TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fpalm.gif Hang the jib (to frown or pout)

Today the Mayflower was "becalmed" (lack of wind to sail). Dead men tell not tales (excuse for leaving no survivors) by it's Admiral, and sent to Davy Jones' Locker (Death)!

The Admiral may be fitted with the hempen halter (noose) soon for such treachery!

Until me Mayflower returns to service, the Admiral must strike the colors (surrender) and accept the situation of maroon (stranded without a TW)!:(

On the way to work this morning, the Mayflower started to loose power and slow. I thought I was out of gas and switched the petcock to reserve. No change. Every slowing, I spied a irrigation canal entrance. Upon entry I pulled in the clutch, at which time the engine stopped immediately. Uh oh! Once stop a cloud of smoke surrounded me.

It was too dark to see the exact cause. I called Mrs Admiral to come get me. Upon my return, I saw something no Admiral should have to see...

A bleeding TW

Oil was sprayed on both sides of the TW

Even on the side cover.

The county coroner shows up.

Loaded in the meat wagon and headed to the morgue!

Gulp, and the culprit is a missing oil check screw! I swear I torqued it down when I changed the oil a couple weeks ago, but the evidence suggests otherwise!

I even rode it yesterday with no sign of what was to come.

This one's gonna hurt!

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
O no....Is it fried?

·
Super Moderator
5,319 Posts
Certainly puts the ScottOiler to shame

I guess a compression test is on the menu before trying to re-float her ...........

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Certainly puts the ScottOiler to shame

I guess a compression test is on the menu before trying to re-float her ...........
Ok, even though I'm frustrated (at what I did or didn't do), the ScottOiler mention is funnier than all get out!:p

My guess is no compression test will be needed! It's a matter of how much damage, not if!

In all, the loss of power to shut down was about :30 seconds, but that's too long. I won't be able to start tear down for a couple days, but my hopes are not very high!

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
656 Posts
OUCH!!! And of course Good Luck.

Reactions: mudbug and TWilight

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Bummer bro. That really sucks. I really hate it when anything goes wrong with my bike, it leaves me with less confidence in the bike for those times when I might be way out there somewhere by myself.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
It would just lead to more feet in the air video's and smiling clouds. :p

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bummer bro. That really sucks. I really hate it when anything goes wrong with my bike, it leaves me with less confidence in the bike for those times when I might be way out there somewhere by myself.
I can't blame the TW. Its me wrenching which I've lost confidence in!

Day or two ago I told the wife cell phones weren't all they're cracked up to be and I don't really need one. Guess this was my frustration of seeing everyone playing on the phone in cars, movie theaters, eating dinner, watching TV in the house, talking to me... This morning I called her from my cell phone. I stand corrected!

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well look on the bright side. You now have a reason to install a cam and big bore kit. Remember...You can rebuild her....Better...Stronger....Faster!!
I'm still in shock. Though I'll admit I've been looking already for the 40,000 posts elime has given part numbers for the Wiseco Piston's.

·
Super Moderator
5,319 Posts
Admiral – don’t blame your wrenching skills (because you’re about to get some practice in by the sounds of it).

This is probably one of those times that reminds us just how much we rely on torque wrenches – when we should perhaps trust to our instincts instead. Having said that, checking everything 24hrs later has got a lot going for it – but how many of us actually do that ?

Onwards and upwards ………….

·
Registered
343 Posts
I can't blame the TW. Its me wrenching which I've lost confidence in!
Oh Bolshevik.

Sometimes things just happen. Don't let it shake you. At least it wasn't a catastrophic, multi thousand dollar engine let go that injured you and took out several spectators. (trying to be half full for you.)

In the mean time, while you are reading, and reading, and reading, this may help you in the short term while you are building your new "race" engine. Vroom, vroom!

2004 Yamaha TW200 engine

Has been listed for awhile. He may be willing to cut it loose; cheap.

And you never know. After the swelling goes down, a compression reading...well, maybe it isn't as bad as you think.

(fingers crossed for you.)

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
That 2004 engine is only a couple states away. Might just be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
And TWilight, you know why the Brits like their beer room temp????? Their refrigerators are made by Lucas!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
343 Posts
That 2004 engine is only a couple states away. Might just be the way to go.
An aluminum engine that almost fits into a 13" softball glove will surely be cheaper to send than a 14hp cast iron block Kohler K321 from Wisconsin to Iowa. Yowsers!

This should not even be big enough to require it, but if so, Fastenal does very affordable skid sharing freight.

·
Registered
115 Posts
And TWilight, you know why the Brits like their beer room temp????? Their refrigerators are made by Lucas!!!!! LOL
The only thing that the brits made that didn't suck was the Electrolux vacuum.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts