TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI....i just had an experience with a very dangerous fuel filter. not that anyone would likely use this filter on a tw but i thought it maybe worth mentioning. i bought a dozen of these little pieces of crap for my hondas. yesterday i installed 2 of them on my ct110 and then went into the house. i came back out in 6 hours and i had all my gas on the floor of my garage and an empty tank. it appears the glue they used to seal the 2 halves of the filter together was dissolved by the gas and the cases separated letting all the gas in the tank go. be careful not to buy any of these!! IMGP2912.JPG IMGP2914.JPG

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Is this filter actually rated for gasoline?
Properly, they should be thermally or ultrasonically welded, not glued.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I had a procycle.us inline filter break on me the other day, presumably from fatigue/deterioration over the past couple of years, but I couldn't say for sure. My bike was running like garbage and then I started to notice the major fuel smell...fuel dripping onto a hot engine, while in a 2 foot wide canyon with ~10 foot walls, is not a good situation lol...

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I have those, they're sold as fish tank air pump filters locally here.. :(

FYI....i just had an experience with a very dangerous fuel filter. not that anyone would likely use this filter on a tw but i thought it maybe worth mentioning. i bought a dozen of these little pieces of crap for my hondas. yesterday i installed 2 of them on my ct110 and then went into the house. i came back out in 6 hours and i had all my gas on the floor of my garage and an empty tank. it appears the glue they used to seal the 2 halves of the filter together was dissolved by the gas and the cases separated letting all the gas in the tank go. be careful not to buy any of these!! View attachment 83513 View attachment 83521

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I have usually just got whatever lawnmower inline fuel filter I could find from a local business. I have never had an issue. It is a scary thought thinking of fuel on your engine while driving, knowing there is a spark inches away. There is something above the fire zone I don't want roasted.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I have usually just got whatever lawnmower inline fuel filter I could find from a local business. I have never had an issue. It is a scary thought thinking of fuel on your engine while driving, knowing there is a spark inches away. There is something above the fire zone I don't want roasted.
A sausage... lol

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
You are lucky they didn't fail while you were riding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts