TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, hello!! I am the proud owner of an 2015 TW with 800 miles on it. I'm very excited to join the club. I have searched the forum here and the respective manufacturers websites but can't quite gauge the dimensions of the two racks comparatively. The Manracks website gives a nice topdown view of the Wing Rack installed and shows it to be perhaps just under the width of the stock turn signals. On the other hand, the Cycleracks site shows two or three off angled view and I can't gleam much from them for a direct comparison.

I am looking for the most accommodating rack I can find. I intend to moto camp extensively and I would like as much rear capacity as possible. Having said that I have always sought luggage solutions that blend well with my bike. On my FZ1 (which I sold and used the money to buy my TW) I had some panniers from SW-Motech that were attached to the bike by removable rods that, when not in use, left the bike near stock looking. All this to say I appreciate engineering that can give me the best of both worlds, or at least as close as possible.

From the photos offered by both manufactures it seems I may be able to strap on a relatively equal amount of gear, but to my eye the Manracks looks much less ridiculous. The Manracks bolts to the crossbar of the frame while the Cycleracks bolts to the passenger's foot pegs, I see an advantage there, but again at what cost? The Cycleracks also seems to offer some sort of hand placement for the passenger.

I am looking to strap down a semi-rigid duffel drybag, a tent, sleeping pad etc. I think I could accomplish that with either. I prefer the more subtle looks of the Manracks but I would love some user experience and opinion. Thanks for anything you can offer, I'm so happy to be here.

Here's the Manracks top down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
While looking at Cycleracks front racks I saw another angle of the rear rack. It looks like it extends to the end of the tail, where it meets the taillight. That's a good 3 inches further back than the Manracks. I also like the upturn at the back of Cycleracks but damn that thing's ugly.....

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 11.10.35 PM.png

·
Registered
369 Posts
I bought the smaller Manrack without the "ears". For my day to day it helps to have the smaller rack. When I plan to haul larger things or carry lots of things like in camping, it's very easy to add a wood or metal platform to make it larger. You can't make a larger rack smaller. I plan to make an easy and very inexpensive rack extension platform from 1/2" copper pipe. Can take it on or off as I need it. Just my opinion and why I bought a smaller rack.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Get the cyclerack. Get their bag supports. The bag supports have a plate on the left one. It is predrilled for a rotopax mount. Get the 1 gallon tank. It fits perfectly. Easy to put on and off. Might take you 15 seconds for both. The rack has a hump on the very back. Some people like it and some don't. I didn't. I cut it and rotated it down 90 degrees. Welded it back. Now the rack is flat all the way. I also mounted a backrest for my wife on there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the smaller Manrack without the "ears"..............
That is an interesting point. I’d love to see some example. I’m a woodworker by trade so that would be my default. I do have some talented metal working friends, too.
Get the cyclerack. Get their bag supports. The bag supports have a plate on the left one. It is predrilled for a rotopax mount. Get the 1 gallon tank. It fits perfectly............
Thanks for input, the gallon tank is also something I’m interested in.

·
Registered
228 Posts
For trail daytrips, commuting, or round town errands I'd recommend the Manrack, although I don't own one. But since you mentioned extensive motocamping, I'm going to say Cycleracks all the way. The platform portion is roughly 12"x18" and is not quite as wide overall as the stock turn signals. I've done a little camping off mine and I'm leaving Friday morning for a week long 1200 mile trip. Both my bikes will have all our gear strapped to Cycleracks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have a cycle rack on the Super Sherpa and a Manracks on the TW200. I did not but the cyclerack, it came with the bike. I purchased the manracks.

Mike's brutally honest review.

Cyclerack: It is a ridiculously large, utilitarian looking rack. It is grey, so it matches very few motorcycle frames. It looks like, and is, an appendage. If it wasn't proudly made in the USA, you'd think it came from a Eastern-bloc country; it's that lovely. It is large and encourages overpacking, but if one needed to deliver pizzas or put granny in her rocking chair while moving to Beverly (Hills, that is), it would be appropriate. On the Super Sherpa, it looks dorky. The TW already looks dorky, it needs no help, so in theory, cycleracks may actually enhance it's dorkiness. It will make it look like half of a quad. I am not enamoured with how it attaches to the Super Sherpa. Zero engineers were involved with the clamp to the grab bar design. I often remove it and only put it on when I am helping a buddy move apartments.

Manracks: If you can find the website, you can buy one. It is surprisingly heavy for its diminutive size. It is black, so less intrusive. Mine is the utility rack, not the BBQ rack. It has a rotopax mount on it, that I use with a 2 gallon pack. The 2 gallon pack can then be used as a platform for a 40l backpack that I strap on with rok straps. I also made a bracket so I can use the rotopax bracket to screw on a milk crate, when I want to enhance the dorkiness of the TW and fit in better with cyclerack owners. Having a rotopax mount in the middle of your rack is a very good way to make your rack relatively useless for carrying other things on the rack, unless you remove the rotopax mount. I kind of wish I bought the BBQ rack with the rotopax mount.

I am organically figuring out my packing system with some overnight camping trips. I will likely purchase either a Mosko Moto set up or go simple with a Dryspec D68 pannier and bag system. I have Precision motorcycle side racks for that purpose. I also have the manracks front rack. It so far has carried my lifestraw water bottle and a MSR fuel bottle. It makes a great grab bar.

My goal is to be able to go light and keep the trail and off trail qualities of the TW. I will be more of a backpacker, than a motocamper. If I want a bike set up for logging road travel and not eat dehydrated food, I will buy an older Dakar or Sertao, or just take my LandCruiser. I have no interest on riding a motorcycle on a big ol' slab highway. I will take my wife's MDX for that.

·
Registered
369 Posts
That is an interesting point. I’d love to see some example. I’m a woodworker by trade so that would be my default. I do have some talented metal working friends, too.
After replying to your post yesterday I was thinking more about this. I think I would make a platform out of 3/4" plywood. Would be easy to add points for tie downs, light weight, cheap and easy to replace. Could use clamps like these to easily attach to the round tubing of a rack.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The Cyclerack is a BEAST! It is nice and huge and the pannier supports they sell are great. I bought a front and rear Cyclerack for my VanVan and use the pannier support hanging off the front rack with RotoPax jugs on them.

I was going to buy a Cyclerack for my Tw200 also but decided to make my own. As it evolved, it was obvious that it was ending up as a Cyclerack clone. Turned out fine.

If you want to carry some gear.... well, you know the answer.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Keep in mind: If you load a bunch of weight on any rack and ride long distances on a bumpy road, the rack or subframe are eventually going to fail. If you can have some or all of the weight of a heavy load supported by the saddle, you're going to be much better off.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
i have no experience with the Manrack and do agree that the Cyclerack has an overbearing presences, but the Cyclerack is the one i all was buy. it is wide enough to protect the signals, all though i do take mine off so i can mount 2 tool tubes under my rack. as mentioned , loading up the cycle rack will cause bouncing in the rack on rough trails leading to the top anchor plate to fail. i install extra mounts on mine which eleminates all bouncing, i also cut the hump and weld it flat so i can get my top box further back. here are a couple of pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone for a very helpful discussion. I ran into one of the wildly talented metal guys I mentioned earlier and it turns out he a dirt bike guy. I inquired about modifying a smaller rack like Errtu suggested. He was all about it. I showed him some pictures of different racks I've found and he seemed to like the Manracks utility rack (w/ the Rotopax mount in the middle) as a starting platform. Once I get that and install it he will help me design and build a removable extension of some sort.

Once I looked into the Rotopax out of curiosity the same idea that Northernspy mentioned sprung to mind; for a medium load maybe I could use a Rotopax can as a platform. Also I wonder if my buddy can use the Rotopax twist mount to attach whatever extension he comes up with. That would be convenient to go from medium load to large load but I'd have to remove the Rotopax mount to go back to a light load setup. It's all fun to think about. Thanks again everyone.

For trail daytrips, commuting, or round town errands I'd recommend the Manrack, although I don't own one. But since you mentioned extensive motocamping, I'm going to say Cycleracks all the way. The platform portion is roughly 12"x18" and is not quite as wide overall as the stock turn signals. I've done a little camping off mine and I'm leaving Friday morning for a week long 1200 mile trip. Both my bikes will have all our gear strapped to Cycleracks.
That is a sweet setup! The Cycleracks looks a little crazy until you use it, then it looks like the best out there.

I have a cycle rack on the Super Sherpa and a Manracks on the TW200. I did not but the cyclerack, it came with the bike. I purchased the manracks.

Mike's brutally honest review......................
What a great read. I read it twice. Equal parts useful and entertaining.

i have no experience with the Manrack and do agree that the Cyclerack has an overbearing presences, but the Cyclerack is the one i all was buy............
Really nice modifications to the rack.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I too, had thought of a way of using the rotopax quick turn mount for my milkcrate, but it just sits too darn high. So I just use screws to the rotopax adapter plate. I'll see if I can dig up my milkcrate posts so you can see. Here you go, links below:

Reactions: jiggyb21
1 - 13 of 13 Posts