TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on a very fun/challenging ride today. Went out on Caldor outside of Grizzly Flat. Lots of mud and then deep snow (packable), perfect! Found a "single track" that was little more than a deer/game trail that was soft/rotting pine needles on top of mud up and down hills with some snow -- to much fun! Anyhoo I have decided to leave my Dub with stock sprockets - there were several spots where I was having to feather the throttle at higher rpms in first to power thru some of the soft sinking terrain in steep hills. Higher gearing would have made this worse. I was considering a 14/47.

Decided this bike is the perfect size for me off road. I was concerned that maybe I had purchased to small a bike (bigger is better right?!). Well several times today while going thru deep puddles/mud and snow I started to suddenly go down (yup stock front tire). A couple times I slid about 40 degrees towards eating dirt...but, was able to put a foot down and "right" myself back up (remarkably easily) had this been a 500lb bike I would have gone down - period. While you give up some things with the Dub you gain a bike that will get you out in the woods like no other - I'm sold! Looking forward to lots of exploring, have only scratched the surface :cool:
Old school bike that pulls you thru -

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Yup! Yup!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Smiles per gallon is what matters to me!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Guys! Dump the OEM front and get a a Shinko 241!!! You won't need to put your foot down very often. :p Maybe never!i
+1
I had some controls issues on cobble (riverbed type stone) abundant on Nevada back roads.
More disconcerting was the wandering on rain groves, parallel to direction of travel, on beltway 215 and many overpasses.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys! Dump the OEM front and get a a Shinko 241!!! You won't need to put your foot down very often. :p Maybe never!i
I have been thinking of doing so - it's just hard to take off a tire that's so new! But safety first, although I have had no problems with the stock tire on pavement thus far. It does seem to washout in mud/snow/gravel etc.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mudbugs has the 241 on it and it makes a huge difference. I was like you, Didn't want to take off a perfectly good stock tire but after getting them changed and going for a spin I learned that the perfectly good stock tire isn't so perfectly good. Its not even the same machine handling wise. you just think you enjoy it now, wait till you have a new tire on it

·
Registered
326 Posts
I bought my sig other a TW last year and found myself riding it more than my other ds. Plus it was hard to stay in contact with her because of the differences. I'm now deciding if I need my "other" ds as much as I thought.
The TW's gets taken out weekly and it's easier to go on two TW's than it and something else that isn't as fun.

I only have experience with the SR241 on a bigger ds and it worked very well on and offroad.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not sure what the real world difference is, i went based on what i perceived to be a slight edge in mud clearing based on the design. That sounds way better than i just liked the looks better, right? ;)
Im sure someone will chime in with actual design facts soon enough.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
There really isn't all that much difference in design, but there is in available sizes. The 244 can be had up to 5.10-18, and the 241 only up to 4.00-18. This corresponds closely to the OEM. For me personally, riding in generally rocky conditions off-road, the lighter weight of the 241 and its great performance on the road was the clincher. I tried a friends 244 in 5.10-18 and didn't like it all that much.....it was a bit more work. If I rode mostly in soft dirt and sand and little 60 mph pavement I would probably prefer the 244. Either one is 1,000 % better than the OEM.

Just looking at the tread of the 244 vs the 241, one would think the 244 would grip better in dirt, but that has not been my experience.....I've never had the 241 let go yet. Now if you want extreme dirt performance and never ride on the street, then the Kenda 760 would be ideal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts