TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was riding out in he backcountry and after hitting a puddle that was a little deeper than it looked my chain came off and piled up. Luckily I was on going about 15kmh. It jammed below the rear sprocket and I had to remove the sprocket to get it back in place. ( happy to have the little tool kit! )
Anyway, broke one half of a link off and had to ride over 100km home like that.
Long day on the TDub! I wanted to post some pictures of the damage and get your opinions on how far I need to go on repairs.
I am going to replace the sprockets and chain
( stock 14/50 and a 428 x122) but I am a little worried about damage to the bottom end.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I am very surprised, and impressed, that you were able to ride 60 miles with that broken sideplate!

Those wounds are fairly commonly seen on used TW's. I would just knock off the sharp edges from the rear hub and swingarm, replace the chain, and keep a closer watch on your chain tension.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was pretty surprised too! Not much of a choice but to ride it or hitchhike though!

That good to hear the damage isn’t too bad. I figured just a clean up would be more or less what I needed

·
Registered
194 Posts
Glad to hear you aren't hurt.

I'm going to re-check my chain tension before I go for a ride today. I have a new 130 link 428vx chain to install, but I need to decide on gearing before I cut.

I've only been to the Island a few times before, but I would imagine you aren't doing a lot of sustained high speed travel, sort of like me.

So yeah, I'd be curious to see what your gearing choices are. Hope the bike is healthy, too.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
A loose chain is a happy chain!
Just not too loose...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts