TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I hunt with both camera and rifle, but I would prefer that pic to the venison .... also not sporting to shoot them so close. ;)

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
The local deer enjoying the thaw right beside my house. It has been a tough winter for them around here, lots of cold and snow. Worse winter in recent history.

View attachment 15196
Looks like two deer are approaching one year old and the one farthest back is nearing two. No shooters in that group. Very nice to see them with some weight to them after the last two winters we have experienced.

Tom

·
Registered
281 Posts
Wrist Rocket. Quit making excuses.
icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Nah, Maybe in my early youth but I would still have felt pretty guilty afterwards. I've actually had it where I was stalking one that I'd seen up ahead (against the wind) and another broke cover in a trail about a yard in front of me, stopped and was looking away from me towards where I had seen the first one. I could have clubbed it with the rifle, perhaps even grabbed it by the horns but instead I stood dead quiet and watched it up close - awesome feeling! It seemed like ages but in reality was probably less than a minute that it sensed me, turned around and looked me straight in the eye, frozen for a half second before it bolted off into the surrounding brush. I never shot anything that day! icon_shh.gif

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Looks like two deer are approaching one year old and the one farthest back is nearing two. No shooters in that group. Very nice to see them with some weight to them after the last two winters we have experienced.

Tom
Were I hunt we aim for the yearling does because they have the most reproduction potential. Deer are way overpopulated and cause a lot of crop damage. Limit here is over 300 antlerless deer a year if you have a kid. https://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/deercalendar.pdf

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Were I hunt we aim for the yearling does because they have the most reproduction potential. Deer are way overpopulated and cause a lot of crop damage. Limit here is over 300 antlerless deer a year if you have a kid. https://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/deercalendar.pdf
I know many places where populations are out of control. Just not where I currently live. The state of NY, in my opinion, has allowed the insurance companies to write the management numbers for far too long. Our herd sizes are well below the carrying capacity of the land and doe permits are still being handed out like candy. All the while there are no restrictions on antlered deer. I am not a trophy hunter by any stretch but too many yearling and button bucks get caught in the crossfire of all the doe permits. Not a good recipe for a well balanced, healthy herd.

Tom

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I always thought these statictics were interesting. Deer Revenge :p

Car and Deer Collisions Cause 200 Deaths, Cost $4 Billion a Year
October 24, 2012

Cars and deer can be a lethal combination. An increase in urban sprawl and more roads being built through wildlife habitats have displaced deer from their natural habitat, leading to a rise in deer-vehicle collisions, according to the Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I)

Deer migration and mating season generally runs from October through December, and causes a dramatic increase in the movement of the deer population. As a result, more deer-vehicle collisions occur in this period than at any other time of year, so drivers need to be especially vigilant.
An estimated 1.23 million deer-vehicle collisions occurred in the U.S. between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012, costing more than $4 billion in vehicle damage, according to State Farm, the nation’s leading auto insurer.

Damage caused by an accident with deer or other animals is covered under the optional comprehensive portion (not the collision portion) of an automobile insurance policy. Comprehensive auto insurance includes coverage for: fire, theft, vandalism or malicious damage, riot, flood, earthquake or explosion, hail, windstorm, falling or flying objects, damage due to contact with a bird or animal and sometimes, depending on the policy, windshield damage.

The average claim for deer-vehicle collisions between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012 was $3,305, up 4.4 percent from the previous year with costs varying depending on the type of vehicle and severity of the damage. Over the last four years, the number of deer-related claims paid out by State Farm increased 7.9 percent, while other claims involving moving vehicles (i.e. first-party, physical damage claims not caused by weather, criminal activity or fire) declined 8.6 percent.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) noted that deer-vehicle collisions in the U.S. cause about 200 fatalities annually.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I always thought these statictics were interesting. Deer Revenge :p

Car and Deer Collisions Cause 200 Deaths, Cost $4 Billion a Year
October 24, 2012

Cars and deer can be a lethal combination. An increase in urban sprawl and more roads being built through wildlife habitats have displaced deer from their natural habitat, leading to a rise in deer-vehicle collisions, according to the Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I)

Deer migration and mating season generally runs from October through December, and causes a dramatic increase in the movement of the deer population. As a result, more deer-vehicle collisions occur in this period than at any other time of year, so drivers need to be especially vigilant.
An estimated 1.23 million deer-vehicle collisions occurred in the U.S. between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012, costing more than $4 billion in vehicle damage, according to State Farm, the nation’s leading auto insurer.

Damage caused by an accident with deer or other animals is covered under the optional comprehensive portion (not the collision portion) of an automobile insurance policy. Comprehensive auto insurance includes coverage for: fire, theft, vandalism or malicious damage, riot, flood, earthquake or explosion, hail, windstorm, falling or flying objects, damage due to contact with a bird or animal and sometimes, depending on the policy, windshield damage.

The average claim for deer-vehicle collisions between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012 was $3,305, up 4.4 percent from the previous year with costs varying depending on the type of vehicle and severity of the damage. Over the last four years, the number of deer-related claims paid out by State Farm increased 7.9 percent, while other claims involving moving vehicles (i.e. first-party, physical damage claims not caused by weather, criminal activity or fire) declined 8.6 percent.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) noted that deer-vehicle collisions in the U.S. cause about 200 fatalities annually.
Clearly State Farm is NOT counting the deer!:rolleyes:

Tom

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
I have been feeding a herd of 15 all winter long here in NY Sullivan County where feeding is legal. No Doe permits here for a few years and the bucks must have at least 3 points on one side. In the 12 mile ride to town I can always count at least 5 fresh road killed deer on any day and my wife has got one with every car she has owned.

I refuse to shoot them in the back yard but they have gotten very smart over the years here. If I go deep in the woods the deer are not there and instead they hang behind the houses and along the roads. Most of the small farms are gone and we don't often see much over a good 10 point buck around here and 150 pounds and over are considered big deer. I have a few that will walk right up to my back door to remind me it is dinner time.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I have been feeding a herd of 15 all winter long here in NY Sullivan County where feeding is legal. No Doe permits here for a few years and the bucks must have at least 3 points on one side. In the 12 mile ride to town I can always count at least 5 fresh road killed deer on any day and my wife has got one with every car she has owned.

I refuse to shoot them in the back yard but they have gotten very smart over the years here. If I go deep in the woods the deer are not there and instead they hang behind the houses and along the roads. Most of the small farms are gone and we don't often see much over a good 10 point buck around here and 150 pounds and over are considered big deer. I have a few that will walk right up to my back door to remind me it is dinner time.

GaryL
I never knew you were a venison grower;)

Tom

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
I just try to grow horns. This is a test to see if I actually did figure out how to post pics from my chromebook.

GaryL
Buck4.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts