finally go riding in the desert.

I have nothing bad to say about the cyclerack just didn't work for what I want to do in the future.

#6 ·
That is a great deal on HT on eBay. Can't beat that.
I have a Cyclerack on my TW & had a HT on my KLR. Never had or wanted the side attachment accessories so can't speak to that. But they are both quality items.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone
#8 ·
Don and Marc at Cycle Racks will always get my vote. They just made me a special order rear rack for my BW 350 project. I needed my rack to have the flat back rather than the humped one and I needed it painted red to match my bike color. They hit it out of the park and it is a perfect fit and color match.

GaryL

Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Car Automotive tire

#9 ·
Your 350 project is looking incredible Gary.

Reactions: littletommy
#12 · (Edited)
Couldn't disagree more, JMO

That piece of sheet metal on the TW that the CR attaches to on the frame is not the fault of the CR, it's the TW. I did replace and beef up that on both TW's. Have you seen the loaded up cycle rack on our bikes when we go TW camping for 3-4 days at a time? On their web site is a pic of me and my 2001 TW by the river on one of our Around the Olympic Mts. trips.
Land vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycling

Warranty speaks for it's self.

Cycle Rack Warranty,
All our products are 100% made in the USA.
If the rack is ever broken for any reason​
, we will replace it for
free​
, you just pay the shipping.
Never a question if you are the original owner or not, A STANDUP COMPANY FOR SURE.

Happy Trails Products Warranty
Warranty Policy
  • We warrant products we manufacture to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for one year from the date of purchase.
  • During the one year period, Happy Trails will at its sole option, repair or replace any components which fail due to defects in materials and workmanship in normal use. Repairs or replacement will be at no charge to the customer. Freight will be prepaid by Happy Trails for USA customers only. In certain cases, return of the product for inspection, repair, and/or replacement may be necessary. This warranty does not cover damage caused by crashes, abuse, unreasonable wear and tear, or improper installation.
  • The warranty is intended for the original purchaser only. Proof of purchase will be needed to submit an item for warranty consideration. Happy Trails will consider items for warranty repair that are over a year if they fit the criteria above.
  • To begin a warranty claim, please contact us by sending an email to support@happy-trail.com.

#14 ·
a follow up question,... which rack do people use when they make a lil following trailer? Is mounting to the swing arm preferred, or if the rear rack, which rack would perform better?

#17 ·
Happy Trails all the way it isn't even close the CycleCrack is a flawed design while the Happy Trails System is strong as an Ox especially if you plan to load up for an Overland adventure etc

I wish I would have taken picks of the rack on my 2014 TW but I never thought I'd sell it I just removed it to do some de-adventurizing on my TW getting it ready to sell

Heres the HT system I have for sale