TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys, new tw enthusiast here.

I am wondering first off will I need to be re-jetting the carbs for the DG "O" series slip on exhaust?

And if so what might be good main and/ or pilot jets to change out to.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well guys, i can shed some light on our question. Apparently the aftermarket slip-on exhausts claim to use the stock jetting. But from what research i have done, stock t-dubs do well with the pilot screw turned out 2 1/2 turns and a 130 main jet installed(as well as a few needle shims, which i am not sure i will attempt yet). I would imagine these adjustments being even more appropriate with an aftermarket exhaust. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Best thing to do is. Ride it stock.notice where you want gains. Then Install exhaust. Ride again. Take note of any changes compared to stock.. Take notations. 2 1/2 the pilot. Ride again. Notate. You like you keep.if not 130 time. Take notations. Post results. Just MHO better to do in steps and track progress. Its kinda hard to say exactly there is a universal setting that works well for all dubs.when taking into consideration different elements such as elevation. Climate and other factors that can affect performance. Saves time and money. And it makes for a simple guide to follow. I run mine stock engine wise. Love it. No complaints. Operator error plays a role also. Feel the bike out. You won't fly up the hill. But you will get to the top. Just my opinion. I'm probably wrong though.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Best thing to do is. Ride it stock.notice where you want gains. Then Install exhaust. Ride again. Take note of any changes compared to stock.. Take notations. 2 1/2 the pilot. Ride again. Notate. You like you keep.if not 130 time. Take notations. Post results. Just MHO better to do in steps and track progress. Its kinda hard to say exactly there is a universal setting that works well for all dubs.when taking into consideration different elements such as elevation. Climate and other factors that can affect performance. Saves time and money. And it makes for a simple guide to follow. I run mine stock engine wise. Love it. No complaints. Operator error plays a role also. Feel the bike out. You won't fly up the hill. But you will get to the top. Just my opinion. I'm probably wrong though.:D
Thanks for the info. Good points

·
Registered
114 Posts
This has always worked for me in auto and moto. Just my theory. But to get guaranteed results without alot of work this is the layout...change airfilter to hi flo. Or replace airbox with uni filter.or drill holes in airbox.Then look to richen fuel mixture. And remove the baffle out of muffler.. so my theory is. Unrestrict air flow. Richen fuel mixture. Unrestrict exhaust flow . If you want more power than that provides. You should look at a 2stroke. Bikes under warranty should be adjusted by warranty mechanics. .Brand new bikes should just be ridden.good riders know there bikes tics and tocks as if they were there own. That ability comes with time invested in riding. The more you ride. The more you learn.I have been riding since I was young. And ill tell you what.. I learn something new everytime I ride. And i try to ride everday. Wether it be my 80 gs1100.. my buell or the dub.every ride is different. Peraonally if my bike was new i would just. Ride it till the wheels fall off And then do upgrades when wheels are being put back on..LOL

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
usually means too lean.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the Dg slip on. I used the stock jetting along with "dial a jet" I don't have any issues with it bogging out or running lean.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have one on my 2006 and with a 130 main(up from 128), needle shimmed .020" and 2.5 turns out on the pilot it runs perfect. My plug is a nice golden brown and it runs nice and crisp on acceleration, no pops on decel. I tried a 132 main as well and that was too rich.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Just for what it's worth...

My 2007 came with an FMF Turbinecore2 on it. Isn't made for the TWs, just a universal slip-on that was pretty nice. Upped my jet and threw a few spacers on the needle, and man was she growling! Due to the pipe not being TW specific, it hung over the tire enough that it was getting rubbed in a pretty bad way. So I decided to get the DG-O. I didn't think there any differences between the O and R aside from shape, and since ProCycle had the O on it's TW page, that's what I got. I also grabbed the silent insert, just in case. Turns out the insert was not "needed" - the Turbinecore was louder, so just putting the O on was a step down in sound for me. Then I got on, and it was horrible. Now I see why people complain when going from stock to some of the aftermarket pipes. Even after playing with the carb some more, it just didn't feel like there was any kick to it. I assumed that because of the size difference, it just wasn't getting as much "blow-back compression"(?) with the bigger, more open pipe. After looking into it, I found that the R did actually have less internal volume that the O - can't find my notes, but it was 11 something (can't remember if it was cm or in - I feel like it was cm) less volume. So I ordered one. And then for giggles, when installing it, also threw on the silencer since it narrows the escape port even more. Jumped on, and it was a night and day difference! I wish I'd known this before buying both pipes within a couple months of each other! I know a lot of newbies order what's on the ProCycle page kind of as gospel (I do!), so I do wish they had the R on there, either instead of the O, or as a choice.

tl;dr: with the smaller internal volume, I feel the DG-R is better for our TWs/performance than the DG-O. And the silencer helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts