TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
About ten years ago, in early fall, I was traveling through the Adirondacks. Spent the night at a mom-and-pop motel...one of those old-style ones from the 1950s. Well landscaped and kept up...three row buildings, set up in a U; with a grassy commons and a U-shaped driveway bordering the commons.

I came out about 7 in the morning...and there was a doe, right by my car. And came UP to me...obviously, someone had been hand-feeding this deer. She was looking for an easy, tasty breakfast.

Now deer have sharp hooves and can use the front hooves to disembowel enemies...especially two-legged threats. So I kept my distance. Frankly, I was more afraid of this deer, being denied her due, than she was of me.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About 5 years ago while we were hunting we came across this blind deer. It was sad but it was able to survive. Guys being guys my step son wanted a picture. He didn't shoot it but later the farmer sent his son over to put it down.

image.jpeg

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I took this picture at Baxter state park in Maine in July 2014. This deer was just chowing on the plants trailside and did not care that we were there. I was maybe 20' away when i took this photo( and a few more) and it went right back to chowing down when we left. I'm not a hunter so i don't get close to deer very often.

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
They give me those doe eyes and it melts my resolve...I'll let them raid the wife's tomato patch and later prune the fruit trees and rose bushes after a heavy snowfall.
I had tasty venison stir fry last night but somebody else pulled the trigger. uploadfromtaptalk1446002384951.jpg

·
Registered
312 Posts
when I was a young guy living alone I was outside taking a pee in the middle of the night (i was working on a bike in the little shop) and as I was standing there in the pitch black and something rams me in the butt:eek: I dang near jumped outta my skin I turned around and there is 2 little bucks standing there just looking at me so I reached out and petted the one that rammed me and to my suprise it was very friendly...they stayed on my property for the summer and would greet me like dogs when I got home from work.

·
Registered
762 Posts
when I was a young guy living alone I was outside taking a pee in the middle of the night (i was working on a bike in the little shop) and as I was standing there in the pitch black and something rams me in the butt:eek: I dang near jumped outta my skin I turned around and there is 2 little bucks standing there just looking at me so I reached out and petted the one that rammed me and to my suprise it was very friendly...they stayed on my property for the summer and would greet me like dogs when I got home from work.
It doesn't seem to take much to get them to lose their fear of humans.

Back in 2007, we had a three-day power outage on Cleveland's West Side. The neighborhood was all suburban, big yards, built up in the 1950s. And nearly al the homeowners were elderly at that point, me being an exception (it was the house I grew up in; I owned it at that point).

But, in the city, we take for granted all the background light at night. Streetlights. Business parking lots and signs. Neighbors with lit houses. The power was OUT and the whole area was just BLACK.

I guess most of the old folks were either coping with candles or had decamped to hotels elsewhere. There was not a creature stirring; even though I had my big inverter set up running off my van.

Nine-thirty at night, it's time to pack it all in. I had three trunk extension cords run to the refrigerator, to a couple of lights, and to my computer. Cellular service, including my broadband card, was all going fine. So I was up long after sunset on the computer.

I go out, shut down the inverter and the van...quiet as a mouse. NO light. And I hear a rustle in the grass. I take my big 6v lantern, swing it around...and there's four deer on my front lawn, just tasting my Kentucky Bluegrass like it was their own.. Didn't take more than two nights of darkness to have them come out of the Metroparks, three miles, down to our little neighborhood.

No reason to disturb their bedtime snack, so I just went back in and to bed.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Up until this last spring I had a Doe who was the matriarch of many of the young deer in my woods and she would eat from my hand. Her fawns would also come close and had little fear of humans and actually wanted to play with my dog who does not chase or bother with the deer.

I also had a very friendly fox who came for hand outs as well and usually at the same time as the deer were here. One day I had carrots for the Doe and hot dogs for the Fox when I went out. The deer came right to me and ate a carrot and I tossed one of the hot dogs down for the Fox. The Doe ate the hot dog and immediately came to me for more and would not touch the carrot but wanted the hot dogs. I mentioned this to a DEC biologist and he told me deer will eat just about anything they think tastes good or has the nutrients they need. You have to watch a deer eat angel hair spaghetti just for laughs some time.

GaryL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts