TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife and i are going to a wedding this weekend in Denver...she is in the wedding so she has a bunch of things to do which leaves me with some time on friday and saturday to kill and a rental car to get around...i'd love to go hiking if i had time and room to bring my gear but hiking alone on unfamiliar terrain at a different altitude with time constraints probably isn't a good idea...anyone have any input on some things to check out near the city while i'm there?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice!...i love mexican food but i'm not sure the people on the plane would appreciate the ride home ;)

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
You probably want to stay around town and it's been 30 years since I was there, but if you haven't been before, you drive up Pike's Peak. I hear it's paved now so that would be easy on the rental car. When I rode to the top is was all gravel past the guard shack. You could also kill some time and drive up to Estes Park. It was a pretty drive and we spent lots of money shopping. Not sure if all those businesses are open as tourist season has slowed.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the suggestions admiral...pikes peak looks pretty cool...it's a little bit of a drive but we will see how much time i have...it looks like they have a downhill skateboard race on saturday up there...i'm not a huge shopper but if they have a lot of outdoorsy shops at estes park i may take the drive...i did find a brewpub close to my hotel so that may be one of my stops for some food especially since i can walk and don't have to drive

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
You could go for a local hike, get some fresh air and work up an appetite for wedding cake. Recounting your hike would make good small talk with locals at the wedding.
best Hiking in Denver, Colorado - EveryTrail
Or take the tour of the Coors plant and embarrass your wife by reeking of beer and pretending you are really drunk.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the link Fred...it looks like some of those hikes aren't too far away and would be manageable without my hiking gear...being that high up i'm sure i will get tired faster and drunk faster :D

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
I imagine you could rent a mountain bike for added thrills, see more trail mileage and maybe come back with some bugs in your teeth. Mile High Denver's elevation should not be too difficult to adapt to in a short amount of time.The Best 10 Bike Rentals in Denver, CO - Yelp

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
You probably want to stay around town and it's been 30 years since I was there, but if you haven't been before, you drive up Pike's Peak. I hear it's paved now so that would be easy on the rental car. When I rode to the top is was all gravel past the guard shack. You could also kill some time and drive up to Estes Park. It was a pretty drive and we spent lots of money shopping. Not sure if all those businesses are open as tourist season has slowed.
Pikes peak is over 100 miles away, i'm pretty sure. Mt. Evans is less than half that and has the highest paved road in North America, apparently.

There are many museums- take your pick.Also Colorado seems to be the good beer capital of america as far as I can tell, and there are many many breweries/brew pubs in town (seriously, about 100 of them), so don't waste your time at the Coor's water factory.

Lakeside amusement park is always a fun/maybe dangerous time. While theres technically a bigger/better/your-not-worried-that-maybe-it-hasnt-been-maintained-since-the-eighties amusement park downtown, it doesn't have the same awesomeness lakeside has, and hasn't been around since Roosevelt was president either [Teddy, not FDR].

But if you really want to be one of the cool kids [and provide anyone who sees you with a laugh]... segway tours

Segway Tours Denver & Boulder Colorado

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I imagine you could rent a mountain bike for added thrills, see more trail mileage and maybe come back with some bugs in your teeth. Mile High Denver's elevation should not be too difficult to adapt to in a short amount of time.The Best 10 Bike Rentals in Denver, CO - Yelp
thanks Fred...that sounds like a good option as well

Pikes peak is over 100 miles away, i'm pretty sure. Mt. Evans is less than half that and has the highest paved road in North America, apparently.

There are many museums- take your pick.Also Colorado seems to be the good beer capital of america as far as I can tell, and there are many many breweries/brew pubs in town (seriously, about 100 of them), so don't waste your time at the Coor's water factory.

Lakeside amusement park is always a fun/maybe dangerous time. While theres technically a bigger/better/your-not-worried-that-maybe-it-hasnt-been-maintained-since-the-eighties amusement park downtown, it doesn't have the same awesomeness lakeside has, and hasn't been around since Roosevelt was president either [Teddy, not FDR].

But if you really want to be one of the cool kids [and provide anyone who sees you with a laugh]... segway tours

Segway Tours Denver & Boulder Colorado
thanks for all the ideas methamphetasaur...the breweries def sound like fun...i'm sure they have beer tours too...too bad they don't have segway brewery tours...that could be interesting lol...i def wouldn't mind checking out the mountains but i'm not sure about doing it in a rental car that i know nothing about how well it has been maintained (i.e. lose brakes on downhill)...the museums sound cool but i'm leaning towards enjoying the weather as much as i can...the amusement parks sound fun also but i'd have to check the prices cause i don't want to spend too much money

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Maybe just get the insurance for the rental car and flog the daylights out of it, might combine the thrills of a mountain bike and an amusement park all rolled into one...just don't roll it off a mountain.
Or rent something underpowered so it will be wheezing as much as anyone else from sea level and you can feel like you are racing everyone else all the time.

I borrowed a friend's antiquated flat-bed Volkswagen bus ( called a "Combi" there) to move another friend one rainy night in down-town Sao Paulo. What an adventure....windshield wipers would not turn off, whole ignition switch came out of dash with key, Combi barely fit in apartment basement garages, passenger door held closed by a frayed rope and rain caused intermittent ignition miss...yes definitely another air-cooled adventure.:)
Hope you will have fun in Denver irregardless, should not be too hard.

·
Super Moderator
17,937 Posts
It's Colorado, buy a bag of weed, forget the rental car, hole up in the Motel with pizza and movies. :Dhe he snicker snicker....

·
Registered
343 Posts
Fred's suggestions had me thinking. Then his last post spurred something else.

Your time out there is going to be short, but Estes IS truly a very pretty place. But like all tourist traps, the shops and whatnot wind down after Labor Day. The ones that do straggle on for a few days a lot of times have some deep discounts to move merchandise before next season / styles.

For me, Colorado is about one thing: The Rockies.

So, start getting ready. Run out after work and get yourself a copy of the book. Much more detail than the movie (although, I liked that too). And start getting yourself psyched up / spooked out.

Although the "Overlook" is actually the Timberline Lodge in Oregon,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timberline_Lodge

it's location in the story is actually in Estes. I believe the The Stanley

Colorado Hotel | Estes Park Hotel & Lodging | The Stanley Hotel

Do the drive and recreate the opening. You will see the mountains and have a little head game all at the same time.

Estes is beautiful. - Need any company? ;)

Don't talk to Lloyd. :smilet-digitalpoint

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Maybe Jeff has the best idea:
A thrilling scenic drive before, or a romantic cruise after reception might be really nice and dramatic. Denver area has more mountains than Massachusetts and driving in them would make for good memories.
Scenic Drives near Denver, Colorado -...

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
thanks Fred...that sounds like a good option as well

thanks for all the ideas methamphetasaur...the breweries def sound like fun...i'm sure they have beer tours too...too bad they don't have segway brewery tours...that could be interesting lol...i def wouldn't mind checking out the mountains but i'm not sure about doing it in a rental car that i know nothing about how well it has been maintained (i.e. lose brakes on downhill)...the museums sound cool but i'm leaning towards enjoying the weather as much as i can...the amusement parks sound fun also but i'd have to check the prices cause i don't want to spend too much money
Lakeside isn't expensive [like less than $20 for parking and a bracelet thing], as for driving up Mt. evans, I wouldn't be worried about the car. Yes it goes to 14000+ feet, but the road starts at like 9000 feet and isn't really that steep. And if there's anything i've learned while living in Colorado, it's that no matter where you go you'll always be stuck behind a subaru travelling at the speed of smell, so you probably won't get going fast enough to roll off the mountain anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you've never been on top of a "14er", take 1/2 a day and follow previous advice for a drive up Mt Evans. For Pikes Peak you'd need the better part of a day for the drive to Colorado Springs and up Pikes Peak. Both are well worth the trip! Closer in, Red Rocks is fun and great views or a short hike at Roxborough Park and theres some great breweries in LODO.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks again for all the suggestions...i really didn't end up having time to do too much...United sucked!!!...first flight was an hour late, had to run to catch the second flight, our bag didn't make it (only checked 1 bag that had everything in it), had to pick up the bag the following day (cause it would have taken an extra 2 hours for them to deliver it)...so my wife missed the wedding shower due to that so we only had time to go to the rehearsal then we went to a bar for the rehearsal dinner...dropped off my wife on saturday and told the bride i would pick them up some cups and ping pong balls for beiruit so i did that and ended up as bass pro shops and super target to just burn a little time before i had to get ready for the wedding and then we flew back sunday...i def hope to be able to get out there again sometime and experience the area a little more

1 - 20 of 20 Posts