TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked my new TW from a local dealer Thursday and rode it home. My cycleracks was waiting when I got there. I installed that and a crate. Tightened all the loose bolts on mirrors and everything else on handlebars. It's now dark so I put it to bed. Friday morning I ride to work and there's "white stuff" dripping down right side of covers and exhaust. A rub and sniff reveals battery acid oozeing from compartment. I pull the battery and the water level is to the top of case and there's no vent tube installed. I removed it with an eye dropper and cleaned all affected areas. I now have a section of exhaust stripped of paint: Any Suggestions?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
Bummer. Someone overfilled it and screwed up big time. I'd march right back down there... :mad:

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
And that's just where you can see it easily. Believe me, it's eaten off paint all the way down. I'd be asking for a different bike or a thousand dollar rebate!!!

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Bike assembly at most dealers is an entry level job usually, with little if any supervision. Yup, do what the others have said and go back to the dealer. This will be a real test of the dealer's integrity. Let us know how this turns out.

·
Registered
20,388 Posts
Glad you and dealer are working things out. Pity the next poor shopper who gets offered the showroom model with all the acid dipped parts.
I doubt they are changing the TW's frame & swing arm so any acid spilled there should be well washed and neutralized before much more corrosion occurs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I doubt they are changing the TW's frame & swing arm so any acid spilled there should be well washed and neutralized before much more corrosion occurs.
I washed, rinsed, sprayed and wiped down with WD40. Now will have a 50 mile round trip thru rain storms. Not sure what else I can do, but am open to suggestions

·
Registered
416 Posts
Nice new avatar Fred! That one has four fat "tires" or are those legs...?

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
20,388 Posts
Sounds like Backwater has done everything a proud new owner can do, time to go out and enjoy some riding if the rain ever stops.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Drain tube? Was one installed? It is needed if you are going to use a flooded wet cell. AGM's do not need one as they are sealed.

If you have a volt meter I would check the battery voltage with the engine running at <>2,000 rpm... Just to make sure that the voltage is not over spec. I do not like to see a voltage of over 14 after the bike has been run for 1/2 hr to 1 hr... 14.5 is too high in my opinion and the battery is always going to boil a bit.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
Unless they change the frame and swingarm and who knows what else, they owe you...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They replaced the entire exhaust jug to tail, cleaned battery and compartment (I already had) installed drain tube. The swingarm seems unscathed. The frame has a few specs of discoloration, I'll keep an eye on that.
This is the largest Polaris dealer in the world; and a tremendously busy service dept. The manager met me at the door when I rode up. They already had the other bike in the bay and wheeled mine in immediately and started to work.
I'm satisfied for now, and don't plan on ever returning for service.
This is my 6th motorcycle plus 2 scooters. One of its main selling points for me was its simplicity. I plan on doing all routine servicing myself. 450 miles until I tackle first service.

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
Nice to see they jumped right on it.

A suggestion, don't wait that many miles to change the oil. Do it often during the break in time. Your bike will thank you and give you back many miles of riding.
They replaced the entire exhaust jug to tail, cleaned battery and compartment (I already had) installed drain tube. The swingarm seems unscathed. The frame has a few specs of discoloration, I'll keep an eye on that.
This is the largest Polaris dealer in the world; and a tremendously busy service dept. The manager met me at the door when I rode up. They already had the other bike in the bay and wheeled mine in immediately and started to work.
I'm satisfied for now, and don't plan on ever returning for service.
This is my 6th motorcycle plus 2 scooters. One of its main selling points for me was its simplicity. I plan on doing all routine servicing myself. 450 miles until I tackle first service.

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
It's cheap to do and only costs you a quart. Do it at a 100, then 250, then 500, then a 1000 or anything similar. The idea is do several. You'll be surprised at how much metal shavings, etc you catch early on. You're bike will thank you and you'll get more miles out of it in the long run. ;)

·
Registered
20,388 Posts
Once any filter catches debris that debris is effectively removed from the fluid stream and can cause no further harm. Any particulates finer that makes it through the filter and the developing filter cake can almost be considered a honing compound. Interestingly enough typically a developing filter cake traps more fine particles than a clean filter. Eventually the filter cake pores get clogged and flow rates diminish, then servicing is neccessary for optimal performance.
Properly filtered motor oil suffers more from acid build-up, thermal breakdown and moisture contamination rather than particulate build-up. So flush your oil & clean the filters as often as you like but look at it as more of an inspection rather than protection at only several hundred miles. Those metal shavings trapped by the filters are already out of harms way.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It's cheap to do and only costs you a quart. Do it at a 100, then 250, then 500, then a 1000 or anything similar. The idea is do several. You'll be surprised at how much metal shavings, etc you catch early on. You're bike will thank you and you'll get more miles out of it in the long run. ;)
That's the exact intervals that I used for my tw oil changes when new. Of course I still haven't hit 1000 yet. Really agree with you on that first oil change at 100 miles. My ktm manual wanted the first oil change to be at 1 hour which was at 41 miles on that bike. The Yamaha recommended 600 mile first oil change on the tw seems like way to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts