TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here's the finished project except for my 7" Cafe style headlight and my tail light waiting to come in the mail! Here's a before and after of my 99 model with only 2500 miles on it! Now to have fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
How did you get the paint to adhere to that tank?

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
I like it so far, will be nice to see it completed.
Anything special to prolong paint adhesion and durability on the forks, skid plate and swing arm? They look fantastic but are in areas a Desert Donkey receives punishment out on the trail.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
976 Posts
How did you get the paint to adhere to that tank?
I ordered it in that color. It took a few weeks extra for the special order, there was no extra charge!
Seriously? You can do that?

I have never heard of anyone doing that before, but what a fantastic service. The results look great in your pics, did you get nice even color all over?

Did you match the rest of the paint to the tank, or did you request the tank to match a paint you had already picked out?

Great looking bike, man.

Reactions: TW-Brian

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is surprising that Clarke would do a one-off special order for no extra charge. Good to know though.

Did you give them a color for them to match?
NO, it's regularly offered through Clarke's web site, most of the distributors only carry three or four colors of fuel tanks. They special order other colors Clarke makes. It is not a one time special order. I LUCKED out on the paint match, I had already started painting the frame before I got my tank!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I WAS going to have the seat recovered in black, BUT, black is VERY HOT out here in the desert! So I went with the off colored light brown. Should keep my ARSE a bit cooler! Ha!

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Great job so far, most impressive. Curious as to final rear fender/tail light/ license plate treatments. There are some interesting round tail lights that might compliment the cafe headlight look. Patiently awaiting next round of improvements...

·
Registered
13,785 Posts
On my first TW, I went with a similar color scheme as yours. I used a rattle can camo paint and while it looks ok, it's not smooth up close and it scratches fairly easy. The good part was I could just grab the can and touch it up.

I wish I would have know about the type paint you used. The only option I thought there was for something durable was powder coating. I kept my seat black to match the black fender, but I like the color of your seat much better. I also like how your exhaust shield contrast with a different color than the exhaust and that you took the time to paint the lower front forks. I wish I had taken the time to do that. That's a white exhaust wrap isn't it? Have you used that before and does it darken up when it get hot from use? Being able to special order the gas tank color is something for me to look into. I assumed there weren't any other choices other than what I've seen folks get on the forum here. If I can special order with one of the larger XT tanks I may re-visit the idea of spending the money on one of these tanks for my new TW.

Thanks a bunch for posting pictures of your TW paint & mod. Gives us some more options should we stray away from the stock look.:icon_thumright:

Reactions: jeepster09

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Exhaust Wrap

I purchased the exhaust wrap from Procycle, it's a natural, burlap/khaki color helps protect your leg from burns if it lays on you. It was around $40 I believe.

·
Registered
329 Posts
On my first TW, I went with a similar color scheme as yours. I used a rattle can camo paint and while it looks ok, it's not smooth up close and it scratches fairly easy. The good part was I could just grab the can and touch it up.

I wish I would have know about the type paint you used. The only option I thought there was for something durable was powder coating. I kept my seat black to match the black fender, but I like the color of your seat much better. I also like how your exhaust shield contrast with a different color than the exhaust and that you took the time to paint the lower front forks. I wish I had taken the time to do that. That's a white exhaust wrap isn't it? Have you used that before and does it darken up when it get hot from use? Being able to special order the gas tank color is something for me to look into. I assumed there weren't any other choices other than what I've seen folks get on the forum here. If I can special order with one of the larger XT tanks I may re-visit the idea of spending the money on one of these tanks for my new TW.

Thanks a bunch for posting pictures of your TW paint & mod. Gives us some more options should we stray away from the stock look.:icon_thumright:

My dogs said they like your dog..

crestock-german-shepherd-805152-xsmall.jpg IMG_20140517_130241_145.jpg

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Great progress. Love the colours! I'm taking a similar approach with round lights, racks, custom colours and getting rid of the rear cowl.

Can you post a pic of the rear as is? I replaced my taillight and fender with a custom I made up and I'm trying to come up with a solution for replacing the rear cowl. I'll be keeping my subframe but seeing where the seat ends would really helpful. Looking forward to seeing your solution there as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts