TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm new to the world of TW200's...but not to restoring bikes in general. The story? My son in law dropped off his TW200 at my home with the hope that I'd change out the leaking cylinder base gasket. A quick bit of research shows this is a common problem which can only be cured long-term with updated OEM gaskets. My questions to the group are:

1 Does anyone have a full list of the Yamaha gasket and seal part numbers needed to pull the head and cylinder?
2. Is there a tutorial available on the job? I'm most in need of torque specs and cam timing info.
3 Finally, are there any tips to be shared on how to the job right....the first time.

Thanks in advance from Wisconsin

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Go to Partzilla.com and search OEM parts for your year model. Good OE schematics.
That is a good place to order from, usually MUCH better than a dealer.
'Zilla's OE parts are discounted but they have a high threshold for free ship.

Same deal at Rocky Mountain ATV and others.

Might be a good time to clean up the carb jets & settings, as well. They all come lean.
Lots of info on here.

PS - Check out the "SimilarThreads" listings at the bottom of this thread.

·
Super Moderator
4,860 Posts
Loosen it off - pat it on the head and call it George - then re-tighten to spec ......

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
yup the clean, lube threads with One-Shot (ammo reloading spary chemical) re torque was a great discovery has worked every time for me

it was 2010 when they updated the base gasket but I believe thats the only one they sell now

·
Registered
13,352 Posts
Hello All,

I'm new to the world of TW200's...but not to restoring bikes in general. The story? My son in law dropped off his TW200 at my home with the hope that I'd change out the leaking cylinder base gasket. A quick bit of research shows this is a common problem which can only be cured long-term with updated OEM gaskets. My questions to the group are:

1 Does anyone have a full list of the Yamaha gasket and seal part numbers needed to pull the head and cylinder?
2. Is there a tutorial available on the job? I'm most in need of torque specs and cam timing info.
3 Finally, are there any tips to be shared on how to the job right....the first time.

Thanks in advance from Wisconsin
BEGINNERS GUIDE TO BASE GASKET REPLACEMENT
https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/2555-beginners-guide-base-gasket-replacement.html

·
Registered
305 Posts
As said often a simple re-torque on the head bolts is enough to stave the problem off. The gasket part # did change, but the root cause of the problem was uneven machining between the two case halves. Where they meet there is often a noticeable "ridge", with one side being maybe 10-20 thou higher than the other, over time tends to start to leak a little oil.

The "fix" is to just sand it smooth and eliminate the problem. It took maybe 20 seconds with a dremel while I had the jug off anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had an oil-leak issue that I thought was the base gasket on my '89 TW, but it turned out to be the right side crankcase cover near the base gasket. The issue and fix was just like RaZed1 said. YMMV. Welcome and good luck!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I had to replace my gasket. I used an aftermarket gasket kit and never had another issue. I can't remember the manufacturer of the kit though. My bike is a 1993.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My '06 is leaking since I bought it w/1400 miles. Has over 4K now.
The remove/lube/re-tighten didn't solve.
RVT didn't help.

I purchased the following OEM parts to rebuild it (when I have the time)…

Head Gasket – (6) - 1NU-11181-00-00
Base Gasket – (3) - 5VC-11351-10-00 note: ’06 p/n = 5VC-11351-01-00
Stud Gasket – (8) - 90430-14131-00
Head Side Cover O-Ring – (13) - 93211-05471-00
(two) Valve Cover O-Rings – (17) - 93210-57634-00
Base O-Ring – (2) – 93210-72529-00
Stud O-Ring – (4) - 93210-13361-00
Rocker Shaft O-Ring – (12) – 93210-09350-00
(two) Cam Chain Tensioner O-Rings - ???
Intake Manifold O-Ring – (2) - 93210-35537-00
(two) Valve Stem Seals – (6) - 5H0-12119-00-00
Exhaust Gasket – (18) - 4BE-14613-00-00

Other parts found
Chain Tensioner Gasket – (11) - 4FM-12213-00-00
Head intake side bolt o ring – (4) - 90430-06014-00

ALSO…
(two) Piston wristpin circlips - 93450-17044-00

Note: Bracketed () numbers are the parts drawing (fiche) ID numbers.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I agree with Purple. First try re-torquing the head bolts using something like Hornady's Case Lube as a lubricant. Re-torquing works about half the time and is a lot less work. Well worth the gamble.
tony worked this magic on my dad's '06. give it a try!

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
"The "fix" is to just sand it smooth and eliminate the problem. It took maybe 20 seconds with a dremel " - then another half hour to thoroughly clean out the cast off Dremel's abrasives and all the sanded aluminum dust.;)

·
Registered
724 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is there a reason you’re against buying this off Amazon for $10 shipped, or are you just trying to use something you already have?
It's hard for me to get Amazon orders at times, and I really don't want to buy something that I will most likely use only once. We travel in our RV and don't have room to carry "stuff".
I tried a silicone spray, but re-torqueing the bolts didn't work. I guess it's time to tear it apart and replace gaskets.....

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
Mshanks, I would imagine most gun shops in small town America would take pity upon you and give you a dab of case lube from the back if you did a good job explaining your need. Go prepared with a good story and a zip-lock bag and you might come away pleasantly surprised. Not everyone uses carbide lube-free resizing dies.:D
I find people like to help, especially if you give them a good story to make their day and then have something to re-tell to their reloading friends.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts