TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all

Well I'm planning another trip to Death Valley in the Fall and wanted to see what kind of interest there might be. I've been riding bikes off road here for the last 6 or 7 years and covered most of the park,

Currently looking at October 24th-28/29th? or November 1st-5th. Staging out of Pannament Springs resort where I'll have a camp spot.

Don't know the area; there is lots to see and trails for all abilities.

Why am I posting so early, cause I'm trying to decide if this will be a moto trail trip or just off road driving.

I'll be posting some loop options and other peoples videos of the area this weekend.

BTW-I'll be trailering my TW into the park and have a three moto trailer for transport if needed.

thanks

Josh

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I sure wish I lived closer Josh!!

Hummm, if I drove all night . . . . .

Bag

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy all

Well I'm planning another trip to Death Valley in the Fall and wanted to see what kind of interest there might be. I've been riding bikes off road here for the last 6 or 7 years and covered most of the park,

Currently looking at October 24th-28/29th? or November 1st-5th. Staging out of Pannament Springs resort where I'll have a camp spot.

Why am I posting so early, cause I'm trying to decide if this will be a moto trail trip or just off road driving.

I'll be posting some loop options and other peoples videos of the area this weekend.

BTW-I'll be trailering my TW into the park and have a three moto trailer for transport if needed.

thanks

Josh

Hi Josh,

I would like to pencil this into my calender. I'm new to the forum and have never been in Death Valley (sounds inviting). I've had a TW200 about 3 months now and have very little trail/off road experience so I may be a little slow. Getting there from Los Angeles should be no problem and my 4X4 F250 will get what I need to the camp grounds. Haven't been camping in years but my gear should be in good shape.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Updates: so here are some of the loops I've done or would like to do

Great loop, going over hunter mountain, hitting lost burro mine, tea kettle junction, then off to race track to see the moving rocks, before heading down Lippencott Rd- then back to south saline and back to Panamint Springs.

Another great loop, comprising Saline Road-salt flats-Eureka Dunes-Steel Pass-w/a stop at the famous Marble Bath (same one in my avatar)-down to Warm Springs (natural hot springs for a quick dip if inclined) on to Bat road before hitting saline and back to panamint springs. Long day but fun.

Haven't done this one yet in one loop, but have been on most of the trails. Inyo Mine-Lees Camp-Chloride City/Cliffs, on to Titus Canyon for some scenic box canyon riding and out. This ride needs at least two-three riders depending on conditions to portage-stablize or offer encouragement getting up a couple steps before Lees camp.

I'll post the Pappose Flat/Armstrong Canyon loop info in a day or two.

Josh

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
looks like fun. enjoy!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
You know the drill, but I hope to be there.

I really, really wanna do that last loop. But I you're right. We're gunna need some bodies. No sense riding up these solo if you don't gotta. IIRC there are two short but ugly obstacles and the rest pretty much smooth sailing, no?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Howdy all

thanks

Josh

How many people are going?

Ronnydog

·
Registered
115 Posts
Josh, also interested in an update. What dates did you decide? I might be able to do a Fri-Sun thing. I can get there late, after work Thursday. Rode a BMW R100GS all over that place years ago, would love to do it agian. I remember Racetrack and Titus Canyon, great stuff!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm interested in doing a Saturday ride either of those weekends. I've never been to DV so any of the loops look good to me. I'd probably arrive Friday afternoon and leave Sunday morning. The third loop that Lizrdbrth was looking at... about how many miles is that pavement to offroad from Panamint?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Woohoo! There's your portage crew.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dates are for the weekend of October 25-28th, I'm actually leaving the Bay Area on the 24th just not sure if I'll make DV same day or the next. I have a campsite booked at Panamint Springs from Thursday-Sunday (or Monday have to check, it's really inexpensive so I usually an extra day. As a reminder Panamint Springs is on the West side of the park, near lot's of the loops, w/ hot showers and a restuarant/bar if you are too tired to cook, I took advantage of that when I sprained my wrist on a ride 3 or 4 years ago and rode 50 miles off road back to camp. Thank goodness for ace bandages.

Lizdbrth- yeah, that is top of my list of loops since I haven't been able to complete that section. I've been over all the other trails in the park. If you can make it out, we'll def hit that loop.

Ronnydog- so far there are about 5-6 people interested but until the event those always change.

Greenalder- I'll look at my maps and figure out a pavement mileage total, after it gets too hot to work outside or I get tired of weeding.

Josh

·
Registered
118 Posts
So far so good for me that weekend. I was actually wondering what the ratio of pavement to trails was along with total mileage. Thoughts about tire pressure and fuel etc. The Panamint campground looks great. Did you reserve a specific site?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Panamint Springs campground is pretty nice, cheaper and better facilities than the more established campgrounds at Furnace Creek.

I tried to book site #14, but now Panamint Springs says they can't guarntee spots. #14 is one of the bigger tent spots with many trees/cover. All the tent spots are pretty good.

So for the loop through lee's camp, chloride, titus there are a few ways to do it. Leaving from Panamint Springs and returning will be 118 miles of pavement only. Once hitting the trailhead outside of furnance creek total pavement until coming out of titus canyon is less than 10 miles.

If people want to trailer to stovepipe then ride you reduce pavement miles on the bike to 58 total. Obviously you could trailer further in and reduce that more. Once again I'll have a three rail trailer with me.

Offroad miles total for that loop equal 73 approx depending on side trips. Some technical, fire trails, some washes.

Most of the other loops have little pavement and lot's of dirt.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
We're there.

We'll probably pull out teardrop, but we can probably squeeze one more bike in the bed of the truck if we decide to shortcut the pavement. With your trailer that oughta cover 6 bikes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Okay, I'll just have to see how that works with all the ball schedules I have (coaching two teams). I'm a definate maybe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i want to go. its my birthday weekin . i will have to see the wife and i are going to southern ut. for 2 weeks will take xt225 and quads i think they have the best rideing out there

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heading to Carnegie OHV area to test new tank capacity's impact on forks. (really just an excuse to ride in the dirt for a while). If anyone wants to join probably going on Sunday morning before it gets to crowded.

Josh

1 - 20 of 144 Posts