TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purely for aesthetic reasons! :D

I was looking at rear end of the TW standing on the lawn outside ....... particularly at the muffler. Here you have this squat bike with a fat tyre that's very easy on the eyes, but the little piss-hole exhaust from the back of the muffler looks pathetically out of place, ....well, to me anyway.

IMG_0504.JPG

While I fully understand that the little Asian guys with the white lab coats and coke-bottle glasses designed it that way with a purpose of better performance (back-pressure and all that), I couldn't help thinking that they could have improved on the appearance. Maybe containing production costs was the reason they didn't.

Anyway, with a bee in the bonnet started looking about my workshop for a suitable diameter pipe to make a tail-pipe. I have something better in mind, but just for testing purposes, I found that a food can fitted fairly well (actually not Del Monte, but a local brand).

IMG_0527.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0529.JPG

Now that better matches the fat tyre IMO, I like it. Funnily enough the sound is also dramatically different .... louder and sounds a lot more like a 'thumper'! (Cup your hand near the outlet and see what a difference it makes to the sound).

The idea I have is to make the tail-piece removable so that it can be quieter in the bush. Of course I'll use something more substantial than a food can! ;)

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
We use to warm up cans of food on our army trucks way back when. Why not a TW exhaust:p

·
Registered
667 Posts
Enjoy the *fruits* of your labor. Del Monte was one of my many nicknames in high school (see also Monte Carlo, Monty Python, Mon Chi Chi, etc...) so I have that trade marked ;)

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Mud Dog, looks like you've created a TW Bazooka! Outstanding macho upgrade! You could probably launch potatoes out of that thing with a good blip go the throttle.
I played with a 1" copper elbow over the exhaust as a prank for a recent group ride. Surprisingly enough it did alter the sound heard by me the rider, more "Brat-brat". It was entertaining until it fell off somewhere along the Colorado River. I may replace it with another properly soldered, braised, riveted or screwed in place. I discovered it also made a great handle for removing the muffler's end cap.
Your tail light and turn signals look so much better than the stock units in my opinion. Another improvement in the bike's fanny I made was a grab bar to help lift the bike when needed. With your penchant for mud you might like one too. Mine I made with two feet of 7/16 bar stock vise bent in a flat "U" shape then driven and pinned in the open ends of the sub-frame so that about 2" extends horizontally beyond/behind end of fender.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not yet cast in stone, but I intend making up something similar to the 'Manrack' you guys get over there .... that'll provide a 'lifting handle', but your idea is good too. Will keep it in mind. icon_thumbup.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts