TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2017. This is our forth year hiking up on the mountain here in West Virginia. We had a blast today and everyone is tucked in there tents and sleeping bags. I'm sitting around the campfire listening to Classic Country Music and now posting. Kinda nice being in the mountains with signal.
Here's some pics of the day.

Victoria joined us this year for the first time. She's really enjoying the winter camping.

IMG_6858.JPG

Pretending to push a rock off the nose

IMG_6881.JPG

Crossing Sleepy Creek bridge on our way to Devils Nose

IMG_6860.JPG

Out on the edge with at least a 300' drop

IMG_6874.JPG

Headed to the campsite. Both my sons, and two friends. It's fairly warm tonight 27*. We have had trips in the single digits.

IMG_6889.JPG

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm back home safe and sound...and sore. I need to get my fat a$$ out more and exercise before I climb all over the mountains. We had a Grand time :). We are going to do this every year now so if anyone want to join us let me know.
It's on my "bucket list" to ride and camp on our beloved TWs unfortunately the area we camp in doesn't allow motor vehicles. Do any of you guys on the East Coast camp on TWs?

More pics of our camp out.

Breakfast: I love cooking meals in my old steel skillets. Lite Spam, tomatoes, jalapeño's, tortillas and mayo. The guys love these things.

IMG_6927.JPG

My sons brought there dogs

IMG_6926.JPG

IMG_6972.JPG

The group

IMG_6978.JPG

IMG_6974.JPG

·
Registered
13,637 Posts
Awesome TopPreditor! Love the woods!

Other than hunting camp and the forced winter camps one of my previous employers used to make me participate in, I haven't done any winter camping just for the enjoyment. Well, me and Mrs. Admiral did/do go camping in March around here (weather dependent) but not in a tent!

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Most people think we're crazy camping in the winter, and they also think we freeze our...you know whats off. I think our wife's want us to come back with stories of horror but we just come back home with big smiles. The drive gets us back in the woods a bit then we hike in one and a half miles to the camp site. The hike out to Devils Nose is another mile but we do that without the 50 lbs packs.
Those guys hit the Early Times pretty hard. Lol. While I played DJ with Pandora through Marians Bose Bluetooth speaker. I kept the party rocking. p.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good outing. How was the weather Rick? Saw some reflected blue sky and sunshine in your pics and no buttoned up rain gear.
The weather was the warmest it's been in the last four years with clear sky's. I think the daytime temperature was around 36. I checked my REI thermometer around midnight, it was 27. We go for the cold and hopefully snow but no snow this year.
I should have taken a picture of our wood pile before and after, we burned up some wood. :)

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I searched my old threads and found this one of the first year where we hiked 7 miles in single digit temps. I couldn't wait to go back.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topic/12377-how-build-basic-shelter.html

I can't seem to find the thread two years ago where Borneo camped with us. He knows his winter camping and I learned a few winter camping skills.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
5th annual winter hike February 2, 3 and maybe the 4th. We hike in a couple miles, build a big ass fire, setup camp and enjoy the outdoors. You In???

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well we abandoned the idea of riding the Four Wheelers and my TW camping due to a snow storm warning. Forecast called for 4 to 6 inches so we hiked in and boy was it an amazing night. We hiked in around 10 am and setup camp. I built my shelter with a 2mil plastic drop cloth which held up well but I did scrap the heavy snow off it a few times. We gathered plenty of firewood and kept warm while the snow fell. PRICELESS The wet snow started around 3pm and stopped at 9:30 pm with an accumulation of 4 inched. Those of you who enjoy braving the elements should join us next year.

58802CE7-9A34-4EC0-B539-B260BA8C5CC3.jpeg

The was it’s build you have a full enclosed.

F6947F01-C542-44D6-9078-FA06F4A9E952.jpeg

After it’s built one side can be easily opened to the setup your sleeping area.

29FFABE3-F9D1-46F7-BFE3-0A7BD71D8745.jpg

$2.69 $3 in para cord and a floor.

3D0C5F41-E323-4E21-BE63-2DC173C3A169.jpeg

Let the snow began

F19A11D7-2634-46A8-B7DD-1644BEBF24AD.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts