TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most miles you have traveled in one day at slow highway speeds...(50-55 mph)...? i need to go about 200 miles in one long day and am wondering have difficult it would be on a TW200... Luckily at this time I still have a 44T rear sprocket so I might be able to make it.

Super Moderator
You should be able to make it OK if you don't have too many headwinds or mountains to climb. When I was MUCH younger and in the Navy, I used to get off work Friday at 5 pm (Treasure Island, San Francisco) and drive to San Diego, visit family and friends, hop back on the bike and be back for Monday morning 7 am muster. I did it many times, it was over 500 miles and I was riding Honda CB 350's and CB 750's. Now days, I can only make it about a hour in the saddle...

Registered
To put it simply just do it. Pack a thermos full of coffee and stop frequently. I would stay off the interstates and just enjoy the scenery. I have done 200 mile days several times with no problem. If you get your mind right the seat comfort and lack of horsepower will remain manageable.

Tom

Registered
What they said ^.
I had a 190 mile or so day touring Yosemite from a camp high above Mono Lake but took many relaxing breaks so it was not strenuous nor monotonous.
You should do OK especially if not pressured by time...take a break every hour or so, walk around, take off the helmet,air out your gear and mind.

Super Moderator
The only thing that will suffer is your arse on the stock seat - other than than that, you'll be fine .......

Registered
A little more or less than 200 miles on pavement 2 years ago. Out to breakfast with 2 friends during Americade up by Lake Sacandaga, NY. They wanted to ride to Old (or is it Olde) Forge. About 100 miles. I wished them well but somehow they talked me into going, pushing behind me the whole way. BMW r1200rt & a Yammy FZ1. I did 60 to 70mph the whole way, 47T sprocket on the rear. Surprised even me. But I wouldn't do that again. The bike was up for it but other bikes do that much better.

Registered
My wife and I rode our TW 128 miles in Mt Rainier National Park one day last summer and it was no big deal, although I was really glad I had an extra gallon of gas with us to avoid sweating the last few miles. Before that little adventure, I had upgraded the front sprocket to a 15 (from a stock 14) and have an FMF Power Core exhaust and K&N air filter. Riding 200 miles solo should be very doable as long as you can get fuel (or carry enough extra) and stop every 35 - 75 miles to relieve your butt. We are not super hard core-either; even riding our Dyna or Road King, we stop every 75 - 100 miles.

Registered
Pick up an ATV seatcover and/or a sheapskin seatcover from Alaska Leather. Wasn鈥檛 a problem going from Anchorage to Tok in one day (about 300 miles). Swap the front gear and rejet for your altitude, and 65mph is mostly sustainable.

Super Moderator
7 years and this is your first post? Howdy my friend and welcome!! :D I've had a couple of those Alaska Sheepskins, they ARE nice!! ;)
Pick up an ATV seatcover and/or a sheapskin seatcover from Alaska Leather. Wasn鈥檛 a problem going from Anchorage to Tok in one day (about 300 miles).

Registered
I took a 312 mile trip to Myrtle Beach on a BMW g650gs witch has a comfortable seat so if I remember my tw right you better have some kind of cushion on that seat because even with a comfortable seat your butt will hurt after 100 Miles

1 - 14 of 14 Posts