TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....new member here. A riding buddy convinced me I need a T-dub to play with at his cabin. After tooling around on his, I agree! I bought one on the local state auction site-an impounded bike formerly owned by a meth head who was fleeing the police. On one hand, it doesn't even have 4500 miles (1993), but on the other it needs some love in a bad way. The tank is gone (apparently lost in the chase). The plastics are gone or painted with bed liner or something. The wire harness is hacked up for half-ass LEDs. The air box is missing. No seat. The muffler tip looks like it was chewed off by rats. The bike was more duct and electrical tape than anything else! Still, I think at its heart it is still a T-Dub and is indestructible!

I figured I'd start a thread on the topic of bringing this poor machine back to life. And, of course, to troll for ideas on how to achieve that goal without breaking the bank. It is meant to be a "fun" bike. I'm 6'6" so I don't think anything I can do will REALLY make it fit me, but I plan on doing a few things to move it in the right direction.

What you see in the pic is what i have, the rest I will be shopping for. My next stop will be a trip to the classified for a lengthy "WTB" post!

IMG_4421.jpg

·
Registered
699 Posts
So....new member here. A riding buddy convinced me I need a T-dub to play with at his cabin. After tooling around on his, I agree! I bought one on the local state auction site-an impounded bike formerly owned by a meth head who was fleeing the police. On one hand, it doesn't even have 4500 miles (1993), but on the other it needs some love in a bad way. The tank is gone (apparently lost in the chase). The plastics are gone or painted with bed liner or something. The wire harness is hacked up for half-ass LEDs. The air box is missing. No seat. The muffler tip looks like it was chewed off by rats. The bike was more duct and electrical tape than anything else! Still, I think at its heart it is still a T-Dub and is indestructible!

I figured I'd start a thread on the topic of bringing this poor machine back to life. And, of course, to troll for ideas on how to achieve that goal without breaking the bank. It is meant to be a "fun" bike. I'm 6'6" so I don't think anything I can do will REALLY make it fit me, but I plan on doing a few things to move it in the right direction.

What you see in the pic is what i have, the rest I will be shopping for. My next stop will be a trip to the classified for a lengthy "WTB" post!

View attachment 189416
Welcome to the forum. If it were me, I would strip that thing bare and start the rebuild fresh. I'd even be looking for a donor/parts bike perhaps. Either way you chose, it's doable and parts are available. Definitely some work ahead of you and could be a great experience. Again, welcome. You came to the right place.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Hey 2Big,

Looks like it could use a few zip ties and be ready to ride :eek:;):D!

Let us know what you need in terms of info and parts, and we'll help you get that former "Rainbow Warrior" back on the road/trail. Also tell us where you are located, there may be one of us nearby that can help you out.

Brian

·
Registered
19,221 Posts
That thing does look like it deserves a detox cleanse with lots of anti-oxidants and Seafoam.
Bigger footpegs, bar risers and ATV bars can help a bit with the ergonomics for a 6'6" pilot.
Downloading an online service manual and asking questions here can help de-mystify and repair whatever the crack head did.
Welcome and good luck.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
One good source for discounted (new) OE parts is https://www.partzilla.com/
A great source for (new) aftermarket parts & accessories is https://procycle.us/bikepages/tw200.html
Lotsa used stuff on eBay.

Dig around in this site...everything knowable on TeeDubs and how-to-do-it from knowledgeable dudes is right here. Also modifications.
But you often have to dig like hell for it. Search-ability is not really our strong suit, but you are definitely in the right place!
Something very helpful:
If you find a thread you like and want to explore deeper, look at the very bottom of the last page of the thread for links to similar discussions.
All this will help you determine how much time, work & money will be required. My guess is both will be considerable...

Don't be afraid of asking what may be a "dumb question". Despite there really being no such thing, there are a few here that will purposely give you a "dumb answer"...for whatever reason. But you will find 98% are totally straight shooters and can help a lot.

Get a Service Manual covering your year model. You can find them on-line for free but I like paper manuals better for several reasons/ Amazon is a good source for new & used.

Welcome to the Forum...and good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the encouragement! Yeah, I've paused a couple times to ponder what I've gotten myself in to, but it is -10 out so might as well sink my teeth into a project. Also, thank you for the references for manuals / parts. Some of the obvious stuff I'll be shopping for:

Full plastics
Tank (might be able to buy one from Greendub in the classifieds)
Seat (Sounds like pans are hard to come by, might just have to go new, thanks PlacerLode)
Speedo mounting plate
Air box
tail light assembly (i've seen some pics of builds here with some nice aftermarket options-open to suggestions!)
Possibly a wire harness
lights-probably cheap aftermarket LEDs
fresh tires

Also I'll be needs lots of nuts, bolts, and odd bits to hold everything together which don't necessarily come with when you buy parts off the bay.

And that's just for starters. Who knows what else i will find. I honestly didn't know the air box was missing until i peeled off 10 layers of tape. My only consolation is that the thing was running right up until the tank fell off any they caught up to him. HA!

·
Registered
19,221 Posts
Maybe someone who has done the bobber conversion can provide many of the missing plastics. Some of that stuff a la cart on e-bay can get pricey, totaling as much as some complete parts bikes.
Good luck, bike will have an interesting back story to tell once completed and back on the road once again evading the police.;)

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I could have put that mess pretty much back together when I first started selling off my parts. Only have a few things left now but tell us if you are just looking to get it re dressed or are you trying to make it a real looker? Placerload bought the 95 tank from me along with the complete speedo set on the bracket.
I have a brand new rear taillight holder bracket with the new tail light and the plate holder and reflector. I have a black rear fender cowl that has a little wear but not broke or cracked anywhere and I have a nice white rear fender cowl and new white headlight cowl. I have both plastic side covers, one is painted black and the other is black but both are good. I hope you got it real cheap but I do see lots of life left in it after you toss some $$ in it.

GaryL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Gary-I sent you a PM as well.

This bike's primary duty will be to carry me around the woods, so it doesn't need to be perfect. "Nice" would be nice, but chasing perfect I think is out of my price range.

Real cheap? No....I'm quickly realizing not. $620 and an hour drive to pick it up. Apparently you have to be careful buying things at action with only a couple dark pics to go by. Who-da Thunk?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a quick update on the meth-mobile. I got it running, so that is encouraging! Thanks to some parts from forum members and a carb kit from Moose Racing she roared to life.

Of course it wasn't THAT easy....I first bought a carb kit from SHINDY (made in japan, supposedly) but was very disappointing. The main jet was wrong, as in it wouldn't even thread into the nozzle/tube. Also, the O-ring supplied for the pilot screw was so undersized it was smaller than the flange and wouldn't have sealed anything. Those were obviously wrong, so i wasn't going to take any chances on the rest of it so I just sent it all back. The Moose kit seemed fine, and had some silicone caps over the float/seat and pilot screw for protection which to me shows they care at least a little!

One mystery with both carb kits was an "extra" small spring that was included. Smaller than the pilot screw spring...but different than the needle spring. Not sure what that was for...I'll try to grab a pic and see if anyone recognizes it.

I wish I could say that with some fresh gas, verified spark and the cleaned/rebuilt carb it started right up, but it took quite a bit of cranking. Finally fired (on a kick) and LIMPED along on full choke, and i mean barely. Any throttle and it died. The bike was warm (had been sitting in the basement), but the air was not. After a minute or two of lugging it suddenly died on its own, then fired up and ran really nice with the choke off. Happened really quick, makes me wonder if a passageway still had some gunk in it.

Now that I know I'm not totally throwing money away I'll spend a little more and get this thing put back together. It has been slow progress, but we're supposed to get another 8" of snow this weekend so no reason to rush!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Was the small spring a replacement for the one on top of the needle in the diaphragm? I am not that familiar with the older carb but the new one has a small spring up there. That one is easy to miss and lose.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DDA124DA-0ADE-4FB3-973A-461E679E0860.jpeg

That seems like it would be about the right rise. In the pic, it is the spring on the top. I tossed some other components in the pic for scale/reference.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
View attachment 190444

That seems like it would be about the right rise. In the pic, it is the spring on the top. I tossed some other components in the pic for scale/reference.
Yes, I believe that spring goes where I pointed it out in number 3. I still don't have the slightest clue as to what purpose it serves but I do know all the old style carbs I rebuilt had such a spring inside the rectangular connector. I did have one carb that was missing that spring and it seemed to run fine without it. Probably just an anti vibration function is my suspicion.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts