TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First photo: Alamo road to the left, Mormon Well Road and Gass Peak Road to the right
Tire Plant Wheel Plant community Vehicle

Corn Creek Springs from Alamo Road looking west towards Mummy Mountain
Tire Plant Cloud Sky Wheel

Relief map of the refuge in the visitor center.

Wood Pattern Geology Fur Natural material

The stream that flows from Corn Creek Spring
Plant community Plant Natural landscape Wood Bedrock

Tuesday's cataract surgery went well.
Not only does the right eye, now with an artificial lens, provide clearer vision at distance, but the sky is bluer looking through it.

· Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going up Alamo road to Joe May Canyon, I could feel my eyes "bounce", so I did not go far. It is a rocky road and although I have the tires aired down to 18F and 22R, the minimum recommended by Yamaha for the XT250; it now appears that I will need to limit my off-road riding. Perhaps 59 years of riding have caught up with me. I would not want to repeat whatever caused the retina detachment and the scarring thereafter.

BTW, affect on the eyes did not seem to be different whether 15 or 35 MPH.

I was intending to ask my Africa Twin friend to join me for a ride off of Cold Creek Road to Muddy Springs, but it is also a very rocky road. I do miss the riding around Randsburg, Johannesburg, Red Mountain and Cuddeback Dry Lake in SoCal.

Still no regrets trading the Yamaha XVS 950 for the XT250, as my long distance riding was coming to an end.

Photo below of Muddy Flats Road, which changes to a narrow trail near the end on 2018 XT250
Sky Plant Tire Mountain Plant community

Whether parked in the garage or used mainly for local errands a motorcycle in the garage is a major freedom factor in my life.

· Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shot at?
The only time I'm aware of being shot at was by a surface to air missile while flying over Vietnam. That was worth $65 per month hostile fire pay plus an income tax exemption for the month.

Glad the family toured Yellowstone and the Tetons last year!

· Registered
248 Posts
Glad they missed! Just wasnt your time to learn how to parachute and survive in the jungle with a jack knife. What did you fly there, an F4, 102? Just curious. But getting back to the inevitable Yellowstone eruption thats going to wipe out the entire west coast all the way from California to Ohio, glad you got to see the place before it happens. And its a good thing you know how to fly because when it does happen you'll be flying again. Just remember, "A good approach makes a good landing,:)

I hope you know I'm only kidding.:) I didn't give it much thought until I joined this forum and saw all the pics and videos. You guys have it WAY better than we do here in the Northeast. Everything is super restricted here on where you can ride off road. The riding parks are ok with more enduro style trails but theres only a couple in the whole state.The good news tho is that theres miles upon miles of wilderness winding dirt roads and logging roads. Thing is, they're really nice dirt roads and thats not really a lot of fun sometimes.

· Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 405th Fighter Wing had F4, F102 & B57, But I was in a slow moving C54 courier plane from Clark to Danang to Udorn when pilot reported a SAM. If the white vertical contrail I saw was a SAM, it missed by a mile.
Automotive parking light Sky Vehicle Tire Hood

· Registered
248 Posts
The 405th Fighter Wing had F4, F102 & B57, But I was in a slow moving C54 courier plane from Clark to Danang to Udorn when pilot reported a SAM. If the white vertical contrail I saw was a SAM, it missed by a mile.
View attachment 231858
Luckily it was back then. They wouldn't have missed these days. OMG! Over the wing fueling! And love the "Welcome to Da Nang" Banner LoL! Please enjoy your stay.

· Registered
2019 TW 1987 TW 2001 XR250
333 Posts
First photo: Alamo road to the left, Mormon Well Road and Gass Peak Road to the right View attachment 231818

Corn Creek Springs from Alamo Road looking west towards Mummy Mountain View attachment 231819

Relief map of the refuge in the visitor center.

View attachment 231820

The stream that flows from Corn Creek Spring
View attachment 231821

Tuesday's cataract surgery went well.
Not only does the right eye, now with an artificial lens, provide clearer vision at distance, but the sky is bluer looking through it.
Thats no TW.

· Premium Member
286 Posts
[Edit] My erroneous comment removed.

Reactions: Snow Fox

· Registered
474 Posts
Beautiful....the land battles have been settled ....now the battles will be over Wildlife.....predators and livestock....fish and dams.... I contribute to an organization called y2y that is attempting to acquire habitat or easements for a wildlife biological travel way from Yellowstone to the Yukon ....actually from the Intermountain West to Alaska but y2y is a catchy title.....

When I had my cataracts removed the surgeon actually told me that riding a motorcycle was verboden.....

· Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Logger74: First cousin to TW

Snapper33: This is the Trail, Off-Road and Advengture section.It is almsot midnight in Wales, so we may have to wait for Purple to comment, although Admiral is in this time zone.

Bartruff: Doc said I could ride the next day, but eye was still dilated, so I wanted another day. Today after left eye surgery, I am seeing througha blue haze, which should clear tomorrow.

Reactions: Snow Fox and Ken

· Premium Member
286 Posts
Snapper33: This is the Trail, Off-Road and Advengture section.It is almsot midnight in Wales, so we may have to wait for Purple to comment, although Admiral is in this time zone.

[Edit] My mistake.

Reactions: Snow Fox

· Registered
22 BMW G310GS, 2018 Van Van,
947 Posts
Sportster D your riding is far from over! All about downsizing and appropriate venue.
i got here a few years ago with a malignant brain tumor. Stay under 400lbs and comfortable position. Pick where you ride and go slow. There are even downsizes from the marvy XT 250.
Really helps if you can find a riding buddy.

· Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
arbolmano, appreciate the thoughts but I have learned from commuting to our Arizona ranch, 8 miles from from a paved road, on a rocky rough road, a little bit of speed allows the suspension to work, so slow may not actually be smoother.

From post 3: "BTW, affect on the eyes did not seem to be different whether 15 or 35 MPH"

· Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yesterday, went to Corn Creek Springs (44 mile round trip from home), within the Desert National Wildlife Refuge, and saw this bobcat directly behind the visitor center. Ranger said it is people acclimated. I got within about 30 ft of it, at which time it crouched down facing me. Appeared to be hunting gophers in the meadow.
Dog Fence Plant Carnivore Grass

1 - 17 of 17 Posts