TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

D.O.T. ATV Tires

7K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  qwerty 
#1 ·
I need a new rear tire. This go-round I really wanted one that was D.O.T.-legal, I did a search and found only 3, which is 3 more than existed the last time I looked into it.

STI Black Diamond XTR Radial ATV Tires

EFX MotoGrip Radial ATV Tires,

Interco Super Swamper TSL Radial

Plus the street-oriented GBC Afterburn Streetforce ATV and a few turf type tires I have ruled out.

Anyone aware of others?

I've heard mention of a Maxxis D.O.T. tire, but near as I can determine none exist. A couple of websites mistakenly list it as D.O.T., but near as I can tell that just ain't so. Enlighten me if you've seen one in the flesh with a D.O.T. stamp.

See less See more
#3 ·
Nope. Unless you know something I don't the above are the only 3. Some sites claim there's a D.O.T. Bighorn, but other than the truck version they all have "not for highway use" imprinted on them.

We have a "big-box" motorcycle store near me. I need to go down there and read some sidewalls.

#6 ·
Unclear. They have 14 listed on their website, but the dimensions are listed as "TBA", which I assume means "to be announced".

The one dimension that isn't "TBA" is the diameter, at 23 inches. I thought it might have value for lowering a bike without shock mods. Never seen one.

#8 ·
Yeah. 8's or 9's usually fit, but actual section width varies hugely amoung them. My 26x9 Bighorn2.0 is considerably less wide than Ronnydog's original Bighorn in the same size designation, for example. I'm not sure I'd go the mail order route on an untried tire at this point because of that..

Hammer on them to make one and gives us all a group buy.

#10 ·
S.O.P. these days. Long as it's D.O.T. and properly constructed I don't care if it was molded in some guy named Ernie's bathtub.

#11 ·
Get a Dremel and grind off "not" and then the tire says "for highway use"...

I'm glad we don't have to worry about this stuff in Az. (there is no Az traffic law requiring DOT approved tires to operate a vehicle on the roadway)

I run my Bighorn 2.0s on my ATV on the road often with no problems at 70+ mph. The tires hold up fine.

The reason the manufacturers don't have DOT ATV tires is the expense to 'purchase' the DOT permit. Since there is only about 16 states where ATVs can be driven on the road (Az is the least restrictive - we can ride on the freeway if you can go the minimum speed) ATV tire manufacturers don't spend the money to get the DOT certification. ATV tires are designed to hold up better than street tires since the tires must be able to handle rough terrain at speed. The most important thing is to get the tires balanced.

#12 ·
This tire that christddel said he put on a Tdub.

M-917 Big Horn 26 x 9.00 R14

Is that not the same tire that another member here had explode on him?

I'm still looking for the most bad ass tire I can find.

The bighorn was going to be my choice untill I read that it exploded

#13 ·
They will ALL explode if you don't use common sense when mounting them. Even if they don't explode you'll do permanent structural damage to the tire from the excess mounting pressures.

The M-917 is an ATV tire. I can tell you from experience that with patience (keyword) and good prep it will seat at 60-70 psi, even if it takes a few days. I think most of these tires will. If you get impatient and/ or don't take the proper precautions they will deposit one of your arms in the top of the nearest tree.

#14 ·
I liked the super swampers when they were on my truck, but they were too small and got a good deal on BFGs... Never had them on an ATV. Maybe if the ignition issues are sorted out by the spring it will be time to give one of them a shot

<edit>

nope... I don't like this...

" The lateral traction of the Super Swamper TSL/ATV has been reduced to allow the tire to skid sideways which decreases the chances of rollover in tight turns. This is the tire that opened up a whole new world to the ATV enthusiast."

#15 ·
Yeah, I noticed that as well. I'll need to get a look at one.

I'm in the midst of working out a swap to a proper automotive rim and disc brake on the back. Think I'll just rock the Bighorn2 through hunting season.

Kudos for tackling the CDI thing, BTW. I'm constantly amazed by some of the skillsets of the collective here. If you put it out there the ideas start to flow. Needs doing.

#16 ·
I find that "specialty" forums like this and some related to forgotten japanese cars from the 80s that I belong to, are really where the collective wealth of knowledge can be put to good use. There are few enough "detractors" that it doesn't get cumbersome trying new things, and plenty enough like-minded folks to bounce ideas off of and get motivation from!

"with our powers combined... we are... CAPTAIN somethingsomething"

#17 ·
I would add the old adage that "No man ever improved with only himself as an example".

Some things are inevitable, such as "Lizrdbrth's First Law of Internet Motorcycle Discourse", which postulates that "You need no longer suffer in darkness. The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you".

No matter. Even if things wander into the nether reaches of OT it's worth it if SOMEONE learns SOMETHING about SOMETHING, no?

And none of you guys are sitting in my living room eating my Redvines or raiding my fridge. Win/win.

#18 ·
Mount a classic 4/5 rear knobby on the front of a TW and you'll find out about that sliding sideways thing. I've run the Kenda K760 and straightline stability SUCKS. However, get it cranked over on the side of that big flat tread and it corners like it's on rails. I imagine that row of little square knobs at the edge of the tread will do the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.