TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Shipping will be the killer for you. CR sells this rack for $199 delivered. I have bought 6 of them so far and have this exact one hanging in my shed still new and no TW. I will bet you can't ship it to the next town over from you for less than $30 by either of the carriers. CR I am sure gets a special shipping rate because they ship so many but unless you have a business account you get hosed. I will sell mine for the same price you are asking but only to someone who can come and get it and I will install it on the spot for free. I am really pretty pissed about the shipping costs of most items. I bought a new TW shock from a member here, the 2017 newer style. The member gave me a great deal on the shock but I got shocked when the cost of shipping it was more than he charged me for the shock. SO, A $25 great deal turned into a $60 purchase and now if I sell it for the $60 plus shipping the new buyer will end up spending over $95. It is actually not worth buying and selling parts any more just because it costs to damn much to ship them.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Shipping ain't what it used to be that's for sure. :mad:
Certainly, local meetup preferred, could save us both some money. :cool:
Have had some interest but nothing definite yet.
When you do sell it if you don't mind, please post what it cost to ship it from point to point. AZ to NY will be a lot more than AZ to CA. Forget about even entertaining shipping to Canada unless the buyer is paying that freight bill.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
4,855 Posts
Ironically, I bought a Manrack two years ago - it only cost around 50 bucks shipping from the States to the UK ......

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I can't figure all these different shipping charges out!! except if it comes across the border, then we really have to pay. but...how is it that the Asians can ship a 136 link o ring chain to me from china for free. it wasn't light?
You paid for the chain in American dollars which are worth way more than their own currency right now.

Gary

·
Super Moderator
4,855 Posts
"China Post" is free from China - that's why they can sell so cheap

For China, that works out rather well - once it's in (insert your country here) - your country is honour bound to pick up the tab from there

It's all to do with the "United Postal Union" rules

Jetworldwide_com_e-commerce_graphic.jpg

Low Cost Delivery from China to the USA Explained

To a degree, yes, it sucks (on our postal services at least) - but until "we" stop buying from China because it's cheaper - "game on"

If you buy "home made", you support your industries - if you buy Chinese, you support theirs - it's a simple as that, even if it's a small package, it still takes advantage of your own postal system

Like it or not, China is creeping up on all of us, and very few will put their dollar where their mouth is.

The other issue is "environmental" - China can produce goods on the cheap, because the pay is (mostly) crap, and they can dump waste more or less at will. This is why most of the toxic waste industries (such as Apple etc) are made in China. Who cares if they fuck up their country as long as we (the Western consumer companies) get bigger profit margins.

Batteries, computers, (even motorcycles) - "Made in China" is cheaper - but if the quality is just as good, then why not ?

We live in an age of "World Economy", and of Corporate greed - and I, just as you, are sucking it up ........

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
several years ago I was able to buy cycleracks wholesale directly from the guys in Nampa Idaho paying $97 for rears and $86 for front 100 of each at a pop dropping around $20,000 in cash at their shop. This was great because I could offer my TW buyers a front and rear set for $200 installed if they purchased a TW and it was a great bonus helping sell bikes. At one point I offered rear racks on ebay for $169 delivered and I would buy double wall cardboard boxes from Home Depot for $4 each, cut them in half and build a custom box which ended up being aprx 36" x 19" x 9" you had to make sure you put them in a rectangular package if you just wrapped the rack leaving the curved shape the UPS or Post Office would measure the DIM's at 18" tall instead of the actual 9" because if you lay the rack curved portion upward and measure from the flat surface they are 9" tall but the Post Office etc would place the rack curved side down and stand on one end them measuring how high the other end curved upward which was 18" putting it in the oversized parcel category with insane shipping costs. The owner of cycleracks works for the post office so guess what his packages don't get this scrutiny lucky him. It usually costed me around $58 from Seattle to the eastern US. Cycleracks told me I was taking business away from them by selling for less than them on ebay and even though I reminded them I paid them $20,000 in cash I didn't steal them from them lol but they cut me off regardless. I've since made them many offers offering not to sell online and compete with them but they won't even give me a reply.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong on this, but is not every major country's nation debt owned by China? Governments don't want to talk about national debts, let alone who that money is owed to. so the postal issues are small potatoes
I can't say you are wrong! What I will say is that China is a communist country that manipulates the cost of manufacturing as well as their currency and their workers get paid a great deal less than most other workers. The US and EU are heading in that direction and Canada is already there but refusing to admit it.

All of this Global economy stuff is much more complicated than we can go into here but if the US quit doing business with China they would be screwed, glued and tattooed real quick and all that debt they own would go into reverse real fast.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong on this, but is not every major country's nation debt owned by China? Governments don't want to talk about national debts, let alone who that money is owed to. so the postal issues are small potatoes
You are unfortunately correct. Ours more than most.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I ordered this from the states http://www.petroworks.com/power-steering-kit-by-petroworks/ $250 USD. Exchange and shipping were stupid but its the best kit available so I ordered it. It gets to my door and they want $88 for brokerage fees. All totaled it cost me about $500 CAD. Its kinda like being frozen to the ice some days.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
several years ago I was able to buy cycleracks wholesale directly from the guys in Nampa Idaho paying $97 for rears and $86 for front 100 of each at a pop dropping around $20,000 in cash at their shop. This was great because I could offer my TW buyers a front and rear set for $200 installed if they purchased a TW and it was a great bonus helping sell bikes. At one point I offered rear racks on ebay for $169 delivered and I would but double wall cardboard boxes from Home Depot for $4 each, cut them in half and build a custom box which ended up being aprx 36" x 19" x 9" you had to make sure you put them in a rectangular package if you just wrapped the rack leaving the curved shape the UPS or Post Office would measure the DIM's at 18" tall instead of the actual 9" because if you lay the rack curved portion upward and measure from the flat surface they are 9" tall but the Post Office etc would place the rack curved side down and stand on one end them measuring how high the other end curved upward which was 18" putting it in the oversized parcel category with insane shipping costs. The owner of cycleracks works for the post office so guess what his packages don't get this scrutiny lucky him. It usually costed me around $58 from Seattle to the eastern US. Cycleracks told me I was taking business away from them by selling for less than them on ebay and even though I reminded them I paid them $20,000 in cash I didn't steal them from them lol but they cut me off regardless. I've since made them many offers offering not to sell online and compete with them but they won't even give me a reply.
I have personally had a number of such ventures I felt were excellent possibilities for a Win- Win on both or all ends. Working on one right now where no one will make a million dollars but we sure could sell a bunch of the finished product and all make money. Too bad that reality sets in and if just one supplier gets greedy the entire project goes straight to hell in a hand basket. I need reduction gear motors, frames, switch controllers and batteries and if just one supplier drops out or get stupid the entire project goes dead. I already made the prototype to get the job done for myself but to do it on a large scale would take me to the cleaners as soon as just one supplier plays games. I could however present my idea to the Chinese where most of these parts come from and have it produced for less than half what it cost me to make and market and still come up a loser in the end. Even if I take my plan to Shark Tank and get the funding for it I will still be giving 50% of my idea and the profits away. I am too old and don't have the capital to DIY except for myself but every older guy who see my rig wants one. Shipping would still be a killer unless my gadget got picked up by sporting goods stores and that again would reduce my profit and increase the end price to the consumer.

GaryL

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I have personally had a number of such ventures I felt were excellent possibilities for a Win- Win on both or all ends. Working on one right now where no one will make a million dollars but we sure could sell a bunch of the finished product and all make money. Too bad that reality sets in and if just one supplier gets greedy the entire project goes straight to hell in a hand basket. I need reduction gear motors, frames, switch controllers and batteries and if just one supplier drops out or get stupid the entire project goes dead. I already made the prototype to get the job done for myself but to do it on a large scale would take me to the cleaners as soon as just one supplier plays games. I could however present my idea to the Chinese where most of these parts come from and have it produced for less than half what it cost me to make and market and still come up a loser in the end. Even if I take my plan to Shark Tank and get the funding for it I will still be giving 50% of my idea and the profits away. I am too old and don't have the capital to DIY except for myself but every older guy who see my rig wants one. Shipping would still be a killer unless my gadget got picked up by sporting goods stores and that again would reduce my profit and increase the end price to the consumer.

GaryL
Do you a poor man patent and make them. Maybe a big Corp will then make them, you can sue since you were the original patent holder and make your million.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Do you a poor man patent and make them. Maybe a big Corp will then make them, you can sue since you were the original patent holder and make your million.
You said another of the magic words Ken, Sue. Then the lawyer wants at least 33% of what ever I win but if I lose it will bankrupt me.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I am not educated in the manufacturing world, but when some one like one of our members makes something and sells it to us, I am on board. I like low prices, but I also like supporting local business. I recently tried to order a Battery Tender battery using my gf's Amazon prime account, billing and shipping to my name and bank account, and our address. Amazon told me my bank refused payment, and that I should use my own amazon account. I went to my local battery shop Allpak battery, and paid the same price as Amazon prime, and he had it in stock. Duh, shoulda checked with him first. Live and learn. And yeah, China may own us before we know what happened.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I am not educated in the manufacturing world, but when some one like one of our members makes something and sells it to us, I am on board. I like low prices, but I also like supporting local business. I recently tried to order a Battery Tender battery using my gf's Amazon prime account, billing and shipping to my name and bank account, and our address. Amazon told me my bank refused payment, and that I should use my own amazon account. I went to my local battery shop Allpak battery, and paid the same price as Amazon prime, and he had it in stock. Duh, shoulda checked with him first. Live and learn. And yeah, China may own us before we know what happened.
How can the bank tell you where to spend your money?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts