TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With everything I own there are plusses and negatives. I love this ride, but I spent over three hours doing a valve adjustment a couple nights ago and I'm not quite happy with it so I'm gonna pull it back apart and do it again without the timing belts this time. Since there are no valve springs you can check your adjustments by turning over the cam with your hands. I really do appreciate this system and love how it works/sounds, but it can be a pain in the ass! I also decided that its gonna get new belts while I'm there.

Untitled by dolphaxel, on Flickr
IMG_1708 by dolphaxel, on Flickr

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm sure the bike it self is just as fun to ride....but personally, as someone who's not super rich I say screw the crappy italian engines....gimme a silky smooth Japanese inline 4 (or twin)

67,000 miles on my CB919; checked for the first time at 67k with no adjustment. Perfect clearance. Though the book calls for it every 16k. I bet the damn thing will do 250,000 miles before I worry about valves. All I do is change the damn oil and it keeps going....just as the legend says!

Of course I never shift above 6k (too much low end power) and the bike is cruising a relaxed 3500 on the highway which is almost as slow as a car engine....so yeah the valves probably should be good forever with no engine racing.

:p

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
Back in the day there was a kid in the neighbourhood who had a Ducati 250 single - bright yellow cafe racer

There wasn't one of us who wouldn't have given his eye teeth for that bike, and lived with all the other problems it came with - just because of the "Desmodronic" valve system ......

·
Registered
636 Posts
Of course I never shift above 6k (too much low end power)
:p
That is a shame. Like having a Ferrari and using it to go shopping.
I know that the 919 iteration was tuned for low end torque, but still, the angry scream of an inline 4 sport bike near redline will always make my heart race.

·
Registered
807 Posts
And that why it can only rev to like 6000 RPM and makes less than 70hp.
And 40 foot pounds of torque at idle :) And a 100 horse sporty is pretty easy to do actually. Ahhhhhh..........I just love the Harley hate on this forum :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a 750 Super Sport. Nice bike and the exhaust note was awesome, stellar chassis, but the power was dismal by modern standards.... about 70 Horse. I traded it in on a R6. The extra 30 some horsepower was just what I needed. However I still miss that sound.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
And 40 foot pounds of torque at idle :) And a 100 horse sporty is pretty easy to do actually. Ahhhhhh..........I just love the Harley hate on this forum :)
TWROG YOUR 48 ROCKS. If I were to ever buy a sportster I would build it exactly like yours. The pipes are off the charts. Great job on that bike!!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
yeah, lets get my buell at a stoplight against the haters.
bullshit stops when the flag drops.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
easy folks. life's too short for all that hating. I dont think this bike is the best ever, most economical, fastest, maintenance free, or anything else for that matter. What really counts in regards to any bike is that the rider enjoys it. I've spent some time and money keeping this thing rolling over the years, but in the end probably not folds more than any other bike I have had. They all take love to keep them on the road. To answer some of the above questions and comments..... The manual for the earlier year ducatis calls for belt change every other valve adjustment or 2 years. which ever comes first. I did them last clearance check, but that was 2.5 years ago. Also Ive had several japanese bikes and do appreciate how they are built as well, but I don't think they are "better" rather offer a different experience. Although Harleys are not for me there is no reason I don't give them credit for what they are and enjoy seeing them being ridden as much as anything else. Bottom line here for me is that this bike is fun and working on it is part of that. I enjoy turning wrenches regardless of what its on. Carry on folks.....

·
Registered
357 Posts
easy folks. life's too short for all that hating. I dont think this bike is the best ever, most economical, fastest, maintenance free, or anything else for that matter. What really counts in regards to any bike is that the rider enjoys it. I've spent some time and money keeping this thing rolling over the years, but in the end probably not folds more than any other bike I have had. They all take love to keep them on the road. To answer some of the above questions and comments..... The manual for the earlier year ducatis calls for belt change every other valve adjustment or 2 years. which ever comes first. I did them last clearance check, but that was 2.5 years ago. Also Ive had several japanese bikes and do appreciate how they are built as well, but I don't think they are "better" rather offer a different experience. Although Harleys are not for me there is no reason I don't give them credit for what they are and enjoy seeing them being ridden as much as anything else. Bottom line here for me is that this bike is fun and working on it is part of that. I enjoy turning wrenches regardless of what its on. Carry on folks.....
well said VG.
lets face it, the TW forum is a pretty funny place to talk about peak performance, when you think about it.
we're here because we like our grown up minibikes, and they make us smile like kids.

K

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
"easy folks. life's too short for all that hating" (vanillagorilla1). LOL I was going to say, don't listen to all the haters ;D . It's a sweet looking ride! That being said, I would probably be somewhat more inclined to go after the Japanese bikes myself. But like you said, I can definitely appreciate the unique characteristics of both Japanese and Italian motorcycles!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I don't hate Harley's, just not a fan of the superiority complex that seems to come with them....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts