TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P1000837.JPG On a recent Group Ride we were accused of "dancing on the rocks". Maybe it was just me.
Here is a little tribute to the TW’s ability to play amongst the rocks.
If it is dancing it surely is a slow dance.;)

P1000911.JPG

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts
Fred – you never cease to amaze me. Just when I was thinking this was another one of “Fred’s easy runs”, you take Betty down a mine shaft - (though I think that at 6.31 my “cheeks” may have been gripping the seat)

Reminds me of a recent Jeep Safari on Crete – single track washed out - 500ft straight down – they don’t tell you about this of course, so as “designated driver” for the day, I just had to grin and bear it. At the time, I was concentrating on where to put the tires, never mind the edge

Once back safely, I may have mentioned to my passengers that “I don’t do heights” …..

Nice to see Betty get an outing – hope to meet both of you one day …..

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Just a compilation from perhaps half a dozen Sierra locations as well as Moab’s Slickrock and Hell’s Revenge Trails.
I'll have to meet you one fine day Fred and see for my own eyes..... if you are as crazy (in a good way) as your videos portray you to be:confused:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I'll dance with ya Fred! :p

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Larry, no one I recall has done the Maze District of CanyonLands National Park on their TW. Could take lots of gas and provisions and go camp back by Green River Overlook at The DollHouse. images.jpeg
Borneo and I talked about a quick in-and-out with only emergency bivouac gear on the bikes but it never happened. Not something to be done on a whim with limited time. Better to base a vehicle camp back in there for a three day rock dance. _J3D4947-Edit-S.jpg
doll_house.jpg

I’m sure we could find something to eat but we would need to bring plenty of water. 5530347565_c8ed06c352.jpg
If you haven’t eaten fresh grilled diamond back you’ve taken yourself you are missing a good macho “tastes like chicken” western experience.

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We wouldn’t be riding on those rocks, that is just the view from one of the jeep road accessed camps at the end of a rather long remote trek. Park status supposedly keeps most visitors respectful in this seldom visited region.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice shots of some great riding areas.
I love the high Sierras and Moab/Canyonlands is an awesome area.

I'd ride with Ya Fred!

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, we’ll just have to go cast some long early morning shadows sometime.:D P1010462.jpg
Photo of setting moon near Eureka Dunes in Death Valley one early spring morning. That trail ride made me realize I needed more than the stock’s 1.8 gallons of fuel.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Larry, no one I recall has done the Maze District of CanyonLands National Park on their TW. Could take lots of gas and provisions and go camp back by Green River Overlook at The DollHouse. View attachment 135730
Borneo and I talked about a quick in-and-out with only emergency bivouac gear on the bikes but it never happened. Not something to be done on a whim with limited time. Better to base a vehicle camp back in there for a three day rock dance. View attachment 135738
View attachment 135746

I’m sure we could find something to eat but we would need to bring plenty of water. View attachment 135754
If you haven’t eaten fresh grilled diamond back you’ve taken yourself you are missing a good macho “tastes like chicken” western experience.
Fred, let me inform you that indeed a TW has been in the Maze District, as Sidekick Chad and I went there after Moab in the spring.

We boondocked just north of Hite at the start of Orange Cliffs Road. Not a bad view for breakfast.

Start of the ride.

The Dollhouse Campground was amazing!

The Maze Overlook was also a sight to see!

Proof I was there:

I think my GPS said it was something like a 144 mile, 9.5 hr. day. When leaving the Maze Overlook, I knew it was going to be a race to beat the darkness. I wanted to get back before dark because we had ridden across rangeland, and on the way in I nearly hit a calf that was in the road. It was hidden on the other side of a rise. Scared the crap out of both of us I imagine.

Unfortunately, the long day of hard riding had fatigue overwhelming us. We each crashed twice on the way back to the rig. My first one was the worst. Chad was leading, and moving faster on the XT225 than I wanted to go. Trying not to fall too far behind, I kept a quick pace. Ahead in the rough, hard packed dirt road I noticed a small slightly downhill section with a small drop leading down into a crevice with about a 10 inch rising step just past it. At a speed of about 30 MPH, I knew that if I didn't get the 18" front wheel up a little bit that the step up at the bottom would hurt. Giving a good yank upwards on the bars usually yields some result for me. This time, however, my powerful upward thrust also pulled my right hand completely off of the bars! As I hit the step with my tire, the bars snapped left, and I was catapulted up and to the right. With a thud, I caught myself with my right side ribs. That's right, one of the few places not adequately protected by my gear. It took a little while to shake that one off.

We made it back just before dark, and all was well after a good night's sleep. In the morning it was off to ride through the Bentonite Hills and Cathedral Valley near Capital Reef NP.

Of course, this was after I had damaged the GoPro lens, so I only have still pictures, but if you haven't seen it, check out my slideshow:

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Amazing as usual Larry! You two saw many a nice destinations.
Glad your tumble wasn’t worse. If I do the Maze I’ll likely van partway in and do a few shorter, slower paced day rides for safeties sake.
Nice slideshow of good places. I thought Cathedral Valley was an idyllic ride well suited to the TW at a moderate cruising pace.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Thanks Fred. Yeah, you can get in deeper more comfortably with the van than I could with the motorhome and trailer. There was a pretty cool camping area in one of the nooks on what looked like a dry riverbed if I recall on the Orange Cliffs Road. That road looks like the outline of a sawblade on GPS track as it kind of goes north into a nook then you go back southeast and around a set of the cliff walls, then repeat multiple times before you really make headway to the north. It is a beautiful road, and it should be seen.

The other option, and the one I will do next time, is to come in and explore the upper part. You could take the van in from 24 and boondock on BLM land just before the ranger station. Panorama Point, Cleopatra's Chair, and Bagpipes Butte Overlook are on my list for that upper area. Of course, that is also close to Goblin Valley and the San Rafael Swell area which also offers great exploration.

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the camping and access tips. Was considering coming in from west ( Goblin Valley side) rather than crossing the Dirty Devil [email protected] Hite, but was unsure of road conditions. Would like to combine with a hike into the Grand Gallery to visit world class native american rock art panels.

Larry, you’ve visited quite a bunch of great places but somehow there always seems to be more worth returning to. What next? I never know whether to return someplace and take a previously missed turn, or simply explore someplace entirely new. So many options!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts