TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From KRQE, Albuquerque: A motorcyclist died after hitting a deer just north of Tucumcari. Around 9 p.m. August 1, New Mexico State Police were called to State Road 104, north of Tucumcari.
NMSP say its initial investigation determined a 2002 Harley Davidson was going east on State Road 104 when it hit a deer on the road. Police say the rider, 60-year-old Robert S. Evans, was not wearing a helmet and suffered fatal injuries. He was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead by the Office of the Medical Investigator. NMSP investigated the crash and they say alcohol was not a factor.

BTW, helmets not required (over 18) in Utah, Arizona nor New Mexico.

·
Registered
117 Posts
From KRQE, Albuquerque: A motorcyclist died after hitting a deer just north of Tucumcari. Around 9 p.m. August 1, New Mexico State Police were called to State Road 104, north of Tucumcari.
NMSP say its initial investigation determined a 2002 Harley Davidson was going east on State Road 104 when it hit a deer on the road. Police say the rider, 60-year-old Robert S. Evans, was not wearing a helmet and suffered fatal injuries. He was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead by the Office of the Medical Investigator. NMSP investigated the crash and they say alcohol was not a factor.

BTW, helmets not required (over 18) in Utah, Arizona nor New Mexico.
Nor in Colorado.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I rode street bikes for decades without a helmet when I was young and invulnerable. Not anymore!
ATGATT, baby!
The article did not state that he died from head trauma!
Maybe an antler?

In Kanab, Utah, last year, it felt so good to leave my helmet at the cabin (hotel) and ride to dinner bare headed.

If not required, I would still wear one most of time as protection against sun, rocks, hail, etc.

However my serious and moderate street crashes in 1963 and 1981 were lidless.

I think the first was "serious", although not a scratch, abrasion or even a bruise...but I was hospitalized, then put in a body cast for a compressed 5th lumber. I found out that sleeping pills do not have much affect on me. I shared a room and played cards all night!

The second, on my CB750F, was folded forks and I managed to ride back to my shop, but had a hole in the toe of my boot, a skinned knee and a very sore right wrist.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Always need to keep and eye out for deer, especially during the rut, they get plumb stupid. One decided to do suicide by car with me one morning on my way to work, over 12 grand in damage to the car.
On this trip, my friend wanted to see sunset from the North Rim Lodge, which required riding back to Jacob Lake in the dark.
Late afternoon, coming back from Cape Royal, he was in the lead and a large buck crossed the road a few feet in front of him. After returning to Jacob Lake:
Friend (Africa Twin): Did you see the deer on the right side as we came out of the hard right?
Me: No, did you see the herd of buffalo on the left?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I dont think you are legally required to wear a helmet in PA either. I do anyway because I'm not an idiot. Well not about that atleast. I've almost hit deer many many times on my bike but have only hit them in cars. Damn things are everywhere out here.

·
Registered
1989 TW200
15 Posts
Many in Togo will ride without helmets. Passengers are not required by law to wear a helmet - mainly because they are riding on a moto taxi and can't likely afford a helmet. Many moto drivers don't wear helmets, don't buckle the chin strap, or don't have a helmet that fits anywhere near properly. (Never mind that many of them didn't use lights at night because they thought they would wear out the battery, or don't even have working lights.) Our hospital treated so, so many many MVA's involving serious injuries, many head injuries. I have been threatened with bodily injury by just about every doctor and surgeon on our compound if they catch me or any of the teens riding without head protection! They don't want to be working on us!

Deer are ignorant - they don't cross at the deer crossing signs. Total disregard for the law...

·
Registered
23,317 Posts
While in Brazil full face skid lids were required but didn't say how they were to be worn. So on hot days in urban traffic it was common to see the brain buckets perched atop the heads of the Moto-Boys like baseball caps as they lane-split making courier deliveries all day long. Cage drivers learn not to have arms outside rolled down windows.

·
Registered
2008 TW200
20 Posts
I commute 25 miles to work each way on my TW thru mostly farm country, so it's not other drivers I'm worried about - its the deer at 5am. Luckily most of the road the trees are set back a ways so I have more advance notice most of the time.

One of my flight instructors hit one years back on a motorcycle. Guy cant turn his neck past 20 degrees in either direction.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
No helmet required in Florida, but I wear one.

I have ridden 2-3 times here in the city of J'ville on the "back roads" with hardly any traffic just checking bike after valve clearance check, oil change, etc. I do place my hat backwards, like I did back in the 80's riding 3-wheelers as a teenager. Felt good.....and rebellious!! :)

Reactions: Snow Fox

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Damn ditch rats. I loathe them.

Both of my bike crashes have resulted in ruined helmets. My hands have never been hurt, making me suppose that I hit the ground fairly relaxed.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I don't ever want to hit a deer. I hit a mid sized dog and it doubled my shifter under my bike.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts