TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the '94 came with the blue Clarke tank on it. I got the original steel one also. From what I read decals on the Clarke tank is iffy. I took the original to a sign shop and am having some made. Can I make them stick-not sure but for the look, it's worth a try. OM

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Some help here http://www.thumperta...-peel-off-tank/

Some folks have coated their tanks with THIS , yes it's approved for plastic tanks. It may help keep fuel vapors from leeching out and bubbling up the decals. You still have to do some good prep work.

Others have hit their tanks with bedliner coating :> for a utilitarian look.

I cleaned part of my tank really well and put a decal on it. It bubbled up after a few weeks just sitting in the garage.

Tank cost to much for me to screw around with it and a torch.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Well the '94 came with the blue Clarke tank on it. I got the original steel one also. From what I read decals on the Clarke tank is iffy. I took the original to a sign shop and am having some made. Can I make them stick-not sure but for the look, it's worth a try. OM

Take a leather punch and punch holes in the decals.

·
Registered
527 Posts
There is no fuel leaching from the clarke tank. If you want to stick something to it, just flame treat it. Remove the lid and petcock then rinse out the tank. Use a hard flame from a mapp or propane torch and move it across the tank ar about one or two feet per second. You are not trying to melt the tank, or heat it up. You are trying to oxidize the surface of the plastic so paint or decals will stick to it. Obviously, the tank will get warm during the process. Let it cool before painting or applying decals. When I flamed mine, I did it in four different directions to be sure of good coverage. It has been several months and crashes and it still looks good. Well, to me at least

1 - 4 of 4 Posts