TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Cylinder Leak Down Tester

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  JerseyJeeper 
#1 ·
I bought a new toy to play with -- a cylinder leak down tester. I tried it out for the first time on what I call T-2, my 214cc TW with the 70mm oversize Wiseco piston I honed the cylinder oversize on and I also hand lapped the valves, aka a cheap valve job, though I did install new valve stem seals.

I have never done a leak down test before so I don't know if the engine is supposed to be hot or cold but this engine was stone cold. Basically I just watched a YouTube video.

Overall I am pleased. The combustion chamber seems to be well sealed according to the gauge. So if someone says you can't enlarge a cylinder with a hone I say they are full of sh*t. It can be done and done with very good results.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gauge Speedometer

See less See more
#3 ·
#5 ·
Generaly a leak down test is used to diagnose a non-running engine.
As I was experimenting with the leak down tester I did think to myself I could gain about the same knowledge using a compression tester gauge -- which by the way is / can be used on a non-running engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.