TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
‘04 TW200, Jets+Shims, DGV2, S-moto fender, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS DOT LED BLK, Moose Rack
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...I have a brand spanking new Bridgestone TW204 ready to replace the OE 2004! rear tire. Yes, I violated every rule of keeping a tire waaay past it's prime. Guilty as charged.

I don't yet have tire tools & for my projected use, not sure if I can justify purchase of the "full kit" of tools I'd like to have, or would be ideal to have, for this task. (Been farkeling hard, lately).

I 'want' the Motion Pro BeadPro lever kit, but @ $55+, and only 'part' of the kit needed to do this job, I'm trying to avoid that hit, for a tool I may only use once.

Because the old tire's bead has been in place for 17 years, I'm not sure how hard I should expect it to be to unseat, but like a monkey trying to f a football, I came up with an "idea:"

Hold my beer...

What if... I use my mechanic's 3-ton floor jack along with the 2" receiver hitch on my SUV to position the deflated rear wheel's bead, horizontally, between the bottom of the hitch receiver under the back of the truck on (top side of tire bead), and the seat of the floor-jack (bottom side of tire bead)...

If I carefully positioned the wheel, so as not to damage it, do you think I would have success (with a helper), breaking the bead free by slowly pumping up on the floor jack? (squeezing the beads between the bottom of the hitch receiver box lip & the jack seat/saddle?

My logic: if I can break the bead free, alternatively - all I'd need then, is a set of tire spoons, maybe a couple MP Trail type BeadBuddy's, and a set of rim protectors to dismount & get the new tire mounted. This would save me the $55 for the MP BeadPro levers I may only use 1 time.

It will cost me nothing to try this, so I probably will give it a go, but curious if anyone's ever tried it before. TIA for any input!

Flame on... lol.

Happy Easter, too.

Reactions: Ken and Fred

·
Registered
961 Posts
I remember getting the bright idea of using the Tung Jack on the end of a
75ft moble home... Lifted the home nicely , didn't faze the tire...

·
Registered
‘04 TW200, Jets+Shims, DGV2, S-moto fender, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS DOT LED BLK, Moose Rack
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember getting the bright idea of using the Tung Jack on the end of a
75ft moble home... Lifted the home nicely , didn't faze the tire...
LOL. Duly noted. I'm betting your RV outweighed the ass end of my Toyota, so at least I know how to gauge my expectations... hilarious.

·
Registered
961 Posts
LOL. Duly noted. I'm betting your RV outweighed the ass end of my Toyota, so at least I know how to gauge my expectations... hilarious.
No I am talking about a double wide house trailer , broke a tie down....
Just go by a service station and nicely ask them to break the bead
For you....they usually won't charge you anything..
So I usually buy the kid working there a drink , and slip him a couple
Of dollars

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I am talking about a double wide house trailer , broke a tie down
Ahhh, IC. Well, I'm not sure of the relative weights we're talking about, but my motivation for a possible free solution remains intact. If my hands do, too, I'll report back after the carnage.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I have laid the tire/rim across 2 pieces of 2x4 on the ground under the hitch. Then let the scissor jack bottom platform rest against the tire and jack the hitch up till the tire pops off the bead. Flip the tire over and do the same on the other side. You may need to jack it up and let it sit for a few minutes before it pops off.

I have also had success on less stubborn tires using one of these wood clamps.

Have fun with it, and us know how it goes.

Marty

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
PS, @Workingman did not know to let the air out of the tire first!

:);):D:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Reactions: SpeedyTide

·
Registered
961 Posts
Reactions: SEADUB200

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have laid the tire/rim across 2 pieces of 2x4 on the ground under the hitch. Then let the scissor jack bottom platform rest against the tire and jack the hitch up till the tire pops off the bead. Flip the tire over and do the same on the other side. You may need to jack it up and let it sit for a few minutes before it pops off.

I have also had success on less stubborn tires using one of these wood clamps.

View attachment 213554

Have fun with it, and us know how it goes.

Marty
Seems like a solid idea! Since most factory supplied scissor jack bases have an hourglass-ish shape, seems that may help them fit the arc of the rim, positioned over the bead. I dig it. 👍🏻

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Worked with the receiver on my Dodge "Dakota". Oh crap. I need to think of a new name for my truck. 'Cause I know they're already trying to make Jeep no longer use "Cherokee".
Have you seen the new 2022 Dodge Atokad yet?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a backhoe and a Gradall telehandler. Breaking beads is my specialty.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
-or, breaking just about anything you feel like, for that matter!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I use the kickstand method for trail repairs. 100% success rate so far.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Seadub, I did as you described and it worked on my beads, but I may have stuck a 2x4 here or there for rim protection. Can remember. I was surprised how much force it took to get the old bead broken. Good luck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seadub, I did as you described and it worked on my beads, but I may have stuck a 2x4 here or there for rim protection. Can remember. I was surprised how much force it took to get the old bead broken. Good luck.
Thanks, man!

80% of this was just my hoping to hear I wasn’t the 1st to have thought of, or tried, or had some success with this.

Lots of great ideas here - thanks all!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The 2x4 also leaves enough clearance between ground and brake rotor of course.

Marty

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The 2x4 also leaves enough clearance between ground and brake rotor of course.

Marty
👍🏻 I also read some folks say put the sprocket side down, when messing with this stuff, not the rotor, since it can take more of a beating - a bent rotor would suck.

Fortunately, I’ll be changing the rear, so no rotor to worry about.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Please excuse my gross error! :);)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts