TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the old forum:
"I talked today with my engine pro. He's a "old" MX diver and he knows what he's talking about.

All ATV tires does have big problem, they are build for straight driving. There is too much negative profile on the sides for a good grip in turns."

Yeah well, I talked with my grocer and he said it's fine. He used to be a truck driver and he knows what he's talking about. ;):lol:
J/K! If the original poster is still here, I hope he doesn't take offense!

Seriously though, that is exactly the charge naysayers levy against those who run a car tire on the rear of a street bike, colloquially known as "darksiders."
I think that is also a good term for those who use an atv tire on a TW. I intend to join them, when my back tire wears out.

·
Super Moderator
18,171 Posts
From the old forum:
"I talked today with my engine pro. He's a "old" MX diver and he knows what he's talking about.

All ATV tires does have big problem, they are build for straight driving. There is too much negative profile on the sides for a good grip in turns."

Yeah well, I talked with my grocer and he said it's fine. He used to be a truck driver and he knows what he's talking about. ;):lol:
J/K! If the original poster is still here, I hope he doesn't take offense!

Seriously though, that is exactly the charge naysayers levy against those who run a car tire on the rear of a street bike, colloquially known as "darksiders."
I think that is also a good term for those who use an atv tire on a TW. I intend to join them, when my back tire wears out.
An ATV tire is not really considered a Darksiding tire. So you will be fine mounting a ATV that fits within the swingarm. If it is too big you have to lengthen the swingarm.
Darksiding is when you mount a car tire on a motorcycle. It takes a little getting used to, but gives you more contact patch on the road, plus wears much longer.

·
Registered
20,722 Posts
I was initially concerned about ATV tire cornering capabilities but have not noticed anything in use to cause me worry. I have only a hundred miles or so of asphalt cornering on my Duro.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is a dual sprocket doable with the Duro tire?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think calling it "The Mud Side" is more fitting.I plan on going to one sometime soon but, I will probably go with an un common one, I like trying new and unproven ideas, just can't go with the flow. Sometimes it works out, sometimes I just say $$&%*%*

Reactions: WECSOG

·
Registered
604 Posts
An ATV tire is not really considered a Darksiding tire. So you will be fine mounting a ATV that fits within the swingarm. If it is too big you have to lengthen the swingarm.
Darksiding is when you mount a car tire on a motorcycle. It takes a little getting used to, but gives you more contact patch on the road, plus wears much longer.
My cousin put a Subaru tire and rim on the front of his ATC250SX its a white wall but only on one side:( it looks cool though.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Mine is at the ATV shop right now getting installed, he has it in the sun softening it up some before he give's it a try he closes in three hours, hope I don't have to wait till Monday.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Looks like Monday the shop called and said the tire is on but the bead has not popped yet and he does not want to blow the side wall. Now the tire I got from PC looked deformed and the bead looked egg shaped I might have to return the tire.

·
Registered
20,722 Posts
Patience Zdiver, once the bead seats fully I imagine (hope?) the tire shall return to the proper shape. Maybe the tire is just melting in your 100 degree plus weather.

Reactions: ZDR1

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Patience Zdiver, once the bead seats fully I imagine (hope?) the tire shall return to the proper shape. Maybe the tire is just melting in your 100 degree plus weather.
Well it will be 110 Monday he said one side is in the side with the twisted bead is not and he said he does not like this tire and I told him with the size and rear tire not many to choose from.

·
Registered
42 Posts
While the ATV tires look cool and undoubtedly hook up in the mud they are by design a square running tire .
Quads don't lean through corners .
That is the true " Dark side " formula .
Modern motorcycle tires are , by design , set up to keep a fairly consistent contact patch wile leaning through a corner.
I like carving corners and my hide.... I'll be sticking to the Bridgstone....

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes they do. And they have a rounded section, too. They just lean in the opposite direction of a two-wheeler. They have to, otherwise they wouldn't turn because of the solid axle in the rear.
Granted, the behemoth atvs that have a differential in the rear don't lean much. But the smaller, sportier ones do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not the ones I'v been racing for 15 years.......
One slides the rear of a solid axle ATV .
What you are describing is called " Bicycling " a trick one should avoid unless you like wiping out........

·
Registered
807 Posts
While the ATV tires look cool and undoubtedly hook up in the mud they are by design a square running tire .
That is the true " Dark side " formula .
Modern motorcycle tires are , by design , set up to keep a fairly consistent contact patch wile leaning through a corner.
I like carving corners and my hide.... I'll be sticking to the Bridgstone....
Another darkside nay sayer thats never experienced or seen any mishaps by going dark :)

Reactions: WECSOG and TWilight

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's cool man , I have no problem with the idea. Just being informative.
A new rider should understand the difference and drawbacks of the dark side before trying the idea.
An inexperienced rider could be in a world of hurt trying to run through corners with the wrong style rear or front tire....
Back in the day we used to run 15" car tires on the bikes , mostly Harleys , to get that fat tire look. Now we can buy 300's . Don't need car tires any more.....In the 70's a 150 was unherd of.....
I have never gone down riding a dark side bike. But I have experienced the death wable that can be caused by this set up... Nothing I want to replicate.....

·
Registered
807 Posts
Then you are the first Ive heard that had issues with it in the many years of reading about it. Wobble is most often caused by the front, did you have a car tire on the front? Perhaps that would explain it. Tough Ive been using car tires front and rear on my sporty for the last 3 years and never an issue.

·
Registered
807 Posts
My car tires came with a pretty dire warning too :)

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
The shop called me today and said the tire started to come apart and he never went over 20 psi so I had my stock tire put back on and it looks like I am out the cost of tire shipping tax and the shop only charged me $10. bucks I think the tire was damaged before we tried to mount it I should of sent it back to Procycle.

Reactions: TWilight
1 - 20 of 34 Posts